Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

Old September 23rd 08, 04:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hardboard over floor - soaking it to prevent bowing?

Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

Thanks
Old September 23rd 08, 05:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

Thanks

Dunno? I was told to leave a mm or so gap between sheets to allow for
expansion,as for wetting?

Old September 23rd 08, 05:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

I've always laid it out in the room in which it was to be used for 48 hours
before fixing so that it could expand/contract as per the temp/humidity of
the room.

Never soaked it - I would have thought that it was asking for excess
expansion and, besides that, I've always avoided getting hardboard wet
because of the degredation of the surface.

--
PeterMcC

inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Old September 23rd 08, 05:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterMcC wrote:
"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

I've always laid it out in the room in which it was to be used for 48
hours before fixing so that it could expand/contract as per the
temp/humidity of the room.

Never soaked it - I would have thought that it was asking for excess
expansion and, besides that, I've always avoided getting hardboard wet
because of the degredation of the surface.

First 2 replies reflect my experiences exactly!

Still if anyone has soaked it - it would be nice to know how they kept
it flat!
Old September 23rd 08, 05:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

PeterMcC wrote:
"Peter Hemmings" wrote in message
. uk...
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was told
to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this really
necessary?

I've always laid it out in the room in which it was to be used for 48
hours before fixing so that it could expand/contract as per the
temp/humidity of the room.

Never soaked it - I would have thought that it was asking for excess
expansion and, besides that, I've always avoided getting hardboard wet
because of the degredation of the surface.

First 2 replies reflect my experiences exactly!

Still if anyone has soaked it - it would be nice to know how they kept it
flat!

When I had a flat soe years ago,hardboard was down over the floor,soeone ust
have wetted it? as the edges were butt up against each other and them edges
were raised slightly probably due to it being wetted?

Old September 23rd 08, 05:46 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold water using
something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it and then leave it
to dry off.

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Unbeliever

Old September 23rd 08, 07:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold water using
something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it and then leave it
to dry off.

Only one side then, the one that lays oon the boards?

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board

Thats the term the person used/

to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Exactly what movement and why not both sides!?

Sorry just, seems a bit weird, but obviously its recommended!

Unbeliever

Old September 23rd 08, 08:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Unbeliever wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold
water using something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it
and then leave it to dry off.

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Hardboard is already tempered in the manufacturing process. Its an oil/heat
process.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old September 23rd 08, 08:50 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold
water using something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it
and then leave it to dry off.

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Hardboard is already tempered in the manufacturing process. Its an oil/heat
process.

Isn't that just oil tempered hardboard?

--
Rod

onset.
Old September 23rd 08, 09:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Unbeliever wrote:
Peter Hemmings wrote:
Hi,

I am just about to lay vinyl on top of some 3.4mm hardboard and was
told to soak it before laying it on top of the floorboards. Is this
really necessary?

Thanks

Peter,

Don't 'soak' it - simply wet the back of the hardboard with cold
water using something like a paddle brush as if you were painting it
and then leave it to dry off.

What's the reason? It's simply to 'temper' the board to reduce the
likelyhood of movement when its laid.

Hardboard is already tempered in the manufacturing process. Its an
oil/heat process.

Dave,

*No* *it's* *not!*

Be a little more accurate Dave and say that some hardboards are oil
tempered - but not all. Just like plywood, there are different grades - and
prices!

Unbeliever