Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default bricklaying - tips for 3-hole bricks ?

I've done the DPC and course above now (DPC looks OK if a bit wonky
around the plastic airbricks !), so onto the maikn walls and
perforated bricks with 3 large holes in them.
All I've layed up to now is solid bricks. and since my mortar
"throwing" is not too good, it tends to be a pile in the middle of the
brick that gets spread out. If I do this with 3-hole bricks, I'll end
up having to fill in the holes completely and waste mortar.
So, any tips for laying 3-hole bricks ? Are the holes supposed to be
completely filled ?
Thanks,
Simon.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"sm_jamieson" wrote in message
I've done the DPC and course above now (DPC looks OK if a bit wonky
around the plastic airbricks !), so onto the maikn walls and
perforated bricks with 3 large holes in them.
All I've layed up to now is solid bricks. and since my mortar
"throwing" is not too good, it tends to be a pile in the middle of the
brick that gets spread out. If I do this with 3-hole bricks, I'll end
up having to fill in the holes completely and waste mortar.
So, any tips for laying 3-hole bricks ? Are the holes supposed to be
completely filled ?
Thanks,
Simon.

Just slap it on top and stop worrying about the stuff falling down the hole.
Put the first holy brick layer down and the next layer is zigzagged so that
the holy brick on the next layer crisscrosses the holes on the bottom layer.

Sheeeesh! builders. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Sep, 11:19, "George" wrote:
[...]

Hah !
I worry far too much. Its how you know I'm not a *real* builder ;-o
Simon.