Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default "Breeze block"

I was surprised the other day when a tradesman called a concrete block a "breeze block". I always thought (and the dictionary agrees) that a breeze block is a lightweight block made of cinder, not a heavy concrete block you can make supporting walls out of.

--
A little girl asked her mother, "Can I go outside and play with the boys?"
Her mother replied, "No, you can't play with the boys, they're too rough."
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default CAUTION!!! Birdbrain, the Pathological Attention Whore, Strikes, AGAIN!

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 16:42:54 +0100, Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson"),

FLUSH the abnormal attention whore's latest idiotic, attention-baiting
bull**** unread again

--
about Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL)
trolling:

--
ItsJoanNotJoann addressing Birdbrain Macaw's (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"You're an annoying troll and I'm done with you and your

--
AndyW addressing Birdbrain:
"Troll or idiot?...

--
Phil Lee adressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are too stupid to be wasting oxygen."

--
Phil Lee describing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I've never seen such misplaced pride in being a ****ing moronic motorist."

--
Tony944 addressing Birdbrain Macaw:
"I seen and heard many people but you are on top of list being first class

--
Pelican to Birdbrain Macaw:
"Ok. I'm persuaded . You are an idiot."

--
DerbyDad03 addressing Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"Frigging Idiot. Get the hell out of my thread."

--
Kerr Mudd-John about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"It's like arguing with a demented frog."

--
Mr Pounder Esquire about Birdbrain Macaw (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"the **** poor delivery boy with no hot running water, 11 cats and

--
Rob Morley about Birdbrain:
"He's a perennial idiot"

--
JoeyDee to Birdbrain
"I apologize for thinking you were a jerk. You're just someone with an IQ

--
Sam Plusnet about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson Sword" LOL):
"He's just desperate to be noticed. Any attention will do, no matter how

--
asking Birdbrain:
"What, were you dropped on your head as a child?"

--
Christie addressing endlessly driveling Birdbrain Macaw (now "James
Wilkinson" LOL):

--
Mr Pounder's fitting description of Birdbrain Macaw:
"You are a well known fool, a tosser, a pillock, a stupid unemployable

--
Richard to pathetic ****** Hucker:
"You haven't bred?

--
about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
""not the sharpest knife in the drawer"'s parents sure made a serious

--
Mr Pounder exposing sociopathic Birdbrain:
"You will always be a lonely sociopath living in a ******** with no hot

--
francis about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"He seems to have a reputation as someone of limited intelligence"

--
Peter Moylan about Birdbrain (now "James Wilkinson" LOL):
"If people like JWS didn't exist, we would have to find some other way to
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 April 2018 16:42:57 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I was surprised the other day when a tradesman called a concrete block a "breeze block". I always thought (and the dictionary agrees) that a breeze block is a lightweight block made of cinder, not a heavy concrete block you can make supporting walls out of.

--
A little girl asked her mother, "Can I go outside and play with the boys?"
Her mother replied, "No, you can't play with the boys, they're too rough."
The little girl thought about it for a few moments and asked, "If I can find a smooth one, can I play with him?"

Obviously of the old school.
The clinker they were made from is slightly radioactive (coal ash) so actual clinker block has been replaced with other insulating blocks.

They made them because the clinker was a waste material and little cement was needed due to the composition of the ash.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 April 2018 16:42:57 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I was surprised the other day when a tradesman called a concrete block a "breeze block". I always thought (and the dictionary agrees) that a breeze block is a lightweight block made of cinder, not a heavy concrete block you can make supporting walls out of.

--
A little girl asked her mother, "Can I go outside and play with the boys?"
Her mother replied, "No, you can't play with the boys, they're too rough."
The little girl thought about it for a few moments and asked, "If I can find a smooth one, can I play with him?"

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nuclear-waste/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 17:40:59 +0100, harry wrote:

On Sunday, 29 April 2018 16:42:57 UTC+1, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
I was surprised the other day when a tradesman called a concrete block a "breeze block". I always thought (and the dictionary agrees) that a breeze block is a lightweight block made of cinder, not a heavy concrete block you can make supporting walls out of.

--
A little girl asked her mother, "Can I go outside and play with the boys?"
Her mother replied, "No, you can't play with the boys, they're too rough."
The little girl thought about it for a few moments and asked, "If I can find a smooth one, can I play with him?"

Obviously of the old school.

He's nearly 60.

The clinker they were made from is slightly radioactive (coal ash) so actual clinker block has been replaced with other insulating blocks.

They made them because the clinker was a waste material and little cement was needed due to the composition of the ash.

So can you still buy a lightweight block? What he called a breezeblock was this (which is as heavy as brick):
https://www.beatsons.co.uk/bricks-an...e-block-p19797
It's basically just pre-made lumps of concrete that you can build with faster than little bricks.

When I were a lad (about 30 years ago), my parents had a spare few breezeblocks lying around, you could throw them about like footballs. They looked like brick, but didn't feel like it. And you could smash them.

--
Bad or missing mouse. Spank the cat [Y/N]?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Senile Yank Alert! LOL

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 09:40:59 -0700 (PDT), harry, obviously another senile,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blathered:

They made them because the clinker was a waste material

So are trolls and their troll-feeding counterparts, idiot!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiot Alert! LOL

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 09:42:39 -0700 (PDT), harry, obviously another senile,
troll-feeding Yankietard, blathered:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...nuclear-waste/

....and a dessert for the attention-starved troll from the senile
troll-feeding idiot! LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote
harry wrote

The clinker they were made from is slightly radioactive (coal ash) so
actual clinker block has been replaced with other insulating blocks.

That may be so, but OOI why should coal ash be
slightly radioactive, more so than anything else

Because the coal is.

and enough to warrant it not being used in cinder blocks?

Ditto.

Ash in coal arises from it's incombustible mineral content,
presumably clay and sand laid down at the same time as
the organic matter that makes up the carbon content.

Or what the organic material that forms the coal falls on etc.

Why should that clay and sand be any more radioactive than
any other clay and sand, e.g. such as that used in bricks?

Presumably because of where it is when the coal formed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Obviously of the old school.
The clinker they were made from is slightly radioactive (coal ash) so actual clinker block has been replaced with other insulating blocks.

They made them because the clinker was a waste material and little cement was needed due to the composition of the ash.

I was told by a builder's merchant at the time that breeze block manufacture was discontinued because the raw material, coal clinker, was unavailable because of the conversion of the railways to diesel power.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

They actually built a railway line here to transport coal to a power station. It lasted about 2 or 3 years, then closed down. ****wits.

--
Bad command or file name! Go stand in the corner.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The clinker they were made from is slightly radioactive (coal ash)
so actual clinker block has been replaced with other insulating
blocks.

That may be so, but OOI why should coal ash be slightly radioactive,
more so than anything else and enough to warrant it not being used
in cinder blocks?

Because coal has traces of uranium in it and burning the coal leaves the
uranium

Ash in coal arises from it's incombustible mineral content,
presumably clay and sand laid down at the same time as the organic
matter that makes up the carbon content. Why should that clay and
sand be any more radioactive than any other clay and sand, e.g. such
as that used in bricks?

Dunno, but it is.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hmm, yes, well breeze blocks seem to be made of all sorts of stuff if the
old garage we had was anything to go by. cinder mainly but it seemed to me
many were made from crushed cement and stone mixed in as well. This would
have dated back to the war, I imagine.
There are also those concrete blocks that have a hole through them. Seen
them used for garage walls as well,with metal rods inside some of them.

Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
I was surprised the other day when a tradesman called a concrete block a
"breeze block". I always thought (and the dictionary agrees) that a breeze
block is a lightweight block made of cinder, not a heavy concrete block you
can make supporting walls out of.

--
A little girl asked her mother, "Can I go outside and play with the boys?"
Her mother replied, "No, you can't play with the boys, they're too rough."
The little girl thought about it for a few moments and asked, "If I can
find a smooth one, can I play with him?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Troll-feeding Idiot Alert!

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 09:55:32 +0100, Brian Gaff, the notorious, troll-feeding
idiot, blabbered again:

Hmm, yes, well

....and the next retarded troll-feeding idiot runs along, unable to resist
the dumbest baits the Scottish sow sets out for the likes of him. LOL
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I always thought a breeze block had to be lightweight, and not simply a block of concrete.

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 09:55:32 +0100, Brian Gaff wrote:

Hmm, yes, well breeze blocks seem to be made of all sorts of stuff if the
old garage we had was anything to go by. cinder mainly but it seemed to me
many were made from crushed cement and stone mixed in as well. This would
have dated back to the war, I imagine.
There are also those concrete blocks that have a hole through them. Seen
them used for garage walls as well,with metal rods inside some of them.

Brian

--
Why didn't Noah swat those two mosquitoes?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 07:57:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

The clinker they were made from is slightly radioactive (coal ash)
so actual clinker block has been replaced with other insulating
blocks.

That may be so, but OOI why should coal ash be slightly radioactive,
more so than anything else and enough to warrant it not being used
in cinder blocks?

Because coal has traces of uranium in it and burning the coal leaves the
uranium

Ash in coal arises from it's incombustible mineral content,
presumably clay and sand laid down at the same time as the organic
matter that makes up the carbon content. Why should that clay and
sand be any more radioactive than any other clay and sand, e.g. such
as that used in bricks?

Dunno, but it is.

Hmm...a quick search on the Internet produces lots of shock-horror
stuff saying that coal ash is radioactive and contains uranium and
thorium, but gives little indication as to why or where it originated.
I'm none the wiser. Maybe the tree ferns and other vegetation that
eventually became the carbon in coal were able to concentrate those
heavy metals from the groundwater.

Alarmists.

--
The only intuitive user interface is the nipple.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 10:35:44 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 07:57:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Maybe the tree ferns and other vegetation that eventually became the
carbon in coal were able to concentrate those heavy metals from the
groundwater.

Brazil nuts are faintly radioactive (as are bananas).

Yebbut that's from potassium. Coal ash is from uranium and thorium.

The extensive root systems work to concentrate *already existing*
radioactive compounds.

Oh, quite. Uranium and thorium are not 'created' under normal
environmental circumstances, nor are any other elements, for that
matter.

Radon?

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2018 14:38, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 12:35:43 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:00:26 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Oh, quite. Uranium and thorium are not 'created' under normal
environmental circumstances, nor are any other elements, for that
matter.

But they are blown into the atmosphere with volcanic activity ?

It doesn't require volcanic activity. Both elements exist in ppm
quantities throughout the earth's crust, more concentrated in some
places than in others. Natural groundwater movements will leach both
species and make them available to plants.

There are other radioactive elements in plants, including potasium
(makes nuts and bananas radioactive) carbon (why carbon dating works)
even oxygen. Its all natural stuff too.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 07:57:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Maybe the tree ferns and other vegetation that eventually became the
carbon in coal were able to concentrate those heavy metals from the
groundwater.

Brazil nuts are faintly radioactive (as are bananas).

Yebbut that's from potassium. Coal ash is from uranium and thorium.

The extensive root systems work to concentrate *already existing*
radioactive compounds.

Oh, quite. Uranium and thorium are not 'created' under normal
environmental circumstances, nor are any other elements, for that
matter.

Radon?

technically you are correct.

"Saki"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/18 16:33, Jethro_uk wrote:
Which leads into an interesting question I encountered recently ...

Lets suppose that 100,000 years ago a civilisation of h. Sapiens emerged
and attained the*exact* same level of technological advancement as we
enjoy today.

Then something caused them to lose it all.

Greens prtobably

What - if any - traces of them could we sensibly expect to survive for us
to find now.

Tons and tons.

Mainly of concrete. Brued under the strata.

Also there wouldn't be any uranium or thorium left.

Or, if you don't like the premise, more straightforwardly, is there
*anything* modern man could do that could leave a 100,000 year legacy ????

Tons and tons. Mainly of concrete

What would our nuclear test sites (and waste) look like in 100,000 years
time ???? Given that they aren't that confident we can contain it at
Sellafield for 100 years ??????

Like nothing special.

What does Hiroshima look like 73 years after being bommbed by an A-bomb?

(it was never 'cleaned up')

https://www.shughal.com/10-images-of...-then-and-now/

...I'd spend it on drink.

Sir Henry (at Rawlinson's End)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/18 16:59, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

The clinker they were made from is slightly radioactive (coal ash) so
actual
clinker block has been replaced with other insulating blocks.

That may be so, but OOI why should coal ash be slightly radioactive,
more so than anything else and enough to warrant it not being used in
cinder blocks?

Coal contains one part per million uranium.

Actually of course everything is "slightly" radioactive, but some
things more so. Like granite, too, so don't go to Dartmoor or you'll
glow.

Actually thet depnds on waqht you mean by 'things' Vast quantities of
pure elements are not radioactive at all.

But any mixture is likely to contain some that are.

Human beings are fairly radioactive, for example.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/18 17:13, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 07:57:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Maybe the tree ferns and other vegetation that eventually became the
carbon in coal were able to concentrate those heavy metals from the
groundwater.

Brazil nuts are faintly radioactive (as are bananas).

Yebbut that's from potassium. Coal ash is from uranium and thorium.
The extensive root systems work to concentrate *already existing*
radioactive compounds.

Oh, quite. Uranium and thorium are not 'created' under normal
environmental circumstances, nor are any other elements, for that
matter.

Radon?

Well yes, if you call radioactive decay a normal environmental
circumstance, which you could, I suppose. In which case you'd include
lead.

Come come come. Of course it's a normal environmental circumstance.
What else would it be?

What is more natural than an atmoic bomb? I know, a fusion bomb! Also
known as a supernova, that created at least half the earth's elements.

Harnesssing natural radioactivity is no different to harnessing wind or
solar power, also created by a far more dangerous reactor with no
shielding that - unlike earth bound reactors - does pose a serious
health hazard.

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 07:57:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Maybe the tree ferns and other vegetation that eventually became the
carbon in coal were able to concentrate those heavy metals from the
groundwater.

Brazil nuts are faintly radioactive (as are bananas).

The extensive root systems work to concentrate *already existing*
radioactive compounds.

It can't be that simple. Plenty of other stuff has extensive
root systems and dont have radioactive fruit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
news

wrote:

[...]

No reason why the bigger stuff like the pyramids wont still be around then.

What would our nuclear test sites (and waste)
look like in 100,000 years time ????

Still obviously where the waste was dumped, just
with different ratios of the various decay components.

After all, the naturally occurring radioactive deposits
have been around for a hell of a lot longer than that.

Given that they aren't that confident we
can contain it at Sellafield for 100 years ??????

Irrelevant to your previous question.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 30 April 2018 16:40:06 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
[...]

The Japan bombs did not explode at ground level.
Most of the radioactivity was dispersed in the atmosphere.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2018 16:18, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 13:00:26 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Oh, quite. Uranium and thorium are not 'created' under normal
environmental circumstances, nor are any other elements, for that
matter.

But they are blown into the atmosphere with volcanic activity ?

It doesn't require volcanic activity. Both elements exist in ppm
quantities throughout the earth's crust, more concentrated in some
places than in others. Natural groundwater movements will leach both
species and make them available to plants.

There are other radioactive elements in plants, including potasium
(makes nuts and bananas radioactive) carbon (why carbon dating works)
even oxygen. Its all natural stuff too.

Yup. But if you'd read upthread, you'd see they've already been
covered. It's the uranium and thorium in the coal ash that gets
people's knickers in a twist.

I think its just the fact that the combustion process in effect
concentrates the trace elements of radioactive elements weight for
weight. So start with a million tons of coal, and it will have small
quantity of uranium and thorium naturally present in it. Burn it, and
the quantity of uranium and thorium will stay roughly the same
(presumably a small amount escapes to the atmosphere), but its now
concentrated into a much smaller volume of ash. Making the ash appear
more radioactive that the coal originally did.

(Thorium contamination is a general problem with many things you dig out
of the ground. It particularly affects rare earth element mining. Until
recently when people have started to consider it might actually become a
useful fuel, its had negative cost - i.e. you had to pay to get someone
to take it off your hands)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 17:00:04 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

In article , Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 07:57:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Maybe the tree ferns and other vegetation that eventually became the
carbon in coal were able to concentrate those heavy metals from the
groundwater.

Brazil nuts are faintly radioactive (as are bananas).

Bananas because of the potassium.

Carrots? Since they make you see in the dark....

--
If the Pope goes #2, does that make it "Holy ****"?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 17:12:03 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 07:57:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Maybe the tree ferns and other vegetation that eventually became the
carbon in coal were able to concentrate those heavy metals from the
groundwater.

Brazil nuts are faintly radioactive (as are bananas).

Yebbut that's from potassium. Coal ash is from uranium and thorium.

Read up about the Oklo natural reactor, and how the uranium there came
to be concentrated. Seems that uranium can be dissolved in oxygenated
water. Oklo was at the junction of two rivers, one with oxygenated
water, the other not. The former could carry the uranium downstream,
but at the junction it would precipitate out, thus concentrating it.

Possibly that same happened somehow with coal deposits.

Interestingly the Oklo reactor of 2 billyun years ago couldn't happen
today, as the proportion of U235 to U238 was around 3% then, only 0.7%
today.

Also of interest is that the waste products of the reactor have not
migrated significantly over the period of time since, so people
worrying about Sellafield are wetting themselves unnecessarily.

I find it's always a good idea to ignore all alarmists. We don't have global warming, we just had two feet of snow. We don't have a shortage of bees, I can see 20 in my front garden right now.

--
Two men were talking.
"My son asked me what I did during the Sexual Revolution," said one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/18 14:13, Chris Hogg wrote:
Yes, I realise that, but if you assume, quite reasonably IMO, that
coal is a mix of coalified organic matter derived from tree ferns
etc that were around in the Carboniferous period (approximately 300
to 350 million years ago), and inorganic material such as sand, silt
and clay deposited at the same time (and which would make up the bulk
of the ash after the coal was burnt), which of those two components
contains more uranium and thorium than the equivalent materials
today? I don't see why the sand, silt and clay in coal should be
significantly different from the stuff used to make bricks today, nor
do I see why the coalified tree ferns should contain it either. Is
modern wood ash, e.g. from wood-burners, significantly radioactive? I
doubt it.

I think you miss a pint. AIUI and its a long time since I looked, coal
was formed in shallow lakes and bogs...essentially where all the water
that leaches stuff out of the hills ends up. In te samne waty te gold
accumulates in stream beds because ist heavy asnd when the water speed
drops, so does the gold out of suspension, heavy metals tend to
accumulate in slow moving water.

Uranium oxide is water soluble, so anywhere where water is trapped, and
filtered or evaporates will naturally accumulate uranium.

That includes plants.

So my question remains: where has the uranium and thorium in coal,
come from? I doubt there will be an answer, unless some lab
somewhere has ground up some coal samples_very_ fine and done a
density separation, or more probably a flotation, to separate the
organic component from the inorganic, and measured the radioactivity
in each

?? I think you are not thinking straight. Uranium is inorganic, period.

Do you mean 'Uranium silts versus uranium in the actual organic matter
as was? because frankly I dont thingk there is much difference once its
coal.

Nor is it scientifically intesting: If a plant grows in uranium rich
soils due to leaching from elsewhere, then whether the dead plant or the
soil remnants contain the uranium is pretty academic. Both do in
reasonable equlibrium.

--
€œit should be clear by now to everyone that activist environmentalism
about their freedom, about the relationship between the individual and

Vaclav Klaus
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/18 15:05, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

[...]

The sun poses a health threat? What **** have you been reading?

Try this for a start, and dispel a very tiny portion of your massive
ignorance

https://www.skincancer.org/skin-canc...n-cancer-facts

Skin cancer, primarily due to sunburn, kills around 3,000 people a year
in this country.

Imagine if nuclear power did the same...

and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally
important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for
the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the
truth is the greatest enemy of the State.

Joseph Goebbels

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/18 15:35, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Tue, 01 May 2018 15:07:46 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Chris Hogg
wrote:

So my question remains: where has the uranium and thorium in coal,
come from? I doubt there will be an answer, unless some lab somewhere
has ground up some coal samples _very_ fine and done a density
separation, or more probably a flotation, to separate the organic
component from the inorganic, and measured the radioactivity in each.

I suggested a possible answer.

Oklo, IIRC. While I realise that uranium and thorium might be
transported by groundwater, that doesn't really explain why they
should be incorporated into deposits that eventually became coal,
especially as coal deposits are widely distributed across the world.

OK so in the Carboniferous, the land masses were very differently
distributed to what they are today*, but I still find that explanation
unlikely. It would require a rather unique set of circumstances to
apply to may large areas of Everglade-type swamp, and why don't other
non-coal deposits of similar age also contain raised levels of U and
Th. Or perhaps they do.

I think 'perhaps they do' is about right.

All plants contain uranium and are thereby radioactive. Its a very
common element and occurs almsot everywhere, but is more pravalent in
rocks that have been extruded from deeper in the mantle - i.e. volcanic
rocks like granite and the like.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pangaea

--
New Socialism consists essentially in being seen to have your heart in
the right place whilst your head is in the clouds and your hand is in

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Ah, I must have imagined being in bed for a week with very bad sunburn
when aged 19, because I foolishly spent the whole day on the beach.

Had a workmate who was pretty ill with sunstroke. After doing a normal
day's work outside in London. Only one on the crew, though, so may have
been susceptible. Was young with a full head of hair.

--
*Jokes about German sausage are the wurst.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
Ah, I must have imagined being in bed for a week with very bad sunburn
when aged 19, because I foolishly spent the whole day on the beach.

Had a workmate who was pretty ill with sunstroke. After doing a normal
day's work outside in London. Only one on the crew, though, so may have
been susceptible. Was young with a full head of hair.

I had a cousin who died of malignant melanoma some 10 years ago. He was my
age

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 01/05/2018 14:13, Chris Hogg wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Apparently you have a very similar issue with wood ash (and I would
expect any ash from burnt "naturally" available energy sources. E.g.

https://inis.iaea.org/search/search...._q=RN:32018428
http://burningissues.org/radwaste1.html

http://www.academia.edu/17942809/Ass...uthwest_Sweden

So my question remains: where has the uranium and thorium in coal,
come from? I doubt there will be an answer, unless some lab somewhere
has ground up some coal samples _very_ fine and done a density
separation, or more probably a flotation, to separate the organic
component from the inorganic, and measured the radioactivity in each.

Radionuclides are naturally present in the environment... so they are
going to end up in organic stuff.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2018 15:10:00 +0100, Tim Streater, another obviously mentally
challenged, troll-feeding moron, blathered:

The sun poses a health threat? What **** have you been reading?

Ah, I must have imagined being in bed for a week with very bad sunburn
when aged 19, because I foolishly spent the whole day on the beach.

....and now you foolishly feed the filthiest, dumbest troll these groups have
ever seen! tsk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 01 May 2018 15:05:13 +0100, Chris Hogg, another obviously mentally
deficient troll-feeding idiot, blabbered:

The sun poses a health threat? What **** have you been reading?

Try this for a start, and dispel a very tiny portion of your massive
ignorance

https://www.skincancer.org/skin-canc...n-cancer-facts

The troll thanks your for taking his bait again, idiot! Gee...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I'll tell you what causes skin problems, people who aren't used to the sun going out in the sun. All these morons buying suncream and staying pasty white. I never use suncream, my skin gets used to it and gets tanned, and I never ever get burnt. The sun is a natural phenomenon, and believing we're supposed to invent artificial chemicals to shield ourselves from it is preposterous.

--
"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

The treehuggers will have you believe it does.

--
A highway patrolman pulled alongside a speeding car on the freeway. Glancing at the car, he was astounded to see that the blonde behind the wheel was knitting!
Realizing that she was oblivious to his flashing lights and siren, the trooper cranked down his window, turned on his bullhorn and yelled, "PULL OVER!"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Sez the little **** all who uses a sun lamp without eye protection. He
thinks that it makes him look attractive to women. Wrong as always phucker -
who is now back on the dole. IQ of 138 and signing on.
******.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/04/2018 11:35, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 07:57:37 +0100, Chris Hogg wrote:

Maybe the tree ferns and other vegetation that eventually became the
carbon in coal were able to concentrate those heavy metals from the
groundwater.

Brazil nuts are faintly radioactive (as are bananas).

The extensive root systems work to concentrate *already existing*
radioactive compounds.

Seem to remember that Brazil nuts are one of the most radioactive
foodstuffs around ( radioactivity by weight).