Martin Angove

Default Thin plastic gasket

Sis-in-law broke a (manky plastic) light switch and bought a nice shiny
chrome "flush" switch as a replacement. Connecting the thing up
(complete with earth which wasn't there previously) wasn't a problem but
after screwing the thing to the wall I found a thin, clear plastic
gasket in the packaging. The instructions say this should be fitted
between the faceplate and the wall... but why? There's a glued-on foam
gasket on the back of the faceplate anyway, so what is the plastic one
for?

Any ideas?

Hwyl!

M.

--
Martin Angove: http://www.tridwr.demon.co.uk/
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk/
BigWallop

"Martin Angove" wrote in message
Sis-in-law broke a (manky plastic) light switch and bought a nice shiny
chrome "flush" switch as a replacement. Connecting the thing up
(complete with earth which wasn't there previously) wasn't a problem but
after screwing the thing to the wall I found a thin, clear plastic
gasket in the packaging. The instructions say this should be fitted
between the faceplate and the wall... but why? There's a glued-on foam
gasket on the back of the faceplate anyway, so what is the plastic one
for?

Any ideas?

Hwyl!

M.

When you clean, or even just touching the face plate to use the switch, you
can touch the wall around the sides, so the thin plastic film is there to
stop marks getting on the wall. It may actually stop any tarnishing from
the metal plate marking the wall on some makes of switch gear.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

The Natural Philosopher

BigWallop wrote:

[...]

Oh. Is that what its for. I binned all of mine.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

BigWallop

BigWallop wrote:

[...]

I only fit them for customers. I binned all mine as well. :-))