Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Old manhole cover rating

I am trying to find out what the load rating of an old cast iron manhole
cover marked:

24 x 18 BSS 02 26 GF

is ?

The size is obvious but cant find any reference to old BS standards.

It has been damaged by a contractor and there is a "dispute" about what
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Sep, 16:22, robert wrote:
I am trying to find out what the load rating of an old cast iron manhole
cover marked:

24 x 18 * BSS 02 26 GF

That's not a BS number, they're usually 3 or 4 digits.

Old grey cast iron is usually non-load bearing because it is brittle,
generally only pedestrian use. They've bust it, so it's probably this
stuff.
The modern modern stuff you see on roads is ductile/spheroidal
graphite cast iron which has only been around since about 1949 ISTR.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

robert wrote:
I am trying to find out what the load rating of an old cast iron
manhole cover marked:

24 x 18 BSS 02 26 GF

is ?

The size is obvious but cant find any reference to old BS standards.

It has been damaged by a contractor and there is a "dispute" about
what loading/grade they should replace it with !
Thanks

The cheapest galvanised ones from B&Q are 2T rated, IE rated to carry 2
tonnes, more than enough for a domestic drive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Sep, 22:23, "Phil L" wrote:

The cheapest galvanised ones from B&Q are 2T rated, IE rated to carry 2
tonnes, more than enough for a domestic drive

True. I replaced some paved-over hidden cast iron ones after my car
went through one of them. Darn, I said.
I've since had a loaded skip lorry drive over the replacements
(galvanized tray with inset paviors & plastic frame) with no ill-
effects.

The only BS for manhole covers I know of was BS 497 Part1: 1976.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It happens that Phil L formulated :
robert wrote:
I am trying to find out what the load rating of an old cast iron
manhole cover marked:

24 x 18 BSS 02 26 GF

is ?

The size is obvious but cant find any reference to old BS standards.

It has been damaged by a contractor and there is a "dispute" about
what loading/grade they should replace it with !
Thanks

The cheapest galvanised ones from B&Q are 2T rated, IE rated to carry 2
tonnes, more than enough for a domestic drive

I bought 2x 2tonne rated ones to put in my drive and they buckled just
with the weight of my car. The local supplier had recommended them as
suitable, so I had him come round to inspect them. He agreed to swap
both for 4tonne rated ones which have been fine.

I'm not sure how the rating is calculated, but I suspect it is for a
distributed load rating rather than a point loading as you might get
with a car tyre in the middle of it.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Phil L" writes:

The cheapest galvanised ones from B&Q are 2T rated, IE rated to carry 2
tonnes, more than enough for a domestic drive

I bought one of these from a builder's merchant to replace a
broken 1909 cast iron one on a footpath. When you stepped on
it, there was quite a ping-pong as it deformed and sprung
back. Changed it for a cast iron vehicle class one (7 or 10
tonnes, or something like that). Was only a few pounds more
expensive, but that was before the price of steel rocketed.

--
Andrew Gabriel