Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ultrasonic measures mit laser dot

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door
frames, alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

Just searched the B&Q (bloody useless) site for 'ultrasonic measure'. Only
two results, B&Q own brand & Ryobi. I know they do B&D + Stanley, I've seen
them in there.

Specification for the Ryobi 'Stud Sensor & Ultrasonic Measure' icluded the
phrase "2 year warranty. Must be connected by qualified electrician".

Is inserting a 9v battery really covered by Part P?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

Good for approximate measurements IME, not usually that accurate.

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door
frames, alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

The best ones are the Leica laser measures. But be prepared to spend
£200 ish for one of those.

Just searched the B&Q (bloody useless) site for 'ultrasonic measure'. Only
two results, B&Q own brand & Ryobi. I know they do B&D + Stanley, I've seen
them in there.

Specification for the Ryobi 'Stud Sensor & Ultrasonic Measure' icluded the
phrase "2 year warranty. Must be connected by qualified electrician".

Is inserting a 9v battery really covered by Part P?

Depends on where in the electrician you insert it ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:28:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Err ain't that what a tape measure's for?

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

I was 'presented' with one quite a few years (maybe 15 years or so) ago as
an aid to measuring the height of overhead lines. I wasn't overly
impressed, but the technology might have improved over the years. It was
something of a toy; it's lying around somewhere in one of the gsrage
cupboards now.

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:28:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door
frames, alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Err ain't that what a tape measure's for?

Well, yes. In t'olden days tapes used to have 'add xxx' on the base so you
could accurately measure inside dimensions, but none of my tapes seem to
have that now.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic
measures?

Good for approximate measurements IME, not usually that accurate.

Hmmm.

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door
frames, alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum
range whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

The best ones are the Leica laser measures. But be prepared to spend
£200 ish for one of those.

Gulp!

Methinks a digital tape with an 'include case' function might be better.

Just searched the B&Q (bloody useless) site for 'ultrasonic
measure'. Only two results, B&Q own brand & Ryobi. I know they do
B&D + Stanley, I've seen them in there.

Specification for the Ryobi 'Stud Sensor & Ultrasonic Measure'
icluded the phrase "2 year warranty. Must be connected by qualified
electrician". Is inserting a 9v battery really covered by Part P?

Depends on where in the electrician you insert it ;-)

Lets not go there...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 07:00:53 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Well, yes. In t'olden days tapes used to have 'add xxx' on the base so
you could accurately measure inside dimensions, but none of my tapes
seem to have that now.

All mine have including the £1 5m metric only from Tesco, except that has
the "add xxx" in imperial!

As for ultrasonic measures, they aren't that good unless your tolerance is
+/- 1 foot in every ten. Good enough for estate agents but I wouldn't
trust one for short distances or for any accuracy. You really don't know
what it is getting reflections off, even with a laser spot. Doing the
width of an alcove cupboard, is it "seeing" the open cupboard door or the
wall reccessed 6" further back or some combination?

As Mr Rumm has said you if you want decent accuracy you need to go to
laser only, at least then you can be sure what you are measuring from the
spot location. They don't come cheap and I'm not sure what the minimum
range is either.

The B&Q wbiste doesn't have half the things you'll find in store. It's
mostly "home wares" rather than DIY stuff, I guess so they don't compete
with the sister company Screwfix.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17 Sep, 06:59, The Wanderer wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:28:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Err ain't that what a tape measure's for?

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. *Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

I was 'presented' with one quite a few years (maybe 15 years or so) ago as
an aid to measuring the height of overhead lines. I wasn't overly
impressed, but the technology might have improved over the years. It was
something of a toy; it's lying around somewhere in one of the gsrage
cupboards now.

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes = "If you can read this,
you are over educated". Not sure quite what this has to do with DIY.

Now if your tag was "Si fractum non sit, noli id reficere", that would
make sense!

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I recently bought the Bosch DLE50 - so good, I wish I bought one ages
ago.

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...+laser&x=0&y=0

In practice, measures down to about 250mm - which is the only
shortcoming I can find.

Has a simple press button to change the measurement reference point
from the back edge of the box (the default, and what you'd naturally
do for any internal measurement), to the front edge, to a little pop
out spike(for getting into corners), to a tripod point (can't see me
using that one).

Checked accuracy with tapes at all sorts of distances, better than
their spec.

Didn't think I'd use the area and volume measures, or cumulative
memory - but they've made them very easy to use, so I do.

It was on offer at my builders merchants (Ridgeons) so paid less than
the Screwfix price and got a quite reasonable free watch (which will
be somebody's crimbo present).

Where it comes into it's own is the places hard to measure accurately
with a tape on your own - and you want to measure several spots to
pick out the narrowest point etc.

I did wonder if I was "over-buying" something that would get limited
use, but I'm finding it gets used a lot - above all because it's
supremely easy to use - and quick.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"The Medway Handyman" writes:
Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

I walked past ALDI yesterday on the way back from the dentist, and
noticed they had some. I didn't note any of the details or price, sorry.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

I walked past ALDI yesterday on the way back from the dentist, and
noticed they had some. I didn't note any of the details or price, sorry.

Shh, you will have Andy rolling in his grave.
They didn't look to be very good to me, IIRC they were £15.

Ultrasonic measures are survey tools not building tools IMO.

I suppose a garden deck is OK if one side is 5% longer than the other.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Sep, 23:28, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. *Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Simpler, and more accurate: http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-B...ape-377259.htm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:28:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door
frames, alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Err ain't that what a tape measure's for?

Well, yes. In t'olden days tapes used to have 'add xxx' on the base so you
could accurately measure inside dimensions, but none of my tapes seem to
have that now.

Reckon you'm buying from the wrong sources! Even the el cheapo that Father
Christmas brought me last year when we were out for lunch on the 25th (DSL
promeasure) has the width of case marked - +3 7/8"/99mm. It even has a
built in light to help read the scale in dark corners!

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Wanderer wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:28:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Err ain't that what a tape measure's for?

A tape measure often needs someone to hold the 'silly' end, or you
struggle on your own. With a laser or ultrasonic measure, you can do
it single handed.

That's why they are so popular with surveyors, carpet fitting
estimators and ... handymen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 14:40:43 +0100, Bruce wrote:

The Wanderer wrote:

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:28:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Err ain't that what a tape measure's for?

A tape measure often needs someone to hold the 'silly' end, or you
struggle on your own. With a laser or ultrasonic measure, you can do
it single handed.

That's why they are so popular with surveyors, carpet fitting
estimators and ... handymen.

' I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door
frames, alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.'

A 1" tape will quite happily support itself over short distances. As others
have commented, and based on my own experience, there can be quite a wide
margin of error with ultrasomnic devices, unless, I guess, you're using a
high spec model.

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Thats exactly the situation I find.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

dennis@home wrote:
"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

I walked past ALDI yesterday on the way back from the dentist, and
noticed they had some. I didn't note any of the details or price,
sorry.

Shh, you will have Andy rolling in his grave.
They didn't look to be very good to me, IIRC they were £15.

Ultrasonic measures are survey tools not building tools IMO.

I suppose a garden deck is OK if one side is 5% longer than the other.

Not if I build it! That could work out at 8" on a 15' deck. I'd accept
maybe 1/4" over 15'.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman brought next idea :
Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

I have tried two or three and all have been reasonably accurate, given
the low resolution of the displays. They are fine for rough
measurements, but really not intended to replace a tape measure.

They can suffer errors if the surface they are aimed at isn't flat or
if it has things protruding from the surface.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
The Wanderer wrote:
On Tue, 16 Sep 2008 22:28:41 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic
measures? I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like
door
frames, alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Err ain't that what a tape measure's for?

Well, yes. In t'olden days tapes used to have 'add xxx' on the base
so you could accurately measure inside dimensions, but none of my
tapes seem to have that now.

Dave,

Well simply measure the case at the bottom (just in case your not sure of
the bottom - it's where the tape 'thingy' sticks out) and then add that on
to your measurement!

Ah! And don't forget to take into account the thickness of the bent 'thingy'
on the end of the tape - you know, that 'hooky' thing that usually slides to
account for thickness differences on inside and outside dimensions --that is
of course if you want to be accurate in youre measuring!

Simple really - providing you can do the complicated maths. ;-)

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door
frames, alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

Thanks for all the comments chaps. Popped into Axminster today & spotted a
Skil 0525 digital tape
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-S...ure-480341.htm

Had a play with it & it works a treat, just what I needed & accurate to +/-
1mm.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 17 Sep 2008 20:48:00 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Thanks for all the comments chaps. Popped into Axminster today & spotted a
Skil 0525 digital tape
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-S...ure-480341.htm

Had a play with it & it works a treat, just what I needed & accurate to +/-
1mm.

Oh, far greater accuracy than you'll need then! :-))

--
Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes

the dot wanderer at tesco dot net

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Anyone have any specific knowledge/experience of ultrasonic measures?

I'm looking for a simple accurate way of measuring things like door frames,
alcoves, cupboard interiors etc rather than complete rooms.

Most seem to have a minimum range of 60cm which is fine, maximum range
whatever. Like one with a laser pointer to make life easier.

Take 2 strips of 50mm doorstop timber, less thah the alcoves you want to
measure. drill a hole for a bolt some way from the end of one. cut a
slot along the length of the other to take the bolt. use a bolt with a
wing nut and assemble. put into alcve and slide so that the ends are
touching the sides of the alcove. Tighten the wing nut. You now have
an accurate measure of the width of the cacove which you can transfer to
the timber you need to cut

Malcolm