Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Garden fence treatment

Just bought twenty 6x6 panels and I have decided to treat them now
instead of leaving for a year and then treating them.

Recommendations on what to use please?

I would like a colour like light gold, not brown, or perhaps a light
green. Something that will be absorbed, but will work and preserve
and last for a few years.

With the fav creosote now sadly gone I am a bit lost.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
Just bought twenty 6x6 panels and I have decided to treat them now
instead of leaving for a year and then treating them.

Recommendations on what to use please?

I would like a colour like light gold, not brown, or perhaps a light
green. Something that will be absorbed, but will work and preserve
and last for a few years.

With the fav creosote now sadly gone I am a bit lost.

Sensible approach . Do them whilst laying flat.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John said...

Sensible approach . Do them whilst laying flat.

Unless Eric has very long arms, he'll struggle to paint the top of the
fence in that position

Noz
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
Just bought twenty 6x6 panels and I have decided to treat them now
instead of leaving for a year and then treating them.

Recommendations on what to use please?

I would like a colour like light gold, not brown, or perhaps a light
green. Something that will be absorbed, but will work and preserve
and last for a few years.

With the fav creosote now sadly gone I am a bit lost.

I also sadly miss creosote but there is always creosote substitute. Wickes
stocks a light gold, the Bartoline website mentions Conifer Green though I
have never seen it.

Jim A

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

"EricP" wrote in message
Just bought twenty 6x6 panels and I have decided to treat them now
instead of leaving for a year and then treating them.

Recommendations on what to use please?

I would like a colour like light gold, not brown, or perhaps a light
green. Something that will be absorbed, but will work and preserve
and last for a few years.

With the fav creosote now sadly gone I am a bit lost.

I also sadly miss creosote but there is always creosote substitute.
Wickes stocks a light gold, the Bartoline website mentions Conifer Green
though I have never seen it.

Jim A

You can still get genuine creosote at my local builders merchant. I haven't
tried to purchase any because it's in 25 Litre containers. It might be old
stock, but it's definitely there.

Nothing can be less pleasant that creosote substitute in my experience.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 19:24:33 +0100, "Jim Alexander"
wrote:

"EricP" wrote in message
.. .
Just bought twenty 6x6 panels and I have decided to treat them now
instead of leaving for a year and then treating them.

Recommendations on what to use please?

I would like a colour like light gold, not brown, or perhaps a light
green. Something that will be absorbed, but will work and preserve
and last for a few years.

With the fav creosote now sadly gone I am a bit lost.

I also sadly miss creosote but there is always creosote substitute. Wickes
stocks a light gold, the Bartoline website mentions Conifer Green though I
have never seen it.

Jim A

I am going to Wickes for something else. I will look. Many thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
Just bought twenty 6x6 panels and I have decided to treat them now
instead of leaving for a year and then treating them.

Recommendations on what to use please?

I would like a colour like light gold, not brown, or perhaps a light
green. Something that will be absorbed, but will work and preserve
and last for a few years.

With the fav creosote now sadly gone I am a bit lost.

I also sadly miss creosote but there is always creosote substitute.
Wickes stocks a light gold, the Bartoline website mentions Conifer Green
though I have never seen it.

Jim A

You can still get genuine creosote at my local builders merchant. I haven't
tried to purchase any because it's in 25 Litre containers. It might be old
stock, but it's definitely there.

Nothing can be less pleasant that creosote substitute in my experience.

So I have been told, and thanks for confirming. Thanks for the tip
about the real stuff. I may be able to club together with a couple of
neighbours!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"EricP" wrote in message
[...]

If you're in the south you need to check out Buildbase.
www.buildbase.co.uk

I suspect it may be necessary to convince them you are "trade" or perhaps a
farmer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nozza wrote:
In article , John said...

Sensible approach . Do them whilst laying flat.

Unless Eric has very long arms, he'll struggle to paint the top of the
fence in that position

Noz

Why's that? Any point on a 6ft panel is never more than 3ft from one of
the edges - all you have to do is walk around.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21 Aug, 21:49, "Vortex3" wrote:
"Jim Alexander" wrote in message

"EricP" wrote in message
.. .
Just bought twenty 6x6 panels and I have decided to treat them now
instead of leaving for a year and then treating them.

Recommendations on what to use please?

I would like a colour like light gold, not brown, or perhaps a light
green. Something *that will be absorbed, but will work and preserve
and last for a few years.

With the fav creosote now sadly gone I am a bit lost.

I also sadly miss creosote but there is always creosote substitute.
Wickes stocks a light gold, the Bartoline website mentions Conifer Green
though I have never seen it.

Jim A

You can still get genuine creosote at my local builders merchant. *I haven't
tried to purchase any because it's in 25 Litre containers. *It might be old
stock, but it's definitely there.

Nothing can be less pleasant that creosote substitute in my experience.- Hide quoted text -

Dear All
That is very suprising! If true the vendor and user places themselves
at risk of prosecution - ok the risk is low but it is there and in
reality the S
s*** is only likely to hit the fan if there is some form of accident
or someone "complains" (nosy next door neighbours abound!).

Note
The approval for advertisement and sale of amateur products by the
company that holds the approval for creosote/coal tar creosote
products under the Control of Pesticides Regulations, or their agents
expired on 28 February 2003. As such, any approval holder or their
agent currently advertising or selling amateur products may be liable
to prosecution. Enforcement will be carried out by HSE, local
authority Environmental Health Officers or local authority Trading
Standards Officers. Prosecutions may be brought under the Food and
Environment Protection Act 1985.

read it all up on
http://www.hse.gov.uk/biocides/copr/creosote.htm

If you do have access to real creosote (as opposed to a store that is
conning you that what they are selling is the real thing when it is
not) then I would recommend good gloves and skin protection and would
not wash the brushes down the drain!

Chris G

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Champ wrote:
Nozza wrote:
In article , John said...

Sensible approach . Do them whilst laying flat.

Unless Eric has very long arms, he'll struggle to paint the top of the
fence in that position

Why's that? Any point on a 6ft panel is never more than 3ft from one of
the edges - all you have to do is walk around.

Whooosh!

Pete

Garden Fence ?? doobydoobydo UK diy 3 June 13th 07 07:00 PM
Wooden Fence Post Preventative Treatment? Wayne Whitney Home Repair 1 May 5th 05 03:12 PM
Wooden garden fence [email protected] Woodworking 7 March 28th 05 08:58 PM
Garden fence Terry D UK diy 2 March 23rd 04 12:15 PM
Garden fence posts Mortimer UK diy 8 February 6th 04 12:50 PM