Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet cistern

Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements for the thin plastic
sheets in the syphon of a toilet cistern?
I have cut out plastic to replace them but they don't work so well as
the original.
Thanks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements for the thin plastic
sheets in the syphon of a toilet cistern?
I have cut out plastic to replace them but they don't work so well as
the original.

Anywhere at all which sells plumbing bits, eg B&Q, Wickes, plumbers
merchants...

Though personally I've always just cut bits of heavy-duty polythene to
fit, without problems. If you buy a bespoke membrane you may well have
to cut that anyway (if that's your problem), as the cross-section
dimensions of syphons vary.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:

Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements for the thin plastic
sheets in the syphon of a toilet cistern?
I have cut out plastic to replace them but they don't work so well as
the original.

For the £4ish cost of a new siphon, is it really worth trying to repair
an old one?
Alan.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 12:41*pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
chudford wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements for the thin plastic
sheets in the syphon of a toilet cistern?
I have cut out plastic to replace them but they don't work so well as
the original.

For the £4ish cost of a new siphon, is it really worth trying to repair
an old one?
Alan.

It is easy to change the diaphram as the top of the syphon can be
removed without disturbing the inlet and outlet connections.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"chudford" wrote in message
On Aug 19, 12:41 pm, (A.Lee) wrote:
chudford wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements for the thin plastic
sheets in the syphon of a toilet cistern?
I have cut out plastic to replace them but they don't work so well as
the original.

For the £4ish cost of a new siphon, is it really worth trying to repair
an old one?
Alan.

It is easy to change the diaphram as the top of the syphon can be
removed without disturbing the inlet and outlet connections.

Have some of the family become heavy handed - as they got used to using a
worn diaphragm. Now they are perhaps pulling too hard and damaging the
replacement? Or is it a case that the replacement isn't flexing enough - or
too much?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 05:35:09 -0700 (PDT), chudford
wrote:

It is easy to change the diaphram as the top of the syphon can be
removed without disturbing the inlet and outlet connections.

11p way down the bottom of this page
http://www.bes.co.uk/products/119.asp
but not worth it if you are not buying anything else.

I bought 2 at a pound each from our local DIY shop - I was most surprised when
he said they had them...

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote:
Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements for the thin plastic
sheets in the syphon of a toilet cistern?
I have cut out plastic to replace them but they don't work so well as
the original.

Go to Staples or any office supplies place & buy some of those translucent
plastic folders with a press stud. Nice strong thick plastic - and a range
of attractive pastel shades...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

chudford wrote in message
Can anyone tell me where I can get replacements for the thin plastic
sheets in the syphon of a toilet cistern?
I have cut out plastic to replace them but they don't work so well as
the original.
Thanks

Any decent plumbers merchant stock them for a few pence
But take the old one along as the are about 20 different shapes/sizes.

-

Toilet cistern overflow [email protected] UK diy 10 March 30th 08 10:18 PM
Toilet cistern syphon Steve UK diy 5 May 16th 07 07:36 PM
Toilet cistern Staffbull UK diy 5 January 16th 07 01:57 PM
The cistern and toilet The3rd Earl Of Derby UK diy 12 January 22nd 06 07:49 PM
Toilet Cistern John UK diy 4 December 4th 04 12:02 AM