Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi Plumbers tools

Aldi have these on offer from Thursday
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-08-15-11-27

I bought a set last time they had them. The waterpump pliers are excellent,
well worth £7:99 on their own. The waste pliers are also excellent for
getting that extra turn on a compression waste. Never used the stiltsons
but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

BTW, anyone know how this works?
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6925.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Aldi have these on offer from Thursday
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-08-15-11-27

I bought a set last time they had them. The waterpump pliers are

excellent,
well worth £7:99 on their own. The waste pliers are also excellent for
getting that extra turn on a compression waste. Never used the stiltsons
but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

BTW, anyone know how this works?
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6925.htm

For a moment there on reading the bumpf I thought it said..."**** blockages"
lol

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

I wish they'd sell Pipe benders,something they havn't sold yet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 18, 10:48*pm, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:
Aldi have these on offer from Thursdayhttp://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6924.htm?WT.mc_id=2008-08-15-...

I bought a set last time they had them. *The waterpump pliers are excellent,
well worth £7:99 on their own. *The waste pliers are also excellent for
getting that extra turn on a compression waste. *Never used the stiltsons
but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

BTW, anyone know how this works?http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6925.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

That might be a flexible rod or probe. I used one when
I had a septic tank if I found any blocked outlets.

Once the blockage was two very young rats!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Aldi have these on offer from Thursdayhttp://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6924.htm?WT.mc_id=2008-08-15-...

I bought a set last time they had them. *The waterpump pliers are excellent,
well worth £7:99 on their own. *The waste pliers are also excellent for
getting that extra turn on a compression waste. *Never used the stiltsons
but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

BTW, anyone know how this works?http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6925.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handymanwww.medwayhandyman.co.uk

That might be a flexible rod or probe. *I used one when
I had a septic tank if I found any blocked outlets.

Once the blockage was two very young rats!

It also works for poking out leaves if any land in gullies,
etc.
It's a great tool and quite gentle since you just jiggle
it about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Aldi SDS+, Was: Aldi Plumbers tools

and now:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6953.htm

Might be useful for a bit of concrete related brutality. Anyone had a
previous Aldi SDS?

Cheers

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 21:48:11 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

BTW, anyone know how this works?
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6925.htm

From the page you connect one end of one of the pipes to your tap and
stuff the other end down the plug hole of the blocked drain. Turn on the
tap and jets of water squirt out the far end dislodging the crud.

This is fine provided the pipe has enough diameter left to carry the lumps
of dislodged crud...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim S coughed up some electrons that declared:

and now:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6953.htm

Might be useful for a bit of concrete related brutality. Anyone had a
previous Aldi SDS?

Cheers

Tim

Oh, and ALDI's claim of suitable "for light demolition work" may be an
understatement.

According to:

http://www.walter-service.com/shop/r...500w-p-63.html

It's an 8kg monster, with 8.8J impact energy.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
and now:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6953.htm

Might be useful for a bit of concrete related brutality. Anyone had a
previous Aldi SDS?

not had one from aldi before, but gonna have one from the 24th, along with
the chisel and drill bit set, and a sledge hammer, and a wide broom, and the
trowel set, gonna be an expensive week is next week

my current sds drill was a makro special, the gears for the rotation
stripped a year ago, kept it just to use as a concrete breaker, never needed
to till we moved home, it was fine on the fence posts, but the damn flag
pole which is a scaffold pole held in with very strong cement was too much
for the supplied flat chisel, snapped it off at the shank, the pointy chisel
is still working but dont break the concrete appart enough, i'm 2 and a half
foot through and the end is still not in sight, just my luck if it's a 12
foot scaffold pole

just what is it with these flag flying people, bloke 3 doors down flies the
georges cross, leaves it out all the tim,e so when it's windy the whole
street is kept amused by the 'tink, tink, tink' noise as the metal bits on
the rope bang against the pole,

this place has a big flag pole socket in the front garden and the scaffold
pole socket in the back garden, the bloke who lived here before was a right
filthy *******, so he prolly used them to hang his ****ted Y fronts out to
dry, and that would not be an exageration based on what we found under ethe
rotten kitchen cabinets, and i'm not even going to mention the cooker with a
ferret turd in the oven!!!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:29:35 +0100, Tim S wrote:

and now:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6953.htm

Might be useful for a bit of concrete related brutality. Anyone had a
previous Aldi SDS?

Cheers

Tim

Yes, it works well. My hands are numb from yesterdays work on old
concrete post holes. (

It weighs a ton and is only suitable for short time use, unless you
work out three hours a day. In which case buy two, one for each hand.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

BTW, anyone know how this works?
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/58_6925.htm

Badly. The adapters don't fit any UK tap thread I'm familiar with.

The basic idea is good. Long hose with a tiny waterjet nozzle at the
end. If you have kitchen sink drains with fat buildup (and you can solve
the adapter issue), then it removes deposits quite effectively.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 01:12:55 +0100, gazz wrote:

not had one from aldi before, but gonna have one from the 24th, along
with the chisel and drill bit set, and a sledge hammer, and a wide
broom, and the trowel set, gonna be an expensive week is next week

I was more interested in the diamond core drill set but they don't give
the diameters of the cores! Same for the drill set (though I have a fairly
comprehensive collection anyway). If the core set doesn't have something
that will allow a 110mm pipe to pass through I'm not that interested as
the nearest Aldi is a 50 mile round trip.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"gazz" wrote in message

just what is it with these flag flying people, bloke 3 doors down flies
the georges cross, leaves it out all the tim,e so when it's windy the
whole street is kept amused by the 'tink, tink, tink' noise as the metal
bits on the rope bang against the pole,

Some NF members do that to advertise their presence.
Its the reason why local councils don't like people flying flags.

this place has a big flag pole socket in the front garden and the scaffold
pole socket in the back garden, the bloke who lived here before was a
right filthy *******, so he prolly used them to hang his ****ted Y fronts
out to dry, and that would not be an exageration based on what we found
under ethe rotten kitchen cabinets, and i'm not even going to mention the
cooker with a ferret turd in the oven!!!

Sounds like a typical NF turd.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Aldi have these on offer from Thursday
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-08-15-11-27

I bought a set last time they had them. The waterpump pliers are
excellent, well worth £7:99 on their own. The waste pliers are also
excellent for getting that extra turn on a compression waste. Never used
the stiltsons but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine. A serious
pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim S" wrote in message
and now:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6953.htm

Might be useful for a bit of concrete related brutality. Anyone had a
previous Aldi SDS?

Don't expect budget SDS drills to last when under intense use. They are
fine for "occasional" DIY use. Budget mains drills are fine, they are great
value for money.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Aldi have these on offer from Thursday
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-08-15-11-27

I bought a set last time they had them. The waterpump pliers are
excellent, well worth £7:99 on their own. The waste pliers are also
excellent for getting that extra turn on a compression waste. Never
used the stiltsons but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine. A
serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or so.

Unless you've actually tried them you're just guessing. And probably a
poor guess. Certainly Lidl tools are up to as much use/abuse as any other.
And better than many 'brands' at a much higher price.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Don't expect budget SDS drills to last when under intense use. They are
fine for "occasional" DIY use. Budget mains drills are fine, they are
great value for money.

You've changed your tune. At one time you said the sites were full of
tradesmen using 'shed' brands relying on the long warranty to give them
value. Perhaps you've actually visited some sites.

--
*El nino made me do it

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Don't expect budget SDS drills to last when under intense use. They are
fine for "occasional" DIY use. Budget mains drills are fine, they are
great value for money.

You've changed your tune. At one time you said the sites were full of
tradesmen using 'shed' brands relying on the long warranty to give them
value. Perhaps you've actually visited some sites.

No one uses cheap SDS drills. The only one I know, used a £25 cheapo as a
distress purchase when his SDS burnt out on a job. I know another who has a
£25 cheapie in his van in case his prime SDS burns out. This gives reduces
down time until the prime SDS is replaced ASAP, like next day from Screwfix
direct to a job. Down time can kill the profit on a job if it runs over
another day and another customer is waiting for a promised 8:00 am start the
next day.

I know many who have cheapish battery drills and mains general purpose
drills.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
Aldi have these on offer from Thursday
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-08-15-11-27

I bought a set last time they had them. The waterpump pliers are
excellent, well worth £7:99 on their own. The waste pliers are also
excellent for getting that extra turn on a compression waste. Never
used the stiltsons but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine. A
serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or so.

Unless you've actually tried them you're just guessing.

Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine. A
serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or so."

When water pump pliers slip they can be dangerous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Unless you've actually tried them you're just guessing.

Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are
fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a
month or so."

Saying it again doesn't make it true as you're just guessing.

When water pump pliers slip they can be dangerous.

Any tool slipping can be dangerous.

--
*He who dies with the most toys is, nonetheless, dead.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
You've changed your tune. At one time you said the sites were full of
tradesmen using 'shed' brands relying on the long warranty to give them
value. Perhaps you've actually visited some sites.

No one uses cheap SDS drills. The only one I know, used a £25 cheapo as
a distress purchase when his SDS burnt out on a job. I know another
who has a £25 cheapie in his van in case his prime SDS burns out. This
gives reduces down time until the prime SDS is replaced ASAP, like next
day from Screwfix direct to a job. Down time can kill the profit on a
job if it runs over another day and another customer is waiting for a
promised 8:00 am start the next day.

I know many who have cheapish battery drills and mains general purpose
drills.

The one thing that shows up a cheap cordless tool is the poor batteries
(and often poor charger). Both making their use for pro work a nonsense.

--
*What boots up must come down *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
[...]

They replace when the batteries are running down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Unless you've actually tried them you're just guessing.

Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are
fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a
month or so."

Saying it again

Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine.
A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or
so."

well duh, how many proffesional people buy their tools from aldi tho,

i thought this was a DIY group, usually one person doing one off jobs in
their house, so why pay 300 quid out for a tool that can be used a billion
times without fail when you need it to do 5 or 6 jobs and that's it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Unless you've actually tried them you're just guessing.

Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are
fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a
month or so."

Saying it again

Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine.
A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or
so."

well duh, how many proffesional people buy their tools from aldi tho,

i thought this was a DIY group, usually one person doing one off jobs in
their house, so why pay 300 quid out for a tool that can be used a billion
times without fail when you need it to do 5 or 6 jobs and that's it.

I agree with you. For DIY hand tools use them occasionally and they are
fine. A pro started this thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
gazz wrote:
Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are
fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a
month or so."

well duh, how many proffesional people buy their tools from aldi tho,

i thought this was a DIY group, usually one person doing one off jobs in
their house, so why pay 300 quid out for a tool that can be used a
billion times without fail when you need it to do 5 or 6 jobs and
that's it.

As I said the difference isn't that great - if any at all. There are too
many tool 'experts' that think price and brand always determine the actual
longevity of a tool. That might have been the case once but not these days.

--
*Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
The one thing that shows up a cheap cordless tool is the poor
batteries (and often poor charger). Both making their use for pro work
a nonsense.

They replace when the batteries are running down.

Thanks for proving yet again you don't ever use a cordless tool in anger.
Short life batteries with a poor charger make life a misery when used
heavily.

--
*Acupuncture is a jab well done*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:29:35 +0100, Tim S wrote:

and now:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6953.htm

Might be useful for a bit of concrete related brutality. Anyone had a
previous Aldi SDS?

Just like the one that broke my hand last year!, I have some doubts about
the clutch

I notice the long drill bits are now a 3 pack instead of a 4, thats
inflation for you I guess.

Steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
The one thing that shows up a cheap cordless tool is the poor
batteries (and often poor charger). Both making their use for pro work
a nonsense.

They replace when the batteries are running down.

Thanks

Please eff off you are a total idiot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve coughed up some electrons that declared:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 23:29:35 +0100, Tim S wrote:

and now:

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_6953.htm

Might be useful for a bit of concrete related brutality. Anyone had a
previous Aldi SDS?

Just like the one that broke my hand last year!, I have some doubts about
the clutch

I just emailed walter-service.com about that, PRESUMING that like the wall
chaser, the ALDI SDS is really a Walter...

I had back a reply very quickly, and I quote an excerpt:

"The rotary hammer is fitted with a safety clutch and this is tested /
calibrated on the production line.

Calculated according to the relevant European standard (EN 60745) the max
slip torque for the safety clutch in this machine is 68 Nm."

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Doctor Drivel wrote:
Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are
fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a
month or so."

When water pump pliers slip they can be dangerous.

No pro worthy of the name would use these things anyway - they damage the
surface of whatever you're attempting to turn. A true bodger's tool -
probably why you know so much about them.

--
*If you don't like the news, go out and make some.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are
fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a
month or so."

When water pump pliers slip they can be dangerous.

No pro

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are
fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a
month or so."

When water pump pliers slip they can be dangerous.

No pro

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Is that the best you can manage after all those weeks in treatment?

--
*Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are
fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a
month or so."

When water pump pliers slip they can be dangerous.

No pro

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Is

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Aldi have these on offer from Thursday
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-08-15-11-27

I bought a set last time they had them. The waterpump pliers are
excellent, well worth £7:99 on their own. The waste pliers are also
excellent for getting that extra turn on a compression waste. Never
used the stiltsons but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine. A
serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or
so.

Good job I posted to UK DIY and not UK Serious Pipe Fitters then innit?

I've used the pliers almost on a daily basis for 18 months, they show no
signs of wear or damage.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
Again...."If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they
are fine. A serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would
last a month or so."

When water pump pliers slip they can be dangerous.

No pro

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Is

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

He's got you there Dave. You can't argue with an intelligent sophisticated
retort like that.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Doctor Drivel wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Aldi have these on offer from Thursday
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-08-15-11-27

I bought a set last time they had them. The waterpump pliers are
excellent, well worth £7:99 on their own. The waste pliers are also
excellent for getting that extra turn on a compression waste. Never
used the stiltsons but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine. A
serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or
so.

Good job I posted to UK DIY and not UK Serious Pipe Fitters then innit?

I've used the pliers almost on a daily basis for 18 months, they show no
signs of wear or damage.

Indeed - as I'd expect. Some time ago I bought the pliers and cutters set
from Lidl and the cutters were the equal of very much more expensive ones
- they coped fine with piano wire.

Dribble, of course, is the one who cuts plastic pipe with a hacksaw and
floods the street. So has little knowledge about the tools required for
plumbing.

--
*Elephants are the only mammals that can't jump *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Dave Plowman (News)"
saying something like:

Please eff off as you are a total plantpot.

Is that the best you can manage after all those weeks in treatment?

I'd have thought he'd have learned a new line by now.
--
Dave
GS850x2 XS650 SE6a

"It's a moron working with power tools.
How much more suspenseful can you get?"
- House

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Doctor Drivel wrote:
"The Medway Handyman" wrote in
message om...
Aldi have these on offer from Thursday
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers...08-08-15-11-27

I bought a set last time they had them. The waterpump pliers are
excellent, well worth £7:99 on their own. The waste pliers are also
excellent for getting that extra turn on a compression waste. Never
used the stiltsons but they are very solidly made.

Real bargain.

If you are using them occasionally for DIY, then they are fine. A
serious pipe fitter would laugh at them as they would last a month or
so.

Good job I posted to UK DIY and not UK Serious Pipe Fitters then innit?

I've used the pliers almost on a daily basis for 18 months, they show no
signs of wear or damage.

They are far from full pro quality and the price reflects that.