Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Plasterboard and old ceilings

OK, I give up. Finally been nagged enough to do something with the
kitchen ceiling.

The kitchen is fairly small and it's got an enclosed pipe running across
one part of it so it would be ideal to be able to bring the level of the
ceiling down to this level (about 3 inches lower).

Do I *really* have to pull down the existing plaster and lath to expose
the beams above or can I just pull off the (tiny) loose bits and locate
the beams and then batten at right angles to the appropriate level
before putting plaster board over it?

Do I need to use fire proof board because it's a kitchen and should I
use 9.5, 12.5 or 15mm board?

Final question, do I need a plasterer afterwards or can I just cover it
with lining paper and paint it?

Not trying to cut corners unnecessarily but money is rather tight at the
moment and I'd rather be able to do this for myself if I can.
--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
OK, I give up. Finally been nagged enough to do something with the
kitchen ceiling.

The kitchen is fairly small and it's got an enclosed pipe running across
one part of it so it would be ideal to be able to bring the level of the
ceiling down to this level (about 3 inches lower).

Do I *really* have to pull down the existing plaster and lath to expose
the beams above or can I just pull off the (tiny) loose bits and locate
the beams and then batten at right angles to the appropriate level
before putting plaster board over it?

Do I need to use fire proof board because it's a kitchen and should I
use 9.5, 12.5 or 15the usemm board?

Final question, do I need a plasterer afterwards or can I just cover it
with lining paper and paint it?

Not trying to cut corners unnecessarily but money is rather tight at the
moment and I'd rather be able to do this for myself if I can.
--
Clint Sharp

You can cut out the need for battens if you reroute the pipe,much easier,use
12.5mm in the kitchen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message
om...

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
OK, I give up. Finally been nagged enough to do something with the
kitchen ceiling.

The kitchen is fairly small and it's got an enclosed pipe running across
one part of it so it would be ideal to be able to bring the level of the
ceiling down to this level (about 3 inches lower).

Do I *really* have to pull down the existing plaster and lath to expose
the beams above or can I just pull off the (tiny) loose bits and locate
the beams and then batten at right angles to the appropriate level
before putting plaster board over it?

You can cut out the need for battens if you reroute the pipe,much
easier,use
12.5mm in the kitchen.

How would you suggest doing it?
Locate the wood then attach directly against the old ceiling?
Screw or nails?

Ta.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Clint Sharp wrote:
[...]

You could just fix plasterboard through the old plaster without battens.
I'm pretty sure that's what a plasterer would do.

Might be easier to just move the pipe, especially if you have easy
access from above
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 17, 11:11*am, Clint Sharp wrote:

[...]

9mm PB is fine for a false ceiling, on a light timber frame, eg 2x2.
You can fix it to existing ceiling or have it free floating - the
former is easier, the later gives extra noise reduction.

No need to pull anything existing down.
Final treatment can be plaster skim, filled joints or paper lining,
upto you. Filling is cheapest.
Fireproof board, no, basic PB is fireproof already.

However what you propose seems like a lot of work, cant you reroute
the pipe?

Stuart Noble:
You could just fix plasterboard through the old plaster without battens.
I'm pretty sure that's what a plasterer would do.

I can picture it now, a layer of PB hanging on 6" screws screwed only
half way in

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , George
writes
You can cut out the need for battens if you reroute the pipe,much easier,use
12.5mm in the kitchen.

Re-Routing the pipe is going to be 'A bugger' (TM) because the floor
above has been covered in ply to facilitate the laying of tiles.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , stuart noble
writes
You could just fix plasterboard through the old plaster without
battens. I'm pretty sure that's what a plasterer would do.

You're probably right but I mentioned that the ceiling wasn't level
already so it'd make life difficult trying to get it level.

Might be easier to just move the pipe, especially if you have easy
access from above

No easy access plus I suspect the pipe may be a gas pipe so I'd not be
happy doing it myself.

--
Clint Sharp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Clint Sharp" wrote in message
In message , George
writes
You can cut out the need for battens if you reroute the pipe,much

easier,use
12.5mm in the kitchen.

Re-Routing the pipe is going to be 'A bugger' (TM) because the floor
above has been covered in ply to facilitate the laying of tiles.

--
Clint Sharp

What are doing in uk.d-i-y then?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 18, 10:21*am, Clint Sharp wrote:
In message
,
writes9mm PB is fine for a false ceiling, on a light timber frame, eg 2x2.
You can fix it to existing ceiling or have it free floating - the
former is easier, the later gives extra noise reduction.

Frame seems the way to go, I'd fix to the walls and then have the frame
running at right angles and fixed to the beams above, shimming to make
level. 9mm it shall be. Another reason for doing that would be that it'd
make recessing lights very easy.

No need to pull anything existing down.
Final treatment can be plaster skim, filled joints or paper lining,
upto you. Filling is cheapest.

Filled joints I think, I can manage to level a simple straight line with
plaster.

Fireproof board, no, basic PB is fireproof already.

OK, that's good.
However what you propose seems like a lot of work, cant you reroute
the pipe?

Nope. See earlier replies, no access from above and I think it may be
gas anyway (I'll find out, I'm going to remove the box around it next
weekend)

Stuart Noble:
You could just fix plasterboard through the old plaster without battens.
I'm pretty sure that's what a plasterer would do.

I can picture it now, a layer of PB hanging on 6" screws screwed only
half way in

Sounds lovely, I can just imagine SWMBO's reaction when she finds her
nice new ceiling on top of the fridge! I'll check that the tent's OK
before I do that.

heh. Just one last thing, I'd use smaller boards than 4x8 for overhead
work.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Aug 19, 7:56*am, Clint Sharp wrote:
In message
,
writes Sounds lovely, I can just imagine SWMBO's reaction when she finds her
nice new ceiling on top of the fridge! I'll check that the tent's OK
before I do that.

heh. Just one last thing, I'd use smaller boards than 4x8 for overhead
work.

Yeah, already seen the 1.2x2.4 metre boards and went pale at the
thought. Thanks to all who replied (sensibly). I'll see if I can post
some pics of before, intermediate and after somewhere so people can fold
their arms, suck their teeth and say 'You didn't wanna do it that way'.

NT

You could post them on the wiki if you like, then the newer readers
will know how to do it.

I dont know if you're familiar with it. In case not,
- to start a page just type the title into the search box
- to include a pic, write:
[[imageicture_name.jpg|thumb|any_comment_here]
- when the pic doesnt show, click it to upload it.

NT

re skimming ceilings benpost UK diy 5 January 4th 08 01:32 PM
Popcorn Ceilings John Home Repair 10 September 24th 07 04:40 PM
Ceilings & Plasterboard Steve Gontarek UK diy 11 July 20th 04 07:36 PM
Plasterboards and ceilings Mike Saunders UK diy 2 May 7th 04 08:45 PM
Plasterboard thickness for ceilings James W UK diy 14 July 5th 03 09:34 PM