New electric meter - how to read ( Economy 7 tarriff reader)

Old August 17th 08, 11:19 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New electric meter - how to read ( Economy 7 tarriff reader)

I have been given a new electric meter. Its 10 foot above my head so reading
it is a exercise in logistics anyway. I have to climb up and try to see it
but each display only stays on for a few seconds when you press them.

Its white, the main face shows a single reading which constantly tics over.

To find out what is what you have to get up and press a blue button at the
top of the meter.

This then gives ( no order here because I cant recall now)
a) a date
press again
b) a time
press again
c a reading marked R
press again
d) a reading marked T

Can someone tell me which T and R stand for ? Which is day and which is
night.
I am trying to read this meter because there is something wrong with the
way its reading ( or something wrong with the house wiring) because I am
using 200 quids worth of electric a month and I have nothing on. It seems
to be something coming on at night or the night readings are out (
according to the bill) but I dont know which is which any more.

It used to be N and L and you could see them both clearly on the old meter.
Now I cant see anything and I don't which is which.

So does anyone have one of these meters and can they tell me what R and T
mean? Which is day and which is night.?

Thank you

Old August 17th 08, 02:05 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I have been given a new electric meter. Its 10 foot above my head so reading
it is a exercise in logistics anyway. I have to climb up and try to see it

Ask them to come back and mount it somewhere more suitable aka safe to
access - you consider it to be a safety risk where it is, and will go
through the HSE if they don't...

It should be within 6 feet of the incoming supply / main fuse, on the
same wall (ideally), so hopefully that would give scope for it to be
resited. You also want an isolator fitting so you can work on your own
equipment without having to call them out to pull the main fuse.

You may find you'll have to provide your own tails from the consumer
unit to the isolator switch.
Old August 17th 08, 02:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

I am trying to read this meter because there is something wrong with the
way its reading ( or something wrong with the house wiring) because I am
using 200 quids worth of electric a month and I have nothing on.

If you have an isolator switch, switch it off, and see if it's still
recording use.

Are you in a flat, or otherwise shared accomodation of any sort ? - it
could be that the wiring is unbeknownst to you, shared with another.

Take readings now, photograph them if possible, holding a newspaper so
that the date is showing.

Check if the meter is using units against both readings - it could be
that their timeswitch or radio telemeter (switches on receipt of a
radio signal) is knackered.
Old August 18th 08, 10:08 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Colin Wilson" o.uk wrote
in message g...
I am trying to read this meter because there is something wrong with the
way its reading ( or something wrong with the house wiring) because I am
using 200 quids worth of electric a month and I have nothing on.

If you have an isolator switch, switch it off, and see if it's still
recording use.

Are you in a flat, or otherwise shared accomodation of any sort ? - it
could be that the wiring is unbeknownst to you, shared with another.

Take readings now, photograph them if possible, holding a newspaper so
that the date is showing.

Check if the meter is using units against both readings - it could be
that their timeswitch or radio telemeter (switches on receipt of a
radio signal) is knackered.

Thankyou all for the advice. I have now worked out that R stands for day
rate and T is night rate.
I have systematically switched everything off and established the problems
may lie with one storage heater which unfortunately tends to be the one
that has been kept on most of the year ( its unseasonably cold and
permanently raining).

Its now switched off and the meter has dropped to 20 units use overnight
( and that includes the water heater/ immersion which comes on for two
hours.) . Day usage being 16 but we had an electric fire on because of the
cold yesterday. That is significantly lower than it was running.

If I extrapolate the figures for 90 days that would give a night usage of
18473 units. The bill for last quarter showed a usage of 5268 overnight.
You can see why I am worried!

The day rate works out roughly right given that yesterday was a Sunday and
usage was higher. During the week nothing much would be used during the day
( with the heating on at night the fire would not have been in use either).

I need to get new heaters ( the ones I have are 1978 vintage)

Before anyone says anything...... Gas and LPG are not options here. No mains
gas and nowhere to site the LPG tanks with H&S regulations. The price of oil
makes that not worth the outlay. I will probably have to open up a fire
place and put coal in although the cost of that is considerable now ( having
checked it recently and noted that several of my neighbours have just put in
storage heaters changing from oil) or find cheaper heaters.

Old August 18th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"endymion" wrote in message

Before anyone says anything...... Gas and LPG are not options here. No
mains gas and nowhere to site the LPG tanks with H&S regulations. The
price of oil makes that not worth the outlay. I will probably have to
open up a fire place and put coal in although the cost of that is
considerable now ( having checked it recently and noted that several of my
neighbours have just put in storage heaters changing from oil) or find
cheaper heaters.

Have a look at air sourced heat pumps (e.g. the air conditioners in B&Q but
find somewhere better).
You get about three times as much heat out as the power you put in and they
don't cost that much.
Bear in mind they will cost you more if you use them to cool in the summer.

Old August 18th 08, 01:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:44:57 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Have a look at air sourced heat pumps (e.g. the air conditioners in B&Q
but find somewhere better). You get about three times as much heat out
as the power you put in and they don't cost that much.

A thought but night storage heaters use electricity that is about 1/3 the
cost of the electric during the day... Overall you might not make any
savings on running costs. It would be possible to change to a non-E7
tarrif though and get all power at a price about double the night rate and
2/3 the day rate.

Air sourced might not work that well in the winter, tendancy to ice up but
would be more flexable than night storage heaters. Heat when you want it.
Having said that some modern storage heaters are much more sophisticated
and better insulated than old ones. They allow you to set when you want
the heat. So no more sudden cold snaps and the things running out of heat
early evening or sudden warm periods and having to open the windows...

Swings and roundabouts.

As to LPG or oil, probably wise to avoid ATM. Crude prices have fallen
recently, now about $110/barrel from $140 in July. 28sec oil has dropped
but is still around 52p/l.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old August 18th 08, 08:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:08:15 +0100, endymion wrote:

I will probably have to open up a fire place and put coal in although
the cost of that is considerable now

Probably better to put in a wood burner or multifuel stove with a boiler.
Much better at getting the heat where you want it than an open fire. You
will need space to store the fuel though.

(having checked it recently and noted that several of my neighbours have
just put in storage heaters changing from oil)

Not surprised oil is almost but not quite the same cost as normal domestic
electricity these days. I don't like storage heaters though, mainly for
the reasons outlined in another message. A "cold snap" up here means
overnight mins of -10C... The cottage (all electric) needs new heaters, so
I'll be looking at the more sophisticated ones for that.

or find cheaper heaters.

To maintain a given temperature in a given room you'll need the same
energy input no matter it's source, you just need to try and pick the
cheapest. Un fortunately no energy source is particularly cheap anymore.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old August 19th 08, 08:53 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 01:52:46 +0100, dave wrote:

Good advice but beware the standing charge for "tariff that is not
E7".

With very few exceptions *all* tarrifs have a standing charge of some
sort. Either directly stated as so many pence/day or by paying a premium
for the first n units per billing period. The amount of the "standing
charge" by either method is usually the same or within a penny or so.

Cost of power between a "standing charge" and "no standing charge"
versions of the same nominal tarrif are also the same, though I have a
sneaky feeling that some do have a little variation these days. The only
way to be sure is check the details of the tarrifs with the supplier.

btw I have not received an electricity bill for the past 3 quarters
even though have written and asked for one (3)!

How are you paying? If you haven't had a bill how do you know you are a)
paying the right company b) how much to pay them and c) the amount is
correct for your useage/tarrif?

If by Direct Debit stop it with your bank, don't tell the supplier. That
will normally make them sit up an pay proper attention within a week.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old August 19th 08, 08:54 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"dave" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:58:04 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 09:44:57 +0100, dennis@home wrote:

Good advice but beware the standing charge for "tariff that is not
E7". At present I'm (still) trying to sort out why I have a 20% hike
(in one quarter) for my night storage heaters, while the other meter
(for everything else, was only about 2%!
A cynic (i.e. me) might think the elec co want me to switch to E7.
btw I have not received an electricity bill for the past 3 quarters
even though have written and asked for one (3)!
When is it EnergyWatch to get the chop again :-) or rather :-(

I see one or two of you may know something about storage heaters. Mine are
many years old. I do not plan on changing them all but I am pretty sure the
meter is being hiked by one particular one which is broken.

I could try and repair it / have it repaired ( thermostat I think) but it
is a solder job in this heater and I cannot say I can do that, and I have
to find the part. I cant seem to find one . A 1979 heater is probably
defunct.

I am looking at a new one for replacement. I have seen Creda ( same make
as current but not the same make because Creda is no longer TI) . A Robinson
Willey, a Sunhouse, a Dimplex ( I have two smaller dimplex already and have
to say they do not impress me but.... ) and something called an Elnur.

Other than it has to be 3.4 KW to replace the existing, has anyone any
recommendations for make?