A DIY & home improvement forum. DIYbanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » DIYbanter forum » Do - it - Yourself » UK diy
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

UK diy (uk.d-i-y) For the discussion of all topics related to diy (do-it-yourself) in the UK. All levels of experience and proficency are welcome to join in to ask questions or offer solutions.

Laptop LCD screen problems



 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old August 15th 08, 03:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 141
Default Laptop LCD screen problems

Sorry for posting twice in a short time, but I have another problem,
which probably isnt for this forum but someone may be able to point me
to a decent forum that can help...

I have an Acer Aspire 3630 Laptop which has developed a screen
problem. The screen will only work when I hold it in the top left
corner and apply slight pressure down and to the right, as if to
slightly twist the screen.

When this started it was less frequent and I managed to move the
screen around a bit until it worked and then as long as I didnt move
it again it was fine. But now it is permanant and the pressure needig
to be applied seems to be increasing! To the point now that I can't
even use it unless I plug it into an external monitor (my LCD tv)

When plugged into the tv the display is fine. When the screen "breaks"
on the laptop the image freezes at that point in time, so I cant use
the mouse etc as it is as if it has been paused! when pressure is
applied it works again.

I have googled the problem and found no answer I have also looked into
buying a new screen, which is my next option after asking on here, but
they are around 100 and if i can avoid this I want to!

I have had the screen apart, and checked all connections, cables etc
and found nothing loose and nothing that makes it work when "wiggled".
So I am at a loss!

Any advice as to how to fix this without buying a new screen would be
very very helpful. I have already resigned myself to buying a new one,
this is really my last ditch attempt to save my wallet!!!

Thanks
Ads
  #2  
Old August 15th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6
Default Laptop LCD screen problems

On 15 Aug, 15:39, Thomarse wrote:
Sorry for posting twice in a short time, but I have another problem,
which probably isnt for this forum but someone may be able to point me
to a decent forum that can help...

I have an Acer Aspire 3630 Laptop which has developed a screen
problem. The screen will only work when I hold it in the top left
corner and apply slight pressure down and to the right, as if to
slightly twist the screen.

When this started it was less frequent and I managed to move the
screen around a bit until it worked and then as long as I didnt move
it again it was fine. But now it is permanant and the pressure needig
to be applied seems to be increasing! To the point now that I can't
even use it unless I plug it into an external monitor (my LCD tv)

When plugged into the tv the display is fine. When the screen "breaks"
on the laptop the image freezes at that point in time, so I cant use
the mouse etc as it is as if it has been paused! when pressure is
applied it works again.

I have googled the problem and found no answer I have also looked into
buying a new screen, which is my next option after asking on here, but
they are around 100 and if i can avoid this I want to!

I have had the screen apart, and checked all connections, cables etc
and found nothing loose and nothing that makes it work when "wiggled".
So I am at a loss!

Any advice as to how to fix this without buying a new screen would be
very very helpful. I have already resigned myself to buying a new one,
this is really my last ditch attempt to save my wallet!!!

Thanks


It sounds like you have a connection problem with either the LCD
inverter or the backlight.
If you can remove the bezel you should be able to narrow down which of
the components responds to the application of physical pressure.

The bezel is normally removed by pulling out the rubber plugs around
the screen and removing the screws under them.

The LCD inverted is easily replaced - it has 2 connectors which plug
into it - and a replacement can normally be had for ~20.

Mark.

www.kpcomputerstore.co.uk
  #3  
Old August 15th 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 141
Default Laptop LCD screen problems

On Aug 15, 4:06*pm, wrote:
On 15 Aug, 15:39, Thomarse wrote:





Sorry for posting twice in a short time, but I have another problem,
which probably isnt for this forum but someone may be able to point me
to a decent forum that can help...


I have an Acer Aspire 3630 Laptop which has developed a screen
problem. The screen will only work when I hold it in the top left
corner and apply slight pressure down and to the right, as if to
slightly twist the screen.


When this started it was less frequent and I managed to move the
screen around a bit until it worked and then as long as I didnt move
it again it was fine. But now it is permanant and the pressure needig
to be applied seems to be increasing! To the point now that I can't
even use it unless I plug it into an external monitor (my LCD tv)


When plugged into the tv the display is fine. When the screen "breaks"
on the laptop the image freezes at that point in time, so I cant use
the mouse etc as it is as if it has been paused! when pressure is
applied it works again.


I have googled the problem and found no answer I have also looked into
buying a new screen, which is my next option after asking on here, but
they are around 100 and if i can avoid this I want to!


I have had the screen apart, and checked all connections, cables etc
and found nothing loose and nothing that makes it work when "wiggled".
So I am at a loss!


Any advice as to how to fix this without buying a new screen would be
very very helpful. I have already resigned myself to buying a new one,
this is really my last ditch attempt to save my wallet!!!


Thanks


It sounds like you have a connection problem with either the LCD
inverter or the backlight.
If you can remove the bezel you should be able to narrow down which of
the components responds to the application of physical pressure.

The bezel is normally removed by pulling out the rubber plugs around
the screen and removing the screws under them.

The LCD inverted is easily replaced - it has 2 connectors which plug
into it - and a replacement can normally be had for ~20.

Mark.

www.kpcomputerstore.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Thanks mark,

I have already had it all apart and couldnt seem to find any didgy
connections. Teh components I could see we

The screen itself

A circuit board at the bottom of the screen, whih had connections
going in and out of it (inverter)?

And on the back of the screen, top left (where I have to apply
pressure to get it working) is a circuit board, the connection lead to
this is fine, however the board then goes "into" the screen via a
ribbon?, which I cannot check as it becomes part of the screen itself?

  #4  
Old August 15th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,461
Default Laptop LCD screen problems

On Aug 15, 4:06*pm, wrote:
On 15 Aug, 15:39, Thomarse wrote:



Sorry for posting twice in a short time, but I have another problem,
which probably isnt for this forum but someone may be able to point me
to a decent forum that can help...


I have an Acer Aspire 3630 Laptop which has developed a screen
problem. The screen will only work when I hold it in the top left
corner and apply slight pressure down and to the right, as if to
slightly twist the screen.


When this started it was less frequent and I managed to move the
screen around a bit until it worked and then as long as I didnt move
it again it was fine. But now it is permanant and the pressure needig
to be applied seems to be increasing! To the point now that I can't
even use it unless I plug it into an external monitor (my LCD tv)


When plugged into the tv the display is fine. When the screen "breaks"
on the laptop the image freezes at that point in time, so I cant use
the mouse etc as it is as if it has been paused! when pressure is
applied it works again.


I have googled the problem and found no answer I have also looked into
buying a new screen, which is my next option after asking on here, but
they are around 100 and if i can avoid this I want to!


I have had the screen apart, and checked all connections, cables etc
and found nothing loose and nothing that makes it work when "wiggled".
So I am at a loss!


Any advice as to how to fix this without buying a new screen would be
very very helpful. I have already resigned myself to buying a new one,
this is really my last ditch attempt to save my wallet!!!


Thanks


It sounds like you have a connection problem with either the LCD
inverter or the backlight.
If you can remove the bezel you should be able to narrow down which of
the components responds to the application of physical pressure.

The bezel is normally removed by pulling out the rubber plugs around
the screen and removing the screws under them.

The LCD inverted is easily replaced - it has 2 connectors which plug
into it - and a replacement can normally be had for ~20.

Mark.

www.kpcomputerstore.co.uk



You've got a loose connection or a dry solder joint. Since the problem
is picture freeze, the problem is not with the invertor, but with
either the data cable that connects to the screen, or the data
processing circuitry built into the screen. Best way to locate a loose
or dry joint is to tap around fairly gently using a non-conductive
pencil shaped thing. Hit the troubled spot and it should respond,
working and freezing as you go.

Whether you can then fix it depends whats at fault.


NT
  #5  
Old August 15th 08, 04:38 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 141
Default Laptop LCD screen problems

On Aug 15, 4:34*pm, wrote:
On Aug 15, 4:06*pm, wrote:





On 15 Aug, 15:39, Thomarse wrote:


Sorry for posting twice in a short time, but I have another problem,
which probably isnt for this forum but someone may be able to point me
to a decent forum that can help...


I have an Acer Aspire 3630 Laptop which has developed a screen
problem. The screen will only work when I hold it in the top left
corner and apply slight pressure down and to the right, as if to
slightly twist the screen.


When this started it was less frequent and I managed to move the
screen around a bit until it worked and then as long as I didnt move
it again it was fine. But now it is permanant and the pressure needig
to be applied seems to be increasing! To the point now that I can't
even use it unless I plug it into an external monitor (my LCD tv)


When plugged into the tv the display is fine. When the screen "breaks"
on the laptop the image freezes at that point in time, so I cant use
the mouse etc as it is as if it has been paused! when pressure is
applied it works again.


I have googled the problem and found no answer I have also looked into
buying a new screen, which is my next option after asking on here, but
they are around 100 and if i can avoid this I want to!


I have had the screen apart, and checked all connections, cables etc
and found nothing loose and nothing that makes it work when "wiggled"..
So I am at a loss!


Any advice as to how to fix this without buying a new screen would be
very very helpful. I have already resigned myself to buying a new one,
this is really my last ditch attempt to save my wallet!!!


Thanks


It sounds like you have a connection problem with either the LCD
inverter or the backlight.
If you can remove the bezel you should be able to narrow down which of
the components responds to the application of physical pressure.


The bezel is normally removed by pulling out the rubber plugs around
the screen and removing the screws under them.


The LCD inverted is easily replaced - it has 2 connectors which plug
into it - and a replacement can normally be had for ~20.


Mark.


www.kpcomputerstore.co.uk


You've got a loose connection or a dry solder joint. Since the problem
is picture freeze, the problem is not with the invertor, but with
either the data cable that connects to the screen, or the data
processing circuitry built into the screen. Best way to locate a loose
or dry joint is to tap around fairly gently using a non-conductive
pencil shaped thing. Hit the troubled spot and it should respond,
working and freezing as you go.

Whether you can then fix it depends whats at fault.

NT- Hide quoted text -

- Show quoted text -


Its all just tiny circuits in the board, no way my soldering skills
would fix it I dont think, it doesnt sound very hopeful!

Thanks
  #6  
Old August 15th 08, 06:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 9,420
Default Laptop LCD screen problems

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:30:56 -0700 (PDT), Thomarse wrote:

And on the back of the screen, top left (where I have to apply
pressure to get it working) is a circuit board, the connection lead to
this is fine, however the board then goes "into" the screen via a
ribbon?, which I cannot check as it becomes part of the screen itself?


That ribbon will be the problem somewhere. The connection to the actual
tracks on the glass of the LCD is done by sticky stuff on the ribbon and
pressure to push the ribbons tracks against those of the panel. Sometimes
there can be a block of conductive "rubber" doing the connection.

You might be able to bring it back into life by putting a small wedge in
the right place.

--
Cheers
Dave.



  #7  
Old August 18th 08, 09:34 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 141
Default Laptop LCD screen problems

On Aug 15, 6:19*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:30:56 -0700 (PDT), Thomarse wrote:
And on the back of thescreen, top left (where I have to apply
pressure to get it working) is a circuit board, the connection lead to
this is fine, however the board then goes "into" thescreenvia a
ribbon?, which I cannot check as it becomes part of thescreenitself?


That ribbon will be the problem somewhere. The connection to the actual
tracks on the glass of the LCD is done by sticky stuff on the ribbon and
pressure to push the ribbons tracks against those of the panel. Sometimes
there can be a block of conductive "rubber" doing the connection.

You might be able to bring it back into life by putting a small wedge in
the right place.

--
Cheers
Dave.


Thansk for all the advice.

I had the screen apart again over the weekend and double checked all
connections and circuit boards, no problems. I also had a look at the
ribbon which joins the circuit board at the top, back of the screen
into the screen, and couldnt see how it could be pushed in any further
etc.

The screen is still not working. I think it is terminal unfortunately :
( so I am going to have to buy a new one I think!!!

Any other last ditch advice/ideas would be good

Cheers
  #8  
Old August 18th 08, 09:55 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 8,461
Default Laptop LCD screen problems

On Aug 18, 9:34*am, Thomarse wrote:
On Aug 15, 6:19*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:



On Fri, 15 Aug 2008 08:30:56 -0700 (PDT), Thomarse wrote:
And on the back of thescreen, top left (where I have to apply
pressure to get it working) is a circuit board, the connection lead to
this is fine, however the board then goes "into" thescreenvia a
ribbon?, which I cannot check as it becomes part of thescreenitself?


That ribbon will be the problem somewhere. The connection to the actual
tracks on the glass of the LCD is done by sticky stuff on the ribbon and
pressure to push the ribbons tracks against those of the panel. Sometimes
there can be a block of conductive "rubber" doing the connection.


You might be able to bring it back into life by putting a small wedge in
the right place.


--
Cheers
Dave.


Thansk for all the advice.

I had the screen apart again over the weekend and double checked all
connections and circuit boards, no problems. I also had a look at the
ribbon which joins the circuit board at the top, back of the screen
into the screen, and couldnt see how it could be pushed in any further
etc.

The screen is still not working. I think it is terminal unfortunately :
( so I am going to have to buy a new one I think!!!

Any other last ditch advice/ideas would be good

Cheers


Its not something youve got the skill to fault find or fix. You could
give it to someone that needs a pc or a kid with soldering skills, or
perhaps get another broken machine of same type and swap. You cant do
whats needed, game over.


NT
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Recycle Laptop Screen! [email protected] Electronics 1 June 8th 06 05:11 AM
Recycle Laptop Screen! [email protected] Electronics Repair 2 May 25th 06 09:51 PM
Connections of laptop screen h.e. buyck Electronics Repair 1 April 7th 05 08:30 PM
HP Laptop Screen Problems itsme Electronics Repair 6 October 7th 04 06:02 AM
Laptop screen comes on briefly and goes off kofi Mpengya Electronics Repair 1 September 20th 04 02:46 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.SEO by vBSEO ©2010, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2004-2014 DIYbanter.
The comments are property of their posters.