Hanging a round mirror from picture rail - Help!

Old August 4th 08, 02:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Hanging a round mirror from picture rail - Help!

Guys,

Need a solution PDQ for this - SWMBO bought a round mirror from Ikea that is
supposed to be mounted on the wall via 4 spring loaded clips - they screw to
the wall and clip round the edge of the mirror.

All good so far - except it is destined for a wall I have just put wall
paper on (oh how I hate that job) and now I've got to drill 4 big holes in
it!

There is a picture rail, so what I want are clever ways to somehow hang the
mirror from the picture rail. The mirror is round, has no frame / backing
etc that I can connect anything on to. What would the group suggest?

** My deadline is 21.00 tonight - no solution - out with the drill! **

Cheers,
M.

Old August 4th 08, 02:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug, 14:41, "Mental" wrote:
Guys,

Need a solution PDQ for this - SWMBO bought a round mirror from Ikea that is
supposed to be mounted on the wall via 4 spring loaded clips - they screw to
the wall and clip round the edge of the mirror.

All good so far - except it is destined for a wall I have just put wall
paper on (oh how I hate that job) and now I've got to drill 4 big holes in
it!

There is a picture rail, so what I want are clever ways to somehow hang the
mirror from the picture rail. The mirror is round, has no frame / backing
etc that I can connect anything on to. What would the group suggest?

** My deadline is 21.00 tonight - no solution - out with the drill! **

Cheers,
M.

Screw the mirror to a circle of plywood, or screw it to 2 battens,
then fix the battens to the wall with a chain and picture rail hook ?
Or fix string to the clips and hang straight off them ?

Some photos of the clips would be useful.

It all depends how good you want the finished result to look.
All in all, drilling holes may be the easiest answer ! Two holes for
the top 2 clips may be enough.

Wedge some fabric or polythene between the mirror and the clips, and
hang from the fabric ?

fix some foam-adhesive pads to the back of the mirror and hang off
them ?

etc ...

Simon.
Old August 4th 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mental" wrote in message
m...
Guys,

Need a solution PDQ for this - SWMBO bought a round mirror from Ikea that
is supposed to be mounted on the wall via 4 spring loaded clips - they
screw to the wall and clip round the edge of the mirror.

All good so far - except it is destined for a wall I have just put wall
paper on (oh how I hate that job) and now I've got to drill 4 big holes in
it!

There is a picture rail, so what I want are clever ways to somehow hang
the mirror from the picture rail. The mirror is round, has no frame /
backing etc that I can connect anything on to. What would the group
suggest?

** My deadline is 21.00 tonight - no solution - out with the drill! **

Cheers,
M.

If the clips are the same as the one in my (newly tiled) bathroom I used
chrome picture hanging wires, bent small hooks which went through the screw
hole in the bottom clips, then threaded the wire through the top clips from
front to back. Fitted the clips round the mirror and, with fine nosed pliers
bent a dog-leg to hold the top clip in place. (It's obvious when you see
them in place) I then hung the mirror on the wires (from a false ceiling
frame).

Option 2 would be fix the mirror to, say, marine plywood, with the clips,
then fix the hanging wires to the backing.

Keith

Old August 4th 08, 03:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 4 Aug, 15:41, "Mental" wrote:
Guys,

Need a solution PDQ for this - SWMBO bought a round mirror from Ikea that is
supposed to be mounted on the wall via 4 spring loaded clips - they screw to
the wall and clip round the edge of the mirror.

All good so far - except it is destined for a wall I have just put wall
paper on (oh how I hate that job) and now I've got to drill 4 big holes in
it!

There is a picture rail, so what I want are clever ways to somehow hang the
mirror from the picture rail. *The mirror is round, has no frame / backing
etc that I can connect anything on to. *What would the group suggest?

** My deadline is 21.00 tonight - no solution - out with the drill! **

Cheers,
M.

It sounds like you need the sort of thing that's used to hang up
decorative plates and which gives experts on the Antiques Roadshow the
screaming abdabs! Assuming you can't get such a beast big enough or
within the deadline, Could you screw the spring clips to a wood or
metal X and suspend that?

Chris

Picture hanging hooks Richard UK diy 26 January 28th 08 11:16 PM
Wardrobe hanging rail Arthur2 UK diy 4 November 26th 07 02:27 PM
Hanging a heavy mirror on a plaster board wall Paul UK diy 17 October 5th 07 08:07 PM
hanging a clothes rail Neil UK diy 6 December 1st 05 12:17 PM
Hanging a heavy mirror Sneezy UK diy 15 January 31st 04 09:02 AM