Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Back Boilers.....adding to systems

Hi all,

We have a solid fuel fire with a door on the front in our cottage which does
not do anything more than throw out lovely heat and roast Chestnuts in the
winter when we fancy lighting it. At the rear is a back boiler not doing
anything at all. Not plumbed in to anything. The unit has a "draught"
adjuster to enable the burn to be regulated quite finely. It all came from a
cottage of a similar size as ours and ran DHW and Heating.

Now, as a good friend is an aboriculturalist and can supply more logs than
you want to shake a stick at, we *could* use the heat generated to
supplement the existing gas combi-boiler heating system.

At the mo' 6 rooms, approx 11ft square by 7ft 6 tall. Expect the bathroom
which is only 8ft square.

Could I actually add supplementary rad's in positions (Such as under the
windows) to improve the heat situation as at the rate fuel prices are rising
I would rather burn free logs and distribute the ash over the garden. ?

Or would it be adaptable to add it into the existing circuit ?

Clean air act etc etc notwithstanding ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 09:07, "RW" wrote:
[...]

You have asked about two options, neither of which I fear are
possible, but no doubt there will be someone along to say I'm wrong.

You have to be aware from the beginning that any hot water feed from a
solid fuel source should be a gravity feed so that in the event of a
power failure, the heat source can continue to dump heat into a
reservoir, be that a tank or radiator in an upper room.

And there you will see the answer really to your two options - you
need a DHW tank (either a normal DHW tank or thermal bank/store) which
you won't have because you got rid of it in favour of a combi. And
then you ask about supplying radiators within the room - that could be
done with a seperate circuit from your CH system as it will have to
have the gravity dump somewhere upstairs.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"robgraham" wrote in message
On 3 Aug, 09:07, "RW" wrote:
[...]

No I didn't. The existing combi set up was here before we moced in.

And
then you ask about supplying radiators within the room - that could be
done with a seperate circuit from your CH system as it will have to
have the gravity dump somewhere upstairs.

The roof is an option for the required tanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
RW wrote:
We have a solid fuel fire with a door on the front in our cottage which
does not do anything more than throw out lovely heat and roast Chestnuts
in the winter when we fancy lighting it. At the rear is a back boiler not
doing anything at all. Not plumbed in to anything....
we *could* use the heat generated to
supplement the existing gas combi-boiler heating system.
Or would it be adaptable to add it into the existing circuit ?

Dunsley Neutraliser
http://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm

Thanks Owain

But according to them "Please Note: The Neutralizer will not work on a
sealed central heating system."

Am I correct in stating that a combi is a sealed system ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 18:09, Owain wrote:
RW wrote:
We have a solid fuel fire with a door on the front in our cottage which does
not do anything more than throw out lovely heat and roast Chestnuts in the
winter when we fancy lighting it. At the rear is a back boiler not doing
anything at all. Not plumbed in to anything....

* *we *could* use the heat generated to

supplement the existing gas combi-boiler heating system.
Or would it be adaptable to add it into the existing circuit ?

Dunsley Neutraliserhttp://www.dunsleyheat.co.uk/linkupsys.htm

Owain

Yes I've got one of those with a normal DHW tank and an oil boiler.
The wood burner has a differential thermostat on it that switches off
the oil burner when the stove is hot.
Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Aug, 17:11, robgraham wrote:

You have to be aware from the beginning that any hot water feed from a
solid fuel source should be a gravity feed so that in the event of a
power failure, the heat source can continue to dump heat into a
reservoir, be that a tank or radiator in an upper room.

It doesn't have to be. There has to be a gravity circuit to act as a
heat dump (small radiator upstairs with the valves always open) but
there's no reason why the main heat circuit (i.e. a coil in a thermal
store) can't be pumped instead. Obviously you lose heating after power
failure, but this is sufficient to cope with the real need: that of
dumping residual heat.

Back boilers now obsolete? Mike Gates UK diy 7 November 29th 05 09:55 PM
Baxi back Boilers Andrew UK diy 2 July 3rd 05 01:44 PM
electric boilers and high pressure domestic water systems [email protected] UK diy 3 December 30th 04 06:01 PM
Back boilers Alec Waters UK diy 1 March 23rd 04 09:09 PM
Back boilers! David UK diy 10 August 18th 03 07:56 PM