Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

Default Which oil to lube paper shredder?

What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

It seems some shredder oils are the consistency of a light machine oil
which is heavier than I would have predicted.

I wonder if some of the newer lubes (graphite sprays, PTFE, etc) would do
a good job? I guess the main requirements are probably

(1) to avoid the oil dripping off the blades soon
(2) to have enough lubricant powert os top wear
(3) to avoid holding paper dust such that over time it becomes congealed.

========================

Advice pages on the internet seem confused:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060830093845AA7venA
(1) mineral oil.......food grade
(2) Mineral oil or sewing machine oil.
(3) We use 5W30 motor oil ours and it has been working fine for a year
and a half.
(4) use mineral oil. if you use any type of pertroleum based oil it will
get on the paper you are shredding, and in turn get into the land fill. i
know you are saying it is such a small amount, but how many shreders are
out there??? imagine if everyone used regular oil in their shreders....
imagine the amount of oil that would go into the land fill, and then into
the water table.
(5) They are all lubricants. Any oil is fine, WD-40 or whatever you have.
(6) A very light weight oil. sewing machine oil should do it.

[AFAIK mineral oil is a petroleoum oil]

================

I have tended to use a silicone spray lubricant or a silicon + PTFE spray
like these. However but they do not seem to provide enough lube to
prevent cuttings staying on the shredder blade (and I am not applying so
much lube thatthe cuttings stick to the blade).
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Silicone_Gre...th_PTFE.search
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Multi_Purpos..._Grease.search

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:23:00 +0100, Alan wrote:

What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

Good idea - it is not a lubricant.

Geo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Geo writes:
On Sun, 03 Aug 2008 12:23:00 +0100, Alan wrote:

What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

Good idea - it is not a lubricant.

and it's really good for washing old lubricants off
(e.g. prior to replacing them).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 3, 7:23*am, Alan wrote:
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40. *

WD40 is not a general purpose lubricant. It is a penetrating oil.
Its designed purpose is to ooze into cracks between pieces of metal
that have been frozen together by rust/pressure/etc. and provide
enough lubrication to allow them to be separated. The secret of WD40
is in the *volatile* components, which give it a low surface energy
(google "angle of repose") so that it spreads out on the metal surface
and displaces absorbed water (which leads to oxidation of the metal -
rust).

You want a lubricant that is non-volatile, even at operating
temperatures. As a GP lubricant my lab used motor oil (SAE 50 or
less) for most applications. In sensitive applications where
microliter amounts were needed, but excess would cause contamination
problems, we applied it with an insulin syringe.

It seems some shredder oils are the consistency of a light machine oil
which is heavier than I would have predicted. *

The heat of normal operation will reduce the viscosity of the oil
somewhat.

I wonder if some of the newer lubes (graphite sprays, PTFE, etc) would do
a good job? *I guess the main requirements are probably

(1) to avoid the oil dripping off the blades soon
(2) to have enough lubricant powert os top wear
(3) to avoid holding paper dust such that over time it becomes congealed.

Dry lubricants can be very useful. We used Dow-Corning's Moly-Kote
(molybdenum disulfide base) for anything requiring high temperature
stability, low vapor pressure, or where servicing down-time is
expensive. Downside is that the aerosol cans are messy to use: if
delicate application was required we sprayed a small amount into a
small container and then painted/daubed the Moly-Kote where needed.

========================

Advice pages on the internet seem confused:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060830093845AA7venA
(1) mineral oil.......food grade
(2) Mineral oil or sewing machine oil.
(3) We use 5W30 motor oil ours and it has been working fine for a year
and a half.
(4) use mineral oil. if you use any type of pertroleum based oil it will
get on the paper you are shredding, and in turn get into the land fill. i
know you are saying it is such a small amount, but how many shreders are
out there??? imagine if everyone used regular oil in their shreders....
imagine the amount of oil that would go into the land fill, and then into
the water table.
(5) They are all lubricants. Any oil is fine, WD-40 or whatever you have.
(6) A very light weight oil. sewing machine oil should do it.

[AFAIK mineral oil is a petroleoum oil]

Correct. Petroleum oil is simply an unspecified mixture of
hydrocarbons with a known boiling range:
As a rough guide:
http://eesc.columbia.edu/courses/u47...fractions.html
http://chemed.chem.purdue.edu/genche...anic/coal.html

I have tended to use a silicone spray lubricant or a silicon + PTFE spray
like these. *However but they do not seem to provide enough lube to
prevent cuttings staying on the shredder blade (and I am not applying so
much lube thatthe cuttings stick to the blade).http://www.maplin.co.uk/Silicone_Gre..._Grease.search

Your problem may be static electricity. The cuttings from a paper
shredder are ideal for the old static electricity experiment of
running a plastic comb through someone's hair and holding it over the
shredded paper.

Look to electrically grounding the moving parts.

Tom Davidson
Richmond, VA

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

tadchem wrote:
On Aug 3, 7:23 am, Alan wrote:
[...]

Or run the shredder in the bathroom. I don't think I'd use mineral
oil; after a while it would become gunk and have to be cleaned.

/BAH

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an
additional special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my
home office?

Here is the real trick,

Buy a sub at your local sub shop and tell them extra olive oil.
(Ham and Cheese and all your fave other toppings.)
but with extra olive oil.

The sub shop usually uses a slightly waxed paper and the oil actually
soaks into it a bit.
Before you shread anything that day, eat the sub and get rid
of all the food and any "massive drippings of the oil".
Then shred the paper sub wrapping, and start
shredding your other stuff.

I never used any other oil ever and usually only got an extra
olive oil sub every third day or so.
The wax and oil will keep those blades like day one for many
shreds.

--
James M Driscoll Jr
Creator of the Clock Malfunction Theory

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 09:37:10 -0400, "Spaceman"
wrote:

Alan wrote:
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an
additional special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my
home office?

Here is the real trick,

Buy a sub at your local sub shop and tell them extra olive oil.
(Ham and Cheese and all your fave other toppings.)
but with extra olive oil.

The sub shop usually uses a slightly waxed paper and the oil actually
soaks into it a bit.
Before you shread anything that day, eat the sub and get rid
of all the food and any "massive drippings of the oil".
Then shred the paper sub wrapping, and start
shredding your other stuff.

I never used any other oil ever and usually only got an extra
olive oil sub every third day or so.
The wax and oil will keep those blades like day one for many
shreds.

But your guts will end up like the black hole of Calcutta. 8-((

Derek

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Alan wrote:
[...]

But olive oil is good for you,
It oils your insides!

But if you don't wish to eat all that, you can always buy
some wax paper and a bottle of olive oil. (not cheap but lasts
a long time if you are only putting a few drops on a piece
of paper every week or so.

I will admit though..
I don't know if it was the wax paper or the olive oil that
did the trick for that shredder.
I think it liked both though.

--
James M Driscoll Jr
Creator of the Clock Malfunction Theory
Spaceman

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

tadchem wrote:
On Aug 3, 7:23 am, Alan wrote:
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an
additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home
office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

WD40 is not a general purpose lubricant.

Why do the makers describe it as "The world's number one multi-purpose
lubricant" then?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
tadchem wrote:
On Aug 3, 7:23 am, Alan wrote:
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an
additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home
office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

WD40 is not a general purpose lubricant.

Why do the makers describe it as "The world's number one multi-purpose
lubricant" then?

not sure but a company I worked for banned its use as it caused more
problems than it fixed, and it became a disciplinary offence if you were
caught using it, and we were then issued with a normal oil can,
I did read on the web under certain conditions it will corrode
metal(which might be a myth)

--
Kevin R
Reply address works

Posted to sci.chem,uk.d-i-y,sci.physics

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 14:34:29 UTC, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

tadchem wrote:
On Aug 3, 7:23 am, Alan wrote:
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an
additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home
office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

WD40 is not a general purpose lubricant.

Why do the makers describe it as "The world's number one multi-purpose
lubricant" then?

Marketing.

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
om...
| tadchem wrote:
| On Aug 3, 7:23 am, Alan wrote:
| What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an
| additional
| special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home
| office?
|
| Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.
|
| WD40 is not a general purpose lubricant.
|
| Why do the makers describe it as "The world's number one multi-purpose
| lubricant" then?

If that were true it would be used on condoms, the number one multi-purpose
buy me and stop one contraceptive.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

(1) to avoid the oil dripping off the blades soon
(2) to have enough lubricant powert os top wear
(3) to avoid holding paper dust such that over time it becomes congealed.

Number 3 is pretty important. The combination of
lubricant and paper dust is very abrasive to
machinery. This was a big problem during the
days of punched cards.

Note the difference between grease and oil.
Generally speaking, places that need grease
should never be oiled and places that need
oil should never be greased. Grease acts
like a solvent for oil.

Rather than trying to re-engineer the lubrication
system, I'd stick as closely to the manufacturer's
design as possible, because there might have been
engineering considerations you're not aware of.
For example, what if the machine catches fire?
A PTFE-based lubricant would emit toxic gases.
A silicone oil might spread into the motor or
switch contact points, causing an open circuit.
If a light machine oil is the closest substitute,
that seems like a safe bet. My mom uses 3-in-1
oil on her sewing machine. I don't know if that
brand is available in the UK, but from your
description of the problem, that seems like
a good fit.
Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:

What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

It seems some shredder oils are the consistency of a light machine oil
which is heavier than I would have predicted.

I wonder if some of the newer lubes (graphite sprays, PTFE, etc) would do
a good job? I guess the main requirements are probably

(1) to avoid the oil dripping off the blades soon
(2) to have enough lubricant powert os top wear
(3) to avoid holding paper dust such that over time it becomes congealed.

1) Clean it out, hit it with a teflon spray lube, Run empty for a
few seconds, let dry. Or,

1a) Take out the cutter, ion plate with titanium nitride,
reinstall. Or,

1c) Take out the cutter, microwave CVD with titanium diboride,
reinstall.

That last will shred scrap iron.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
Posted to sci.chem,uk.d-i-y,sci.physics

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 18:22:16 UTC, Mark Thorson wrote:

Alan wrote:

(1) to avoid the oil dripping off the blades soon
(2) to have enough lubricant powert os top wear
(3) to avoid holding paper dust such that over time it becomes congealed.

Number 3 is pretty important. The combination of
lubricant and paper dust is very abrasive to
machinery. This was a big problem during the
days of punched cards.

I just use the real shredder oil - it's much cheaper than a new
shredder.

I did find that congealed paper dust caused a problem once, after about
3-4 years' use. It caused the paper sensor on the input slot to jam so
that the motor ran all the time. A strip down and clean took just a few
minutes.
http://www.diybanter.com

Posted to sci.chem,uk.d-i-y,sci.physics

On Aug 3, 11:05*am, "Bob Eager" wrote:

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

WD40 is not a general purpose lubricant.

Why do the makers describe it as "The world's number one multi-purpose
lubricant" then?

Marketing.

Absolutely. As someone noted above, WD40 is NOT a "lubricant". It is a
penetrating substance designed to loosen rusted fasteners and the
like. They market it as something you can spray on to "protect" metal
objects, but that is just hype. Truth is that the stories about WD40
rusting metal are NOT myth! IT DOES do that! And anyone using it on
a shredder to "protect" the metal from corrosion needs to be paying
the office fines! WD40 is good stuff for what it does. If you are
taking an old muffler off a car it can't be beat. But beware the
"metal protection" nonsense. It has the OPPOSITE effect!

As for oiling a shredder or any other thing you might be temped to use
WD40 on, I'd recommend good old 10W-30 Motor oil it usually does a
great job both protecting metal from rust and lubricating. Wax is OK,
(from wax paper) but tends to be thick and not get into all the right
places. However it does have an advantage that the wax lubricates
without getting all sticky and having dirt and abrasive paper powder
mix with it. Olive oil, I'd suspect is not the best lubricant. I'd say
if you think motor oil is too heavy then the next choice would be
sewing machine oil.

...or you could just feed the whole sub into the shredder paper and
all...

Posted to sci.chem,sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:06:56 -0700 (PDT), Benj wrote:

WD40 is good stuff for what it does. If you are taking an old muffler
off a car it can't be beat.

Plusgas is a much better penetrating, nut/bolt freeing product. Remember
what the the WD stands for "water displacer", it's good at that but for
lubrication or nut freeing there are much better products about.

...or you could just feed the whole sub into the shredder paper and
all...

Thats probably the best thing to do, save you having to eat the ghastly
thing.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to sci.chem,sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 3 Aug 2008 12:06:56 -0700 (PDT), Benj wrote:

WD40 is good stuff for what it does. If you are taking an old muffler
off a car it can't be beat.

Plusgas is a much better penetrating, nut/bolt freeing product.
Remember what the the WD stands for "water displacer", it's good at
that but for lubrication or nut freeing there are much better
products about.

The best stuff around for penetrating used to be Zep 45 but I think it was
renamed
to Zep Twister.
They also have a soy based stuff but I never used it.
They really know chemicals.
www.zep.com

--
James M Driscoll Jr
Creator of the Clock Malfunction Theory
Spaceman

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

In message , Alan
writes
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office?

3 in 1.

I've got a Fellowes cross cut under the desk in front of me. It is the
only one I've ever bothered to lube and it seems to have surpassed the 2
other (never lubed) ones before it.

Certainly hasn't broken it anyway.

Hth

Someone
Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

In article , enter_value wrote:
What substitute oil can I use to save me the cost of buying an additional
special oil for my Fellowes cross-cut shredder used in my home office?

Shredder manufacturers say to avoid WD40.

WD40 will appear to work well for a minute or two, until the cutters get hot
and cause a fireball. I speak from stupid experience, and my eyebrows,
mustache, and hair add their support.

Buy the sheets from an office supply place. They're cheap and neat.

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 3, 7:23*am, Alan wrote:
[...]

Am I the only person in this thread that sees a problem with combining
paper dust, random types of oil, friction and sparks from shredded
staples, all in one spot?
Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Aug 3, 7:23 am, Alan wrote:
[...]

I used to lubricate our office shredder. Since retiring 4 years ago no-one
has bothered - it is still working. (in a busy HR Dept)

Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

" wrote:
[snip]

Am I the only person in this thread that sees a problem with combining
paper dust, random types of oil, friction and sparks from shredded
staples, all in one spot?

If it needs any lube at all a Teflon dry lube spray is good enough.
One could dampen a sheet of paper with Mobil 1 and run that through
the shredder. Adding wet lube to a dusty environment is overall
unclever.

--
Uncle Al
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/
http://www.mazepath.com/uncleal/lajos.htm#a2
Posted to sci.physics,sci.chem,uk.d-i-y

replying to Spaceman, Norm wrote:
I watched a vid that changed a sheet of printer paper into tracing paper by
using baby oil. I don't know what baby oil is made of, but could you then run
that baby oil infused tracing paper through the shredder to lubricate it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-498155-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/19/2017 9:14 PM, Norm wrote:
replying to Spaceman, Norm wrote:
I watched a vid that changed a sheet of printer paper into tracing paper by
using baby oil. I don't know what baby oil is made of, but could you
then run
that baby oil infused tracing paper through the shredder to lubricate it?

bb oil is mineral oil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 02:14:03 GMT, Norm wrote:

replying to Spaceman, Norm wrote:
I watched a vid that changed a sheet of printer paper into tracing paper by
using baby oil. I don't know what baby oil is made of, but could you then run
that baby oil infused tracing paper through the shredder to lubricate it?

I'm using Johnson's Baby Oil on trimmers and clippers.
For the x-cut shredder, I put some in the bottom of a lightweight C4
envelope and ran that through - it does make a difference, at least in the
sound - but doesn't last very long of course.
Seems to me it's difficult to keep any lube on a shredder as the paper
cleans it off.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would have thought it most likely to gum it all up. the bits that need
lubricating asare usually the gears and motor drive, as small bits of paper
dust can get into theworks. First though if you can get at the mechanism,
clean it then use sewing machine oil type stuff. It has to be non sticky or
it will just gum up with the paper dust.
To be honest most of the shredders I've had have died due to the motor
burning out or the gears, often naff plastic ones losing teeth.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Norm" m wrote in message
replying to Spaceman, Norm wrote:
I watched a vid that changed a sheet of printer paper into tracing paper
by
using baby oil. I don't know what baby oil is made of, but could you then
run
that baby oil infused tracing paper through the shredder to lubricate it?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-498155-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3/20/2017 2:14 AM, Norm wrote:
replying to Spaceman, Norm wrote:
I watched a vid that changed a sheet of printer paper into tracing paper by
using baby oil. I don't know what baby oil is made of, but could you
then run
that baby oil infused tracing paper through the shredder to lubricate it?

I spray the width of a piece of paper with a WD-40 type "maintenance
spray" and feed that through from time to time. Mine can get compacted
paper jammed around the spindle at either end of the rotating part,
especially if you accidentally feed paper through at an angle so that it
"folds", but it hasn't jammed since I have been more careful. When it
does jam, it has to be partly dismantled to pry the stuff out with a
sharp pointy object. I don't find that using oil leads to buildup of
debris on the cutters elsewhere, and it certainly makes it sound faster
and smoother to lubricate it every so often (perhaps every few hundred
sheets).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The cutting blades need lubrication. I get actual shredder oil; I only
use it infrequently; so much so that the last bottle suffered from
plastic decay before it was empty.

I suggest that motor burout or stripped gears could be put down to the
lack of lubrication...

I did clean out a gummed ups shredder once. They are mostly self
cleaning, but if paper goes right to the edge, it can get into the works.

On Mon, 20 Mar 2017 09:19:02 +0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

I would have thought it most likely to gum it all up. the bits that need
lubricating asare usually the gears and motor drive, as small bits of
paper dust can get into theworks. First though if you can get at the
mechanism, clean it then use sewing machine oil type stuff. It has to be
non sticky or it will just gum up with the paper dust.
To be honest most of the shredders I've had have died due to the motor
burning out or the gears, often naff plastic ones losing teeth.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Me Me is offline

On 3/20/2017 2:14 AM, Norm wrote:
replying to Spaceman, Norm wrote:
I watched a vid that changed a sheet of printer paper into tracing paper by
using baby oil. I don't know what baby oil is made of, but could you
then run
that baby oil infused tracing paper through the shredder to lubricate it?

You can buy treated paper for lubricating a shredder, the last one I
bought came with a sample pack.

Posted to sci.chem,uk.d-i-y,sci.physics

replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments? BS, no, I don't want to copy this
thread, just saying

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...er-498155-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/17 10:44, Gaby wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments?

Dunno. I suggest you ask google's, facebook's, twitter's lawyers....

BS, no, I don't want to copy this
thread, just saying

Dribbling in from howmeowners hub again.

Sight.

that site needs pwning by hackers

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 10:44, Gaby wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments?

Since you did not quote any of the original message, I have no idea what
you talking about.

However at a guess, I would suggest you read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet_quoting

In case you are not aware, you *are* posting to usenet, not a web forum.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 10:44, Gaby wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments? BS, no, I don't want to copy this
thread, just saying

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

The date of the post you're replying to (2008) might also suggest you're
new to this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 15:01, Fredxxx wrote:
On 28/05/2017 10:44, Gaby wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments? BS, no, I don't want to copy
this
thread, just saying

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a
website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

The date of the post you're replying to (2008) might also suggest you're
new to this.

Its interesting that HOH posters almost never reply to threads after
they have commented - I expect they only get notified of new posts when
they are made though the web site, and hence never see the responses
from elsewhere.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 10:44, Gaby wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments? BS, no, I don't want to copy
this
thread, just saying

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a
website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

The date of the post you're replying to (2008) might also suggest you're
new to this.

Its interesting that HOH posters almost never reply to threads after
they have commented - I expect they only get notified of new posts when
they are made though the web site, and hence never see the responses
from elsewhere.

Prezactly why I am as blatantly and obscenely rude as possible.

One might expect SOME reaction. There has never been any.
Once concludes there is no pint in responding to them except to make a
potty mess of their pretty little site.

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 10:44, Gaby wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments? BS, no, I don't want to copy
this
thread, just saying

This might assist you with posting to a newsgroup, albeit through a
website:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1855

- If you are sending a reply to a message or a posting be sure you
summarize the original at the top of the message, or include just
enough text of the original to give a context.

The date of the post you're replying to (2008) might also suggest you're
new to this.

Its interesting that HOH posters almost never reply to threads after
they have commented - I expect they only get notified of new posts when
they are made though the web site, and hence never see the responses
from elsewhere.

Are you suggesting Homeowners Hub is spamming the newsgroups?

I'm sure they would never stoop to this level!

How many genuine posts do we get from this website? Any increase on '0'?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 10:44, Gaby wrote:
[...]

Occasionally people do.

NT

Once concludes there is no pint in responding to them except to make a
potty mess of their pretty little site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/05/2017 10:44, Gaby wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments? BS, no, I don't want to copy this
thread, just saying

I've never heard of lubricating shredders. How do you do it? Would it
work with my Woolies shredder, which is getting rather tired?

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
On 28/05/2017 10:44, Gaby wrote:
replying to Bob Eager, Gaby wrote:
How can you own someone else's comments? BS, no, I don't want to copy this
thread, just saying

I've never heard of lubricating shredders. How do you do it? Would it
work with my Woolies shredder, which is getting rather tired?

I have bottle of Fellowes "performance oil" which I probably bought on
Amazon. It does seem to help after shredding a large batch.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England