Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Holts Piston Seal

Anyone had any experience using Holts Piston Seal? I phoned Holts
to ask - among other things - if it's safe to use on cars with lambda
sensors and catalytic converters. I couldn't get much sense out
of them.

Thanks

Martin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
Anyone had any experience using Holts Piston Seal? I phoned Holts
to ask - among other things - if it's safe to use on cars with lambda
sensors and catalytic converters. I couldn't get much sense out
of them.

Surely they don't still sell that rubbish?

Bores and pistons these days usually outlast the car. Unless you hole a
piston through a major fault - and piston seal won't do much for that.

Thanks

Martin

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article
,
wrote:
Anyone had any experience using Holts Piston Seal? I phoned Holts
to ask - among other things - if it's safe to use on cars with lambda
sensors and catalytic converters. I couldn't get much sense out
of them.

Surely they don't still sell that rubbish?

Bores and pistons these days usually outlast the car. Unless you hole a
piston through a major fault - and piston seal won't do much for that.

Thanks

Martin

--
*I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

You know Dave, I once used some on an old Escort Estate that I had. The
compression was so low that it struggled to start at all. After putting in
the piston seal, it was like a new engine, and it lasted for a very long
time until I got rid of the motor. Whether it's still any use with today's
engines though, I wouldn't like to say.

Ask over on

uk.rec.cars.maintenance

There's some good ol' boys on that group who are very knowledgable.

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Arfa Daily wrote:
You know Dave, I once used some on an old Escort Estate that I had. The
compression was so low that it struggled to start at all. After putting
in the piston seal, it was like a new engine, and it lasted for a very
long time until I got rid of the motor.

I know of plenty who used it in the old days and reported some improvment
on a clapped engine - but never 'like a new engine'. But then those who
used such things didn't normally have much experience of new engines
anyway. ;-)

Whether it's still any use with
today's engines though, I wouldn't like to say.

I also know of plenty who tried it and it didn't work.

Lack of compression can be down to many different things. Used to be often
plain ol' wear and tear on bores or rings - but this is rare these days
due to far better manufacture and oils. And if some gunge applied to the
top of the piston worked so well you'd wonder why they still bother with
rings...

Ask over on

uk.rec.cars.maintenance

There's some good ol' boys on that group who are very knowledgable.

I reckon they'll say the same.

--
*I was once a millionaire but my mom gave away my baseball cards

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Lack of compression can be down to many different things. Used to be
often plain ol' wear and tear on bores or rings -

And quite often due to burnt out valves - which piston seal wouldn't fix!

ISTR that the trick was to use a compression tester to measure the
compression pressure, and then see if it was improved by squirting oil in
through the plug hole. If it was, it was the pistons/rings which were
leaking - and piston seal might help. If it wasn't, the fault was
elsewhere - probably valves.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Arfa Daily wrote:
[...]

In them good old days, we wouldn't have trusted this either. But then there
were dozens of little, nut, bolt, ring, piston, bearing, chain, belt etc.
suppliers, crank grinders, head skimmers, even make you your own pistoners,
all over the place; where wise old men in brown 'lab coats' could tell you
the part number of any bit of any engine, size and thread of any nut or
bolt, circlip, o-ring, at a glance, and then go straight to a drawer for a
replacement. Then there were the sand blasters, polishers, platers...

For the price of a bottle of piston seal, a few over sized rings would have
been bought and the ends carefully ground to give the right clearance. Now
of course, only full sets for the entire engine are available, at a price
probably not much less than a new car: and the plated bore will be beyond
redemption anyway.
So it's off to the breaker's yard for replacements. Heck, they've gone too.
All speculative housing now.

Mind you: the engineering is now so much more reliable in the first place
that we can get away with it for phenomenal mileages. Just a shame to have
thrown the baby out with the bathwater somewhat when repairs are eventually
needed.

Now where did I put my adjustable reamer...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:

Mind you: the engineering is now so much more reliable in the first place
that we can get away with it for phenomenal mileages. Just a shame to have
thrown the baby out with the bathwater somewhat when repairs are eventually
needed.

Now where did I put my adjustable reamer...

scrappies still exist. A friend re-engined an old car from a scrappie
engine where his daughter had foolishly run it with no water in it..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Spamlet wrote:

Mind you: the engineering is now so much more reliable in the first
place that we can get away with it for phenomenal mileages. Just a
shame to have thrown the baby out with the bathwater somewhat when
repairs are eventually needed.

Now where did I put my adjustable reamer...

scrappies still exist. A friend re-engined an old car from a scrappie
engine where his daughter had foolishly run it with no water in it..

They do - but are nothing like as numerous as once. EU regs on fluids etc
leaking into the soil made it an expensive business to get a licence.

There used to be several quite close to here - all gone.

--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Spamlet wrote:

Mind you: the engineering is now so much more reliable in the first place
that we can get away with it for phenomenal mileages. Just a shame to
have thrown the baby out with the bathwater somewhat when repairs are
eventually needed.

Now where did I put my adjustable reamer...

scrappies still exist. A friend re-engined an old car from a scrappie
engine where his daughter had foolishly run it with no water in it..

Which reminds me: I never did get around to experimenting with oils instead
of water, for the cooling. So many many engines have been thrown away just
because the oily bit and the watery bit don't get on when a gasket or o-ring
gives up...

What's your Piston Count? Vortex UK diy 44 January 19th 07 12:31 AM
To (re)seal or not to (re)seal granite counter tops? blueman Home Repair 11 July 31st 06 04:44 PM
Lawnboy piston help fish Home Repair 34 December 5th 05 11:47 AM
Piston Hinge?? Rob V Woodworking 5 October 20th 05 01:06 PM
Fitting piston rings Christopher Tidy Metalworking 25 May 4th 05 05:03 AM