Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fan ventilation - in or out?

I'm planning on installing a fan to create an active
through-draft through the house. Should it be mounted
to pull air into the house or pull air out of the house?

Ta.

--
JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jul 28, 3:12 pm, jgharston wrote:
I'm planning on installing a fan to create an active
through-draft through the house. Should it be mounted
to pull air into the house or pull air out of the house?

Ta.

--
JGH

Pull air out. If you pull air in it will be a concentrated patch of
cold air. If you pull air out it will be replaced through loads of
tiny drafts, and the coldness will be distributed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

jgharston wrote:
I'm planning on installing a fan to create an active
through-draft through the house. Should it be mounted
to pull air into the house or pull air out of the house?

Ta.

My brain immediately says 'neither' - or maybe 'both'.

If you have positive pressure that will tend to help keep dust levels
lower by pushing air out.

If you have negative pressure that will tend to draw air, and hence
dust, in.

In either case, if the pressure difference is significant, you might
find opening/closing doors and windows becomes, umm, interesting.

My brain says, have two fans, one pushing in and one sucking out -
balancing each other. If anything, a slight positive pressure.

My brain is probably broken by trying to cope with 30C. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, jgharston wrote:
I'm planning on installing a fan to create an active
through-draft through the house. Should it be mounted
to pull air into the house or pull air out of the house?

pedant
However you mount it, it will do both. Air will either flow in through
the fan and out through open doors, windows, and other apertures, or the
other way round.
/pedant

I think the main issue would be the outside air coming in - you'd
probably prefer not to have that concentrated near the fan. So "out"
would be the best choice.

--
Mike Barnes
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Barnes writes:
In uk.d-i-y, jgharston wrote:
I'm planning on installing a fan to create an active
through-draft through the house. Should it be mounted
to pull air into the house or pull air out of the house?

pedant
However you mount it, it will do both. Air will either flow in through
the fan and out through open doors, windows, and other apertures, or the
other way round.
/pedant

I think the main issue would be the outside air coming in - you'd
probably prefer not to have that concentrated near the fan. So "out"
would be the best choice.

Probably want to exhaust the air on the upstairs side facing
the sun, and the coolest air to draw in is likely to be on
a downstairs side away from the sun or north facing.

In the summer, I replace my loft hatch with one which has a
10" vent-axia extractor fan, which serves both to extract
the hot air from upstairs, and to help cool the extremely
hot air in the attic.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
Mike Barnes writes:
In uk.d-i-y, jgharston wrote:
[...]

Let me check I have got this correct.

You have a 10" fan in the loft hatch to blow air (from the landing I
presume) into the loft. This sounds OK for my house. Did you need to make
any extra vents in the loft?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes writes:
In uk.d-i-y, jgharston wrote:
[...]

No - it's got vents around the soffits. It would probably
work much better with a vent at the apex, but there isn't
one and that would be hard to implemnt.

The original aim was to keep the loft cooler, and it probably
manages to knock some degrees off. It was 36C up there
today at 2pm -- it would probably have been something well
over 40C without it.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
I'm planning on installing a fan to create an active
through-draft through the house. Should it be mounted
to pull air into the house or pull air out of the house?

Maybe it depends on the location. An extractor fan in the hall might draw
smells out of the kitchen and loo, and damp air from the bathroom,

--
Michael Chare

Posted to uk.d-i-y

jgharston wrote:
I'm planning on installing a fan to create an active
through-draft through the house. Should it be mounted
to pull air into the house or pull air out of the house?

Definitely ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
Probably want to exhaust the air on the upstairs side facing
the sun, and the coolest air to draw in is likely to be on
a downstairs side away from the sun or north facing.

That was what I was thinking of.

In the summer, I replace my loft hatch with one which has a
10" vent-axia extractor fan, which serves both to extract
the hot air from upstairs, and to help cool the extremely
hot air in the attic.

Hmm. There's an idea. My cellar is always noticable cool,
even in the heights of summer. I could do something to
draw that cold air into the rest of the house - passive
air conditioning

--
JGH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29 Jul, 19:28, Owain wrote:
jgharston wrote:
Hmm. There's an idea. My cellar is always noticable cool,
even in the heights of summer. I could do something to
draw that cold air into the rest of the house - passive
air conditioning

Or you could just take a deckchair and portable telly down there ...

Good idea. Our cat has taken up residence in the cellar in protest at
the hot weather. Just be grateful that you haven't evolved with a
black fur coat instead of sweat glands.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28 Jul, 16:12, jgharston wrote:
I'm planning on installing a fan to create an active
through-draft through the house. Should it be mounted
to pull air into the house or pull air out of the house?

Get a reversible one so that when you're there alone you can sit in
the cool breeze, but when the house is full of people (or smoke from
the cooking) you can spread the sucking around.

Chris
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
On 2008-07-28, Andrew Gabriel andrew@a17 wrote:

The original aim was to keep the loft cooler,

Why?

I have some electronics up there relating to home automation.
Also, after a few weeks of hot weather, the cold water tank
becomes a warm water tank, even though it's lagged.
Also, even though well insulated, it seems to generate heat
radiated from the upstairs ceilings.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Ventilation [email protected] UK diy 0 August 3rd 07 08:44 PM
ventilation Tim Lamb UK diy 2 December 2nd 06 09:47 PM
Understairs loo ventilation vinrouge UK diy 2 July 17th 06 11:45 AM
Ventilation VK UK diy 1 August 2nd 05 09:24 PM
Ventilation N. Thornton UK diy 8 January 1st 04 10:52 AM