Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default 3 way valve horror

35 year old 3 way valve had stripped its gearteeth, so the head was replaced with an identical one. Or so I thought. The new one won't work though, it stays on HW only all the time. Taking the head off reveals that the socket that engages onto the valve shaft sits at a different angle, so that at one end of the head's travel, the valve is at the other end of its travel. Hence any control of the valve is impossible, it sits at one end only. Any ideas before I copy Simon?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 January 2017 13:09:46 UTC, tabby wrote:

35 year old 3 way valve had stripped its gearteeth, so the head was replaced with an identical one. Or so I thought. The new one won't work though, it stays on HW only all the time. Taking the head off reveals that the socket that engages onto the valve shaft sits at a different angle, so that at one end of the head's travel, the valve is at the other end of its travel. Hence any control of the valve is impossible, it sits at one end only. Any ideas before I copy Simon?

NT

Looks like I was wrong, the fitted valve moves a lot less angle than the replacement base that didn't get fitted. So probably full of crud & a draindown required.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 29 January 2017 15:26:30 UTC, Bob Minchin wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

35 year old 3 way valve had stripped its gearteeth, so the head was replaced with an identical one. Or so I thought. The new one won't work though, it stays on HW only all the time. Taking the head off reveals that the socket that engages onto the valve shaft sits at a different angle, so that at one end of the head's travel, the valve is at the other end of its travel.. Hence any control of the valve is impossible, it sits at one end only. Any ideas before I copy Simon?

NT

When I had one that failed (2way) it was the motor pinion that had
dental decay and so a new motor sorted it out. It only has about 8 teeth
and so much more subject to wear

If your gear wear is elsewhere then you might have to bite the bullet
and fit a new valve. Sometimes there are new valve bodies on ebay to go
with your replacement head to save buying a whole new valve.

That's what was done. And I explained why it hasn't worked.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:

[...]

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you might have changed the whole
head and integral gearbox. The individual motors within the heads are
also available as spares on ebay for £10-12 IIRC and should work as I
explained. You then can retain the old gear head with its particular
spigot arrangement.

But this is perhaps less useful when, as in this case, the problem is
stripped gear teeth rather than motor failure.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/01/2017 18:16, Roger Hayter wrote:
Bob wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you might have changed the whole
head and integral gearbox. The individual motors within the heads are
also available as spares on ebay for £10-12 IIRC and should work as I
explained. You then can retain the old gear head with its particular
spigot arrangement.

But this is perhaps less useful when, as in this case, the problem is
stripped gear teeth rather than motor failure.

It depends on which teeth have stripped. There is a small gear on the
output of the motor assembly. If the teeth on that have stripped, a new
motor will replace them.

This small gear drives a larger (partial) gear connected to the valve.
If *its* teeth have stripped, a new motor won't fix it.
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob wrote:

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think you might have changed the whole
head and integral gearbox.

yes

The individual motors within the heads are
also available as spares on ebay for £10-12 IIRC and should work as I
explained. You then can retain the old gear head with its particular
spigot arrangement.

But this is perhaps less useful when, as in this case, the problem is
stripped gear teeth rather than motor failure.

It depends on which teeth have stripped. There is a small gear on the
output of the motor assembly. If the teeth on that have stripped, a new
motor will replace them.

This small gear drives a larger (partial) gear connected to the valve.
If *its* teeth have stripped, a new motor won't fix it.

The problem has nothing to do with gear teeth or motor. The movement of the valve itself has become very restricted. So drain down & clean out seems the only option. If it turns out there is a persisting compatibility problem, hopefully I can fit the new base, which I still have, to match the new head. I hate plumbing.

NT