Rawlplug just turning, how can I get a grip?

Old July 14th 08, 11:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rawlplug just turning, how can I get a grip?

I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went on to a
brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill knowing
the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws just turn
when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm beginning to
think I never went into the brick but into the gaps between the bricks!

I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into the wall
which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated. Also I can't move
the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be it.

Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

Cheers

Steven.

Old July 14th 08, 11:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC

"Steven Campbell" wrote in message
I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went on to a
brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill knowing
the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws just
turn
when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm beginning
to think I never went into the brick but into the gaps between the bricks!

I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into the
wall which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated. Also I
can't move the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be it.

Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

Cheers

Steven.

There is not a gap between the bricks, the mortar which joins the bricks
together should be strong enough for rawlplugs

Are you sure that the wall that you drilled was brick? that is did you see
brick dust coming out of the hole?

Although the outer leaf of the wall is brick the inner could be lots of
things e.g breezeblock (ok) or thermalite (very soft), the plaster could be
direct to the wall or dot and dab (therefore a gap between the plaster and
the blockwork behind

You may need to investigate a bit more

Tony

Old July 14th 08, 11:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jul 2008 23:03:22 +0100, Steven Campbell wrote:

I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into the
wall which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated.

Remove any shelf/brackets, put a screw into the end of the plug a turn or
two then use a claw hammer or nail pliers to pull it out. Thin bit of
scrap wood will protect the decoration agaist the levering. If the plugs
are really loose you may be able to pull 'em out by hand using the screw.

You should have been able to tell if the holes hit joints/thick plaster or
bricks by how easy or not they were to drill and/or by changes in the dust
colour. Possible solutions small hammer in frame fixings or plug (or part)
within a plug.

Were the fixings the ones supplied with the shelves or your own? I
normally bin anything supplied as they never account for 10 to 15mm of
plaster so are too short and the screws tend to be made of toffee.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old July 14th 08, 11:29 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Steven Campbell wrote:
I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went
on to a brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill
knowing the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws
just turn when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm
beginning to think I never went into the brick but into the gaps
between the bricks!
I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into
the wall which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated.
Also I can't move the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be
it.
Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

Cheers

Steven.

I'd fill the holes with Gripfill, personally, and hope the shelves were
never coming down again.

Si

Old July 14th 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went on to a
brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill knowing
the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws just turn
when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm beginning to
think I never went into the brick but into the gaps between the bricks!

I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into the wall
which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated. Also I can't move
the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be it.

Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

Cheers

Steven.

Take it down and put the screws into each plug until they bite and
pull the plug out. Fill the hole with a matchstick or even cardboard
and refit the plug.

Just pack the hole a bit more.
Old July 14th 08, 11:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Steven
Campbell wrote
I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went on to a
brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill knowing
the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws just turn
when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm beginning to
think I never went into the brick but into the gaps between the bricks!

I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into the wall
which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated. Also I can't move
the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be it.

Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

To get it out just screw in the screw (without the shelf). Once the
screw thread just catches on the sides of the plug pull the screw out
with a pair of pliers. The plug should come out with it.

To stop the plug turning put a match stick down the outside of the plug
(after cutting off the match head)

--
Alan
news2006 {at} amac {dot} f2s {dot} com
Old July 15th 08, 12:01 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
In message , Steven
Campbell wrote
[...]

Or use Fischer Wet N Fix
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/77888...Fix-Pack-of-50

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old July 15th 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
cj

Another thing you could try is fitting a larger size plug (once you remove
the old plug)
As already posted the screw trick normally works but you can always run the
drill in again to remove the plug.
You posted using a 6mm bit.
Normally a 5.5mm is used for Red plugs and a 7mm for Brown but if the plugs
came with the shelf they could be any size .
Try your local DIY store for plugs of different sizes.

HTH
CJ

Old July 15th 08, 12:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:

Were the fixings the ones supplied with the shelves or your own? I
normally bin anything supplied as they never account for 10 to 15mm of
plaster so are too short and the screws tend to be made of toffee.

Oh aint that the truth. Fisrt thing I usually do is bin the crap screws &
fixings that come with anything.

Shock horror! Installed a Habitat curtain pole today - it had real Fischer
fixings & proper pozidrive head decent screws!!!!!!!

I was stunned!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old July 15th 08, 08:24 AM posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod

Steven Campbell wrote:
I put up one of those floating shelves which took 5 screws. It went on to a
brick / plaster external wall.
The rawlplugs said to use 7mm for the hole but I used a 6mm drill knowing
the drill would probably wander slightly.
3 of the Rawlplugs don't seem to be catching at all and the screws just turn
when they should be getting tight.
I tried upping the screws to size 12 but its just the same. I'm beginning to
think I never went into the brick but into the gaps between the bricks!

I'm not sure if I could get the rawlplugs out without digging into the wall
which I'm reluctant to do as its just been all decorated. Also I can't move
the shelf as its the only wall / height it can be it.

Any ideas on best way to get the screws to take?

Cheers

If you have some polyurethane glue I would think of this (which I have
done quite a few times):

Spray the hole with a bit of water.

Coat the plug with some polyurethane glue.

Push plug in and leave for at least half an hour.

Once set, fix shelf. Full strength might take up to a few hours.

It hasn't happened to me, but you should keep an eye open in case the
glue foams too much and starts to drizzle down the wall.

(This is based on another Fischer system - Fix & Fill IIRC.)

For your specific variant of the problem, you might be able to inject
the polyurethane into the hole, i.e. into the centre of the plug. As it
expands it will probably ooze out and hold the plug fast. But even if it
doesn't, as you put a screw in it will be pushed outwards and help to
fill the hole.

--
Rod

onset.