Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Default Araldite

I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole that
is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the crack before
it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for this due to the
low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look on thre packet as that has
long gone and the tubes are a bit too squashed to read. Does anybody have a
packet that they could look at and let me know.

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole that
is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the crack before
it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for this due to the
low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look on thre packet as that has
long gone and the tubes are a bit too squashed to read. Does anybody have a
packet that they could look at and let me know.

Cheers

When, many years ago, I tried Araldite for a fridge, it worked. But the
interior of the fridge smelled of Araldite for a *long* time afterwards.
Not my best idea.

You can get some Araldite information online. Maybe try the (new) owners
of the company that makes it?

http://www.silmid.com/araldite/adhesives.htm

But you might do better by searching for 'araldite instructions' -
plenty of versions around.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for this due to the low temperature of
the freezer.

I have used Araldite successfully at liquid nitrogen temperatures - you'll
be OK.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole that
is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the crack before
it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for this due to the
low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look on thre packet as that has
long gone and the tubes are a bit too squashed to read. Does anybody have a
packet that they could look at and let me know.

Probably OK, but most fridge plastics are olefins and don't adhere well
to anything much.

If its styrene, (brittle) you could use a straight solvent/styrene mix
(polystyrene cement as used for e.g. airfix) and clear styrene can be
pirated from scarp fridges etc to make up a plate to sit behind the crak.

Te first thing is to establish if its a soleuble plastic: take some
ellulose thinners or acetoe (nail varnish remmover) and test..if it goes
cludy, its suitable fr a solvernt cement.

I have repaired model aircraft colws of styreme with a mixture of
micropore tape and cyanoacrylate as well, and that's an option. Ugly,
but effective. I of coure used plastic model putty as filler and sprayed
the repair..

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In uk.d-i-y, John wrote:
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer.

If nothing has broken off and you simply want to stop the crack
spreading, you might drill a small hole at the "inland" end of the
crack, and stick duct tape behind all of the crack. That worked for me,
until I could get round to doing the job properly, which I've never
needed to.

--
Mike Barnes

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rod writes:
When, many years ago, I tried Araldite for a fridge, it worked. But the
interior of the fridge smelled of Araldite for a *long* time afterwards.
Not my best idea.

I once decided to store some resin in the freezer, thinking it
would keep longer. It might have, but it wrecked everything else
in the freezer, in spite of being in an apprently sealed tin.
The resin tainted all the stored food, easily passing through
all the sealed plastic wrappings.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle
hole that is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind
the crack before it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be
OK for this due to the low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look
on thre packet as that has long gone and the tubes are a bit too
squashed to read. Does anybody have a packet that they could look at
and let me know.
Cheers

John

I've patched up ours with hot-melt glue. It's not too brittle at freezer
temperature and is completely odourless.

--
Varroa

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

I've successfully fixed broken handles on fridge shelves using clear
silicone sealent. It adheres to just about anything, is very strong, very
flexible and dooesn't go brittle in the cold.

Cheers,

Nigel

"John" wrote in message
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole
that is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the crack
before it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for this due
to the low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look on thre packet as
that has long gone and the tubes are a bit too squashed to read. Does
anybody have a packet that they could look at and let me know.

Cheers

John

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"Nigel Heather the-heathers.co.uk" nigel@NO_SPAM wrote in message
I've successfully fixed broken handles on fridge shelves using clear
silicone sealent. It adheres to just about anything, is very strong, very
flexible and dooesn't go brittle in the cold.

Cheers,

Nigel

Silicone sealent works on hot things equally as well. I used it to fix the
mounting brackets back onto the inner glass of an oven door. Lasted for
the rest of the life of the cooker which was several years. It was
recommended to me by a nephew-in-law who has a degree in adhesives.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John wrote:
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole
that is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the
crack before it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for
this due to the low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look on thre
packet as that has long gone and the tubes are a bit too squashed to
read. Does anybody have a packet that they could look at and let me
know.

I don't think that sort of temperature will matter - but epoxy isn't that
good on the sort of plastics this is likely to be made of.

--
*The severity of the itch is proportional to the reach *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
DM DM is offline

John wrote:
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole that
is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the crack before
it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for this due to the
low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look on thre packet as that has
long gone and the tubes are a bit too squashed to read. Does anybody have a
packet that they could look at and let me know.

Cheers

John

As it happens I was just thumbing through one of the many pieces of junk
that gets sent to me and one had an advert for the new improved etc. etc.
"Evo Stick Serious Glue" claiming good performance down to -30 degree C

No affilitation or idea as to its real perfomance, but it claims super glue
adhesion, but stronger, more flexible temperature resistant bond, to quote
the blurb.

cheers
David

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
DM wrote:
As it happens I was just thumbing through one of the many pieces of junk
that gets sent to me and one had an advert for the new improved etc.
etc. "Evo Stick Serious Glue" claiming good performance down to -30
degree C

No affilitation or idea as to its real perfomance, but it claims super
glue adhesion, but stronger, more flexible temperature resistant bond,
to quote the blurb.

I've used it quite a bit on the sort of plastics nothing else seems to
work on and find it very good. Not sure about being as strong as
superglue, though, where that is suitable. One thing to note is it needs
clamping for 24 hours to reach full strength. A very worthwhile addition
to the toolbox.

--
*A 'jiffy' is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Following up to Dave Plowman (News)

"Evo Stick Serious Glue" claiming good performance down to -30
degree C

No affilitation or idea as to its real perfomance, but it claims super
glue adhesion, but stronger, more flexible temperature resistant bond,
to quote the blurb.

I've used it quite a bit on the sort of plastics nothing else seems to
work on and find it very good.

ive just used it for the first time, nice double nozzle, nice sticky
quality without "stringing". Claims to be water tolerant and waterproof.
--
Mike:::::::::
remove clothing to email
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike..... wrote:
I've used it quite a bit on the sort of plastics nothing else seems to
work on and find it very good.

ive just used it for the first time, nice double nozzle, nice sticky
quality without "stringing". Claims to be water tolerant and waterproof.

Yes. The door rubbing strips on my old car had chrome bits - chrome on
plastic - which had 'gone'. I obtained some chrome on plastic half round
strip and glued it on with Serious Glue. Still there some years later.

--
*For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

Following up to Dave Plowman (News)

Yes. The door rubbing strips on my old car had chrome bits - chrome on
plastic - which had 'gone'. I obtained some chrome on plastic half round
strip and glued it on with Serious Glue. Still there some years later.

not so different from my alloy strips along top edge of kitchen base unit
door to stop water seepage into door (hopefully) from sloppy washing up
--
Mike:::::::::
remove clothing to email

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole
that is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the crack
before it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for this due
to the low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look on thre packet as
that has long gone and the tubes are a bit too squashed to read. Does
anybody have a packet that they could look at and let me know.

Cheers

John

I used Araldite to mend a broken drawer in my fridge and it works fine. I
think the repair is actually stronger than the plastic. Only trouble is,
it's not very "cosmetic" if that bothers you - sort of a grungy brown colour

Give it a try.

Barb

Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I need to repair a cracked drawer in my freezer. It is the handle hole
that is cracked and I was thinking about glueing a plate behind the crack
before it gets any worse. Would Araldite type adhesive be OK for this due
to the low temperature of the freezer. I cannot look on thre packet as
that has long gone and the tubes are a bit too squashed to read. Does
anybody have a packet that they could look at and let me know.

Cheers

John

Did not work for my drawer lid which is white plastic. Is your drawer clear
plastic?

Beemer

Is Araldite ok for metal? Alex Coleman UK diy 30 April 5th 07 08:41 PM
Expensive Araldite? Lobster UK diy 11 August 16th 06 06:51 AM
Araldite & Plastic - bonding time? Doki UK diy 4 April 16th 06 04:36 AM
araldite comparisons [email protected] UK diy 29 March 25th 06 04:29 PM
Best way to remove sticky Araldite from hands? Michael Slattery Home Repair 3 March 1st 05 01:24 AM