Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sink Waste

Hi,

No installing the bathroom sink, although I have the following dilemma
which I'm sure is common and so must have a really simple answer,
which I am struggling to find.

The plug hole waste from my sink is 1 1/4" (32mm) however the waste
pipes installed are around 40mm. When I have looked to buy a bottle
trap they are all 38mm so wont fit my sink waste although the waste
pipe end of the trap will fit the 40mm pipe I have. I then bought a
pedestal trap as it is a pedestal sink which is 32mm, so fits the sink
but then the waste pipe end is 32mm aswell and so is too small to
connect up to my pipework.

I have bought a reducer which has allowed me to put a section of 32mm
pipe coming out of the pedestal trap into the reducer which then fits
to the 40mm pipe. However, this appears to be leaking.

Is there a simpler way of doing this or traps that have say 1
1/4" (32mm) to fit the sink with 40mm fitting at the pipe end?

Where woudl you recomend buying these pasrts from? I bought my
pedestal trap from toolstation but it wasn't the best and took me ages
to get it to screw on tightly to the sink as it didnt appear to have
enough thread.

Thanks

Tom
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Thomarse" wrote in message
[...]

You can buy all the stuff from B&Q. They are pretty cheap, even there.

Basins are 32mm, baths 40mm

You either have to run the basin separately in 32mm to the soil stack
(preferred in the sense it stops gurgling) or run it into the 40mm bath
waste. This will always require a reducer or an unequal T

The reducer should not leak, any more than any other push fit (or
compression fitting)

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 00:42:39 -0700, Thomarse wrote:

[...]

There is considerable confusion over the sizing of waste pipes.

Basin/bidet stuff is "32" mm that about the diameter of the threaded
outlet of the waste, the pipes are 35mm (pushfit, BS 5454) and 37mm
(solvent weld).

Sink/bath/shower stuff is "40"mm the waste outlet is about 38mm,
the pushfit pipe about 40mm and the solvent weld pipe (BS 5455) about
42mm OD.

To go from one sort of waste pipe there are a various sorts of adaptor.

Sink Waste Pipe T AJ UK diy 12 May 21st 08 01:54 PM
2.5in waste for sink [email protected] UK diy 7 July 10th 07 08:46 AM
sink waste connect to bath waste? Vass UK diy 5 November 18th 05 06:40 PM
sink waste vandelay UK diy 9 August 18th 03 06:35 PM
Sink waste through wall Richard UK diy 4 August 4th 03 03:04 PM