Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Fencing & Decking for mountain goats

Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the sides of
mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel boards, 8
bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back up each time!

Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote:

Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the sides of
mountains.

It beats building them in the flood plain, every time. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman coughed up some electrons that declared:

Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the sides of
mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel boards, 8
bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back up each time!

Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

Bloody hell. Though it was bad when I looked at a house in Pembury last year
and the garden was on a 45 degrees upward slope. It was tiered in the style
of an open cast mine pit. Yes, I have been in an open cast mine.

But your's takes the prize.

BTW - decking going to be on 5m stilts?

Cheers

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the sides of
mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel boards, 8
bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back up each time!

Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

Might be hard work, but far worse is trying to dig holes in
clay/stones/rubble that passes for much of our garden. :-)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the sides of
mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel boards, 8
bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back up each time!

Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

You should have taken a leaf out of the Egyptians books ie make a make shift
tray out of wood and attach a rope to it.
Makes light work of carrying it all down....two post in tray,slide down
steps ya get ma drift.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the
sides of mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel
boards, 8 bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back
up each time!
Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

Never satisfied! Think of the money - especially if you are charging an
hourly rate for the job rather than a quoted price!

On this occasion, you get paid for walking back up empty handed - every
cloud has a silver lining eh?

I couldn't resist the urge Dave. LOL

Tanner-'op

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the
sides of mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel
boards, 8 bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back
up each time! Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the
stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

Might be hard work, but far worse is trying to dig holes in
clay/stones/rubble that passes for much of our garden. :-)

Ever tried the Kent speciality - clay, chalk. flint?

The hole for the post where 'Desmond' is standing took an hour to dig out,
that included the use of a 6kg SDS/breaker.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tanner-'op wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house.
Strange habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the
sides of mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel
boards, 8 bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back
up each time!
Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

Never satisfied! Think of the money - especially if you are charging
an hourly rate for the job rather than a quoted price!

Fixed price job - but with a huge deposit.

On this occasion, you get paid for walking back up empty handed -
every cloud has a silver lining eh?

Didn't have enough bloody energy to walk back up carrying anything.

I couldn't resist the urge Dave. LOL

I rarely can resist the urge....

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the sides of
mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

That's quite a duct on the side of the house. Boiler flue?

The hole for the post where 'Desmond' is standing took an hour to dig out,
that included the use of a 6kg SDS/breaker.

I had a house built on an old market garden. Got 12" down in a
post hole and found a cobbled yard. My neighbour uncovered a
flight of steps ;-)

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:

Might be hard work, but far worse is trying to dig holes in
clay/stones/rubble that passes for much of our garden. :-)

Ever tried the Kent speciality - clay, chalk. flint?

The hole for the post where 'Desmond' is standing took an hour to dig out,
that included the use of a 6kg SDS/breaker.

Actually, we also have chalk/flint - below and in places mixed into the
clay. :-) But I am not really trying to start an "our holes are more
difficult than your holes" thread! (Someone in Aberdeen will relate
putting a post into granite and win easily.)

And, last couple I did, I cheated. Both were abutted to existing
concrete - so I did not make them full depth.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Might be hard work, but far worse is trying to dig holes in
clay/stones/rubble that passes for much of our garden. :-)

Ever tried the Kent speciality - clay, chalk. flint?

The hole for the post where 'Desmond' is standing took an hour to
dig out, that included the use of a 6kg SDS/breaker.

Actually, we also have chalk/flint - below and in places mixed into
the clay. :-) But I am not really trying to start an "our holes are
more difficult than your holes" thread! (Someone in Aberdeen will
relate putting a post into granite and win easily.)

Truce!

And, last couple I did, I cheated. Both were abutted to existing
concrete - so I did not make them full depth.

How about trimming the post height? Ok with timber posts, bugger with
concrete?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house.
Strange habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the
sides of mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

That's quite a duct on the side of the house. Boiler flue?

That was my guess, I'll have a closer look. One hell of a flue.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
How about trimming the post height? Ok with timber posts, bugger with
concrete?

I just bit the tops off. We are tough here, we are!

(Timber - so I just sawed them off.)

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-07 08:54:33 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house.
Strange habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the
sides of mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

That's quite a duct on the side of the house. Boiler flue?

That was my guess, I'll have a closer look. One hell of a flue.

Looked like a fast food place to me....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-07 08:54:33 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house.
Strange habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the
sides of mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

That's quite a duct on the side of the house. Boiler flue?

That was my guess, I'll have a closer look. One hell of a flue.

Looked like a fast food place to me....

The lady of the house did make us some excellent sarnies for lunch & lots of
tea...

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2008-06-07 09:02:31 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"

On 2008-06-07 08:54:33 +0100, "The Medway Handyman"
said:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:

Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house.
Strange habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the
sides of mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

That's quite a duct on the side of the house. Boiler flue?

That was my guess, I'll have a closer look. One hell of a flue.

Looked like a fast food place to me....

The lady of the house did make us some excellent sarnies for lunch & lots of
tea...

She knows how to buy you then ;-)

I suppose that you would need all that fuel for the trips up and down
the steps.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house. Strange
habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the sides of
mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel boards, 8
bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back up each time!

Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

You should have taken a leaf out of the Egyptians books

Slavery and whips?

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARWadworth" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

[...]

:-) possible.

A box with wooden tobogan type runners so it'll slide down the steps with
the concrete post in the box.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadworth wrote in

"George" wrote in message

snip
You should have taken a leaf out of the Egyptians books

Slavery and whips?

You're getting them mixed up with Max Mosley.

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"The Medway Handyman"
Spent the last two days erecting a fence in the garden of house.
Strange habit we have in the Medway Towns of building houses on the
sides of mountains.

http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l2...os/33%20steps/

We had to carry 7 eight foot concrete posts, 10 concrete gravel
boards, 8 bags of postfix & tools down these stairs, then walk back
up each time!

Could have been worse I suppose - carrying them up the stairs!

Next week we carry decking & joists down.

My legs are all wobberly.

You should have taken a leaf out of the Egyptians books ie make a
make shift tray out of wood and attach a rope to it.
Makes light work of carrying it all down....two post in tray,slide
down steps ya get ma drift.

Actually that is a very good idea matey. Clever buggers them Eggwhipshuns.
Water levels, the 3,4,5 square - they used all sorts of neat ideas.

Next week we have to shift 6 metre deck boards & joists - I'm going to knock
up a temporary slide.

Cheers!

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Goats Tom Watson Woodworking 1 April 22nd 08 01:09 AM
Google Spider Goats [A public information film for all Americans] Custard Cream Home Repair 3 July 7th 07 05:16 PM
Decking oil or Decking stain+presertive Mike P UK diy 12 July 4th 07 01:59 PM
Bubble jet mountain Stuart Noble UK diy 71 February 15th 06 11:34 PM