Andy Jenkins

Default Urgent : Water leaking from heating pump 'electrical box'

Hi all,

Got a urgentish problem - probably best that I contact a plumber -
just need some confirmation first ..

Our 1 year old pump (replaced by British Gas - who wont come out FOC -
despite the pumping being fitted 1 year and 3 days ago) - is leaking
water from the electrical box on the side of the pump. This seems to
be in addition to the fact that the heating is not working (related?)

Whilst cleaning up some of the water this morning - the pump went
'bang' - water still leaks - still no heating.

The water is leaking at the rate of about 1 normal size teacup within
20 minutes. A serious amount !

Why ? Would a washer or something have come out from the pump itself
? Presumably the 'bang' was the cylinder thing inside the 'black box'
which looking at an old pump seems to be reason what out old pump went
a year ago (at least - theres a hold at the bottom of the cylinder
thing anyway).

Any thoughts ? (off to empty the cup again now - at least I'll get
some exercise today).

--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
Andy Dingley

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 10:17:06 +0100, Andy Jenkins
wrote:

Whilst cleaning up some of the water this morning - the pump went
'bang' - water still leaks - still no heating.

Your pump is 'uggered.

However replacing it is a perfectly reasonable DIY job. Go grab a
book on DIY emergency plumbing, because it has better pictures than
ASCII.

BillR

Andy Jenkins wrote:
Hi all,

Got a urgentish problem - probably best that I contact a plumber -
just need some confirmation first ..

Our 1 year old pump (replaced by British Gas - who wont come out FOC -
despite the pumping being fitted 1 year and 3 days ago) - is leaking
water from the electrical box on the side of the pump. This seems to
be in addition to the fact that the heating is not working (related?)

Whilst cleaning up some of the water this morning - the pump went
'bang' - water still leaks - still no heating.

The water is leaking at the rate of about 1 normal size teacup within
20 minutes. A serious amount !

Why ? Would a washer or something have come out from the pump itself
? Presumably the 'bang' was the cylinder thing inside the 'black box'
which looking at an old pump seems to be reason what out old pump went
a year ago (at least - theres a hole at the bottom of the cylinder
thing anyway).

Any thoughts ? (off to empty the cup again now - at least I'll get
some exercise today).

Yes there is a sealing washer on the ones I've seen. I've never known one to
fail..
The pump vendors specify allowable orientations maybe yours does not follow
these?

You should be able to isolate the pump with the valves either side of it.
They are a doddle to replace if you have a big enough spanner.
The cylinder thing is a large capacitor without it the pump won't work.

Tim Jenkins

"Andy Jenkins" wrote in message
Hi all,

Our 1 year old pump (replaced by British Gas - who wont come out FOC -
despite the pumping being fitted 1 year and 3 days ago) - is leaking
water from the electrical box on the side of the pump. This seems to
be in addition to the fact that the heating is not working (related?)

Andy,

What type of pump is it ? Is is a Blue one made by "Circulating Pumps" in
Peterborough by any chance ?

Cheers,
Tim.

Andy Jenkins

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 12:47:47 +0100, "Tim Jenkins"
wrote:

"Andy Jenkins" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

Our 1 year old pump (replaced by British Gas - who wont come out FOC -
despite the pumping being fitted 1 year and 3 days ago) - is leaking
water from the electrical box on the side of the pump. This seems to
be in addition to the fact that the heating is not working (related?)

Andy,

What type of pump is it ? Is is a Blue one made by "Circulating Pumps" in
Peterborough by any chance ?

Cheers,
Tim.

Yes - its blue - it has British Gas and Scottish Gas written on it.
It has a 'made by Myson Pumps" with a PE postcode.

Does it make any difference ?

--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net

Tim Jenkins

wrote:

"Andy Jenkins" wrote in message
.. .
Hi all,

Yes - its blue - it has British Gas and Scottish Gas written on it.
It has a 'made by Myson Pumps" with a PE postcode.

Does it make any difference ?

Andy,

No, I was just curious. We have the same pump and I'd heard on the grapevine
about someone else having problems with this make/model too, so just
wondered if this design was fundamentally flawed ?

Hope you get your problem fixed though.

Cheers,
tim.

Sparks

Our 1 year old pump (replaced by British Gas - who wont come out FOC -
despite the pumping being fitted 1 year and 3 days ago) - is leaking
water from the electrical box on the side of the pump. This seems to
be in addition to the fact that the heating is not working (related?)

Just because it is over a year old, does not mean you are not entitles to a
replacement, or a repair.

Under the sale of goods act, things have to be
"fit for the purpose"
"of a satisfactory quality"
and "last for a reasonable amount of time"

You are not expected to replace a CH pump every year, so your pump has not
lasted for a reasonable time

I suggest you make a call to your local trading standards to see if you have
cause for complaint (I would think you do!)

you can find your local trading standards number here (along with other
information!)

www.tradingstandards.gov.uk

Sparks...

S Viemeister

BillR wrote:

You should be able to isolate the pump with the valves either side of it.
They are a doddle to replace if you have a big enough spanner.

Hah. Not if it was installed by the idiot who did mine. No isolation
valves.
Andy Jenkins

On Tue, 07 Oct 2003 09:22:56 -0400, S Viemeister
wrote:

BillR wrote:

You should be able to isolate the pump with the valves either side of it.
They are a doddle to replace if you have a big enough spanner.

Hah. Not if it was installed by the idiot who did mine. No isolation
valves.

Yeah - same here .. no valves either side.

My problem is resovled now having had the confirmation that
replacement of the pump isnt a major thing for a DIY newbie to do.

Had to drain the system first though - and then realised I had drained
the ciruit for the tap (.

Then I drained the CH circuit. Stuck a host on the end of one of the
rads downstairs that has some kinda draining plug on it - didnt help
mind - as no blinking water came out that way - it came out of the
bolty thing that I had to uncrew (

One drained - had to then goto Homebase to pick up a water pump
spanner - not bad £2.49 - did the trick wonderfully.

Then off with teh BG Pump - off to my local plumbers place - who sold
me a replacement - worrying the same make as what I have now .. a
Myson - but has Circulating Pumps or somthing wriitten on it - as per
the quote from Tim Jenkins elsewhere on this thread.

Anyway - fitted the new one .. plugged the leccy back on - let the
expansion tank fill up, turned on the ch and hot water .. and bingo -
water flowing all through.

Well - bar three of the four rads downstairs anyway .. but thats
probably an air problem I guess .. will have to suss that out next.

Thanks to those to took the time to respond .. good group this - I
always lurk - then remove the group from me news reader - then
resubscribe when I have a problem.

I think I'll be staying (and lurking) for quite a bit longer this
time.

Cheers again

--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
S Viemeister

wrote:

Hah. Not if it was installed by the idiot who did mine. No isolation
valves.

Yeah - same here .. no valves either side.

Do you install valves before you replaced the pump?
We didn't - should have, but time was of the essence, the space was very
cramped, there would have been too much cutting and refitting.....I know
we'll regret it, eventually, but at least the heat is working now.

Sheila

Andy Jenkins

wrote:

Hah. Not if it was installed by the idiot who did mine. No isolation
valves.

Yeah - same here .. no valves either side.

Do you install valves before you replaced the pump?

I had exactly the same thought - but like yourself time was of the
essance too (I'm supposed to be working would'nt ya know .. boss is
NOT going to be happy !! ( )

Besides - looking at the pipes - I'm not sure I could get the valves
in - the piping is too twist pretty much all the way until it gets to
a t-junction.
--
Andy Jenkins
UK Broadband Usergroup : http://www.uk-bug.net
The Natural Philosopher

wrote:

"Andy Jenkins" wrote in message

Hi all,

Yes - its blue - it has British Gas and Scottish Gas written on it.
It has a 'made by Myson Pumps" with a PE postcode.

Does it make any difference ?

Andy,

No, I was just curious. We have the same pump and I'd heard on the grapevine
about someone else having problems with this make/model too, so just
wondered if this design was fundamentally flawed ?

Hope you get your problem fixed though.

Cheers,
tim.

Friend of mine had two pumps in two years go in new house.

Got fed up, called independent plumber, who drained and flushed the
system, getting out lots of little solder bits, installed a GRUNFOSS and
never looked back..