Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

Default Calling owners of 1/2" routers: extent of plunge?

Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to make
full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as profiling
bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond the baseplate
even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new router. Could any
owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625, possibly the Erbauer
one - very kindly check whether the collet extends beyond the baseplate at
full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken off) and if so by how far,
and post the results? Specs on the net give plunge depth but that is not the
same thing. Would be much appreciated - thank you.

Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I haven't got my DW625/CMT to hand, but IIRC the plunge is about the
same as yours. The answer is either to only partially insert the bit
into the collet (within reason and lighter cuts only) or to use a
collet extender (Axminster does them).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message
Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to make
full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as

profiling
bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond the baseplate
even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new router. Could any
owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625, possibly the Erbauer
one - very kindly check whether the collet extends beyond the baseplate at
full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken off) and if so by how

far,
and post the results? Specs on the net give plunge depth but that is not

the
same thing. Would be much appreciated - thank you.

Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.

The collet is not supposed to extend past the base plate.
Maybe the cutters shaft is too far into the collet?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

The collet is not supposed to extend past the base plate.
Maybe the cutters shaft is too far into the collet?

Much obliged George and dom. I hadn't realised extenders exist. I thought
about not inserting the cutter fully but wasn't too happy about how much
grip would remain.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message

The collet is not supposed to extend past the base plate.
Maybe the cutters shaft is too far into the collet?

Much obliged George and dom. I hadn't realised extenders exist. I thought
about not inserting the cutter fully but wasn't too happy about how much
grip would remain.

Whats the lenght of the shaft ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rrh wrote:
Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to make
full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as profiling
bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond the baseplate
even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new router. Could any
owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625, possibly the Erbauer
one - very kindly check whether the collet extends beyond the baseplate at
full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken off) and if so by how far,
and post the results? Specs on the net give plunge depth but that is not the
same thing. Would be much appreciated - thank you.

Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.

I can measure for you later, but from memory the Freud FT200E (or
whatever the current version of it is called) plunges a reasonable
distance through the base plate. Same is probably true of the Trend T9,
and it certainly is of the T5 (although that is only 1/4" or 8mm).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message

"George" wrote in message

"rrh" wrote in message

The collet is not supposed to extend past the base plate.
Maybe the cutters shaft is too far into the collet?

Much obliged George and dom. I hadn't realised extenders exist. I

thought
about not inserting the cutter fully but wasn't too happy about how

much
grip would remain.

Whats the lenght of the shaft ?

25mm.

There's the problem then,my 1/2" cutters are a minimium of 1" shaft.
25mm is not much when at least 1/2" has to be put into the collet.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

I can measure for you later, but from memory the Freud FT200E (or
whatever the current version of it is called) plunges a reasonable
distance through the base plate. Same is probably true of the Trend T9,
and it certainly is of the T5 (although that is only 1/4" or 8mm).

Ta v much but it looks as though a collet extension will do me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

Whats the lenght of the shaft ?

25mm.

There's the problem then,my 1/2" cutters are a minimium of 1" shaft.
25mm is not much when at least 1/2" has to be put into the collet.

Well, 1" = 25.4 mm so about the same. But I'll get an extension for my shaft
smutty grin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message
news
Whats the lenght of the shaft ?

25mm.

There's the problem then,my 1/2" cutters are a minimium of 1" shaft.
25mm is not much when at least 1/2" has to be put into the collet.

Well, 1" = 25.4 mm so about the same. But I'll get an extension for my

shaft
smutty grin.

Thats its minimium at a guess as I cannot be bothred to go look the shaft is
1.1/4"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message
Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to make
full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as
profiling bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond the
baseplate even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new router.
Could any owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625, possibly
the Erbauer one - very kindly check whether the collet extends beyond the
baseplate at full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken off) and if
so by how far, and post the results? Specs on the net give plunge depth
but that is not the same thing. Would be much appreciated - thank you.

Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.

I had a similar problem until I noticed part of the Perspex cover was
fouling.
It was needed when it was in a table so a couple of screws removed it and
the plunge was longer.
It was part of the dust extraction system and not really up to the job when
upside down anyway.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"rrh" wrote in message

I can measure for you later, but from memory the Freud FT200E (or
whatever the current version of it is called) plunges a reasonable
distance through the base plate. Same is probably true of the Trend T9,
and it certainly is of the T5 (although that is only 1/4" or 8mm).

Ta v much but it looks as though a collet extension will do me.

I've just had a thought....was the depth stop at its max?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"George" wrote in message

"rrh" wrote in message

I can measure for you later, but from memory the Freud FT200E (or
whatever the current version of it is called) plunges a reasonable
distance through the base plate. Same is probably true of the Trend T9,
and it certainly is of the T5 (although that is only 1/4" or 8mm).

Ta v much but it looks as though a collet extension will do me.

I've just had a thought....was the depth stop at its max?

It was, and the router body wasn't fouling on anything else either
(dennis@home).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 May, 11:59, "rrh" wrote:
Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to make
full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as profiling
bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond the baseplate
even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new router. Could any
owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625, possibly the Erbauer
one - very kindly check whether the collet extends beyond the baseplate at
full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken off) and if so by how far,
and post the results? Specs on the net give plunge depth but that is not the
same thing. Would be much appreciated - thank you.

Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.

My DW625: plunges exactly flush (as near as I can tell) with

- the dust extractor cowling removed,
- the standard sole plate covering removed and
- one of the depth stop pillars removed

Michael.

(who's delighted to be finally able to answer a question, when I've
gained so much from the group!)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rrh wrote:
I can measure for you later, but from memory the Freud FT200E (or
whatever the current version of it is called) plunges a reasonable
distance through the base plate. Same is probably true of the Trend T9,
and it certainly is of the T5 (although that is only 1/4" or 8mm).

Ta v much but it looks as though a collet extension will do me.

I measured - the plunge through is about 15mm

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"John Rumm" wrote in message
rrh wrote:
I can measure for you later, but from memory the Freud FT200E (or
whatever the current version of it is called) plunges a reasonable
distance through the base plate. Same is probably true of the Trend T9,
and it certainly is of the T5 (although that is only 1/4" or 8mm).

Ta v much but it looks as though a collet extension will do me.

I measured - the plunge through is about 15mm

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks John. Subsequent googling - dunno why I couldn't find it the first
time - reveals that the Freud one is indeed particularly good for use in a
table.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 May 2008 10:59:08 +0000, rrh wrote:

Have found that my cheap Chinese router will not plunge far enough to
make full use in my new Makita router table of shorter cutters such as
profiling bits. The end of the collet only projects a fraction beyond
the baseplate even at full plunge. Fair enough: an excuse to buy a new
router. Could any owners of decent ones - eg Makita 3612, DeWalt DW625,
possibly the Erbauer one - very kindly check whether the collet extends
beyond the baseplate at full plunge (with any removable sole plate taken
off) and if so by how far, and post the results? Specs on the net give
plunge depth but that is not the same thing. Would be much appreciated -
thank you.

Looks as though 10mm or so would be ideal.

I bought an Erbauer ERBRT-3 from "The Routerman" on EBay. Seems pretty
good, although the blow-moulded case had a smashed corner. No biggie.

With the soleplate and dust collector shroud on, it plunges to dead
level. With the shroud off you get just under a 1/4" more, with the
shroud and soleplate off you get just over 3/8" protruding.

Hope that helps.

BTW it seems like a nice router, but I haven't really needed the grunt
yet so it's only done a few test cuts. I bought it to go in a router
table but the base was too big for the router table I had (the cheap but
surprisingly solid ALDI one) so I got the Powercraft router from ALDI as
well.

This is all following my philosophy of buying something cheap but
adequate first then replacing it *only if* I use it enough to wear it out
- or can tell it has significant limitations. Or I feel spendy ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
rrh rrh is offline

"PCPaul" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Ta. I got the Axminster collet extension today and it does well but is quite
long, such that I had to put the sole plate back on the router to stop the
collet protruding too far beyond the table surface once the router is
clamped to the table. Not used in anger yet though; a new router may still
be needed ( = desired)!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

rrh wrote:
I can measure for you later, but from memory the Freud FT200E (or
whatever the current version of it is called) plunges a reasonable
distance through the base plate. Same is probably true of the Trend T9,
and it certainly is of the T5 (although that is only 1/4" or 8mm).

Ta v much but it looks as though a collet extension will do me.

I measured - the plunge through is about 15mm

--
Cheers,

John.

Thanks John. Subsequent googling - dunno why I couldn't find it the first
time - reveals that the Freud one is indeed particularly good for use in a
table.

Yup, its got plenty of power, a big built in height adjuster that is
easy to reach under a table, and the plunge through...

Triton do another good table router:

http://www.tritontools.co.uk/trb001-...571dd7d267f 4

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 May 2008 19:41:44 +0000, rrh wrote:

Ta. I got the Axminster collet extension today and it does well but is
quite long, such that I had to put the sole plate back on the router to
stop the collet protruding too far beyond the table surface once the
router is clamped to the table.

I don't know, never happy are you ;-)

Not used in anger yet though; a new router may still be needed
( = desired)!

"No job's worth doing unless it needs a new tool"

Question for HF 7" Jointer Owners Only Vince Heuring Woodworking 4 March 27th 06 04:58 AM
Owners of the Rikon 18" Bandsaw Leon Woodworking 13 November 7th 05 10:38 PM
Cheap 1/2" routers Hands On UK diy 1 February 8th 05 05:39 PM
PLUNGE ROUTERS todd Woodworking 1 March 17th 04 03:18 PM