Connecting Ikea Billy bookcases

Old May 30th 08, 11:17 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Connecting Ikea Billy bookcases

Hi guys, I've just bought a number of Ikea bookcases to make into a
storage unit (something similar to this : http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S39847644).
They didn't have a combination that matched my exact requirements so I
bought separate units.

I have the corner connectors and they're fine, but there doesn't seem
to be any easy way of connecting two adjacent units together. I
assumed there must be some kind of bracket similar to the corner
connectors but for connecting two units side by side, but I can't find
anything like this on their website.

I am thinking of using the same connectors that you use for connecting
two kitchen cabinets together, but obviously the bolt heads will be
visible and it means drilling the bookcases anyway so spoiling them if
I ever wanted to re-arrange them.

I'm sure somebody out there has already built something similar, so
please let me know what you did.

Thanks
Old May 30th 08, 01:03 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in

Hi guys, I've just bought a number of Ikea bookcases to make into a
storage unit (something similar to this :
http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/S39847644). They didn't
have a combination that matched my exact requirements so I
bought separate units.

snip

I am thinking of using the same connectors that you use for connecting
two kitchen cabinets together, but obviously the bolt heads will be
visible and it means drilling the bookcases anyway so spoiling them if
I ever wanted to re-arrange them.

I'm sure somebody out there has already built something similar, so
please let me know what you did.

I've got a 20' run of them and used the cabinet connectors that you
mentioned. It's a fair while since I put them in - I rather assumed, looking
back, that the connectors were in with the fittings but perhaps I too
sourced some cabinet connectors - can't honestly remember.

As for the look of them, unless the design's changed, there are lots of
holes anyway, for the shelf adjusters - each column has 64 holes on each
side so I didn't think that another half dozen would make much difference. I
think that the chrome bolt heads are probably more attractive than the open
holes where there are no shelf supporting pins.

Come to think of it - perhaps I didn't finish the job off properly, maybe I
should have put a little blanking stopper in each hole. But that would have
been around a thousand holes to stop...

--
PeterMcC
inappropriate or offensive in any way,

Old May 30th 08, 09:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
cj

HI
got the CD units 6 connected together you can use a kitchen cabinet fixing
bolt to connect them just drill through 2 adjacent shelf support holes and
fit the bolt through.
The bolt is not like a conventional nut and bolt but a 2 part assembly which
screw together as 1 half is a thin tube threaded internally and the other a
screw which screws into it.
Try your local DIY store or kitchen shop .
Most DIY kitchens have these couplings in the plastic bits bag.

HTH

CJ

Old May 30th 08, 10:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 May, 11:17, wrote:
[...]

Another vote for cabinet connectors... I also used the shelf support
holes as a guide. I think I had to widen them from 5 to 6mm or
similar.

I have three (400 - 800 - 400) joined like this including height
extension units. Made a huge difference to how they looked, as well as
their stability.

M.
M.
Old June 2nd 08, 01:54 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 30, 11:17*am, wrote:
[...]

I'm sure that when I bought mine several years ago, they came with a
couple of wide u-shaped metal rods that fitted in holes in the top of
the side panels. I didnt use them because there was too much play
when they were connected this way. I used a couple of metal strips
(like mecano) and screwed them on the tops, far enough back so that
you couldnt see them. This does mean that you wont be able to use top
extensions though.

Alan

Problems attaching Ikea Billy Nickelby doors to Billy bookcase Moo Home Ownership 1 May 18th 07 05:34 PM
Billy Cmelak Master Personas Hoodini Woodworking 1 February 22nd 07 09:10 PM
Paging Billy K JWho Metalworking 0 November 8th 05 05:22 PM
Ikea Bellen Faucet - Connecting to US plumbing Speedy Jim Home Ownership 2 May 14th 04 06:49 AM
Wood called Billy Webb ed_h Woodworking 1 September 19th 03 06:01 PM