Enoesque

Default Thermostatic or electric shower from combi

I'm about to install a new shower. I've got an 80k btu Sime combi
boiler.

Can anyone recommend whether it's best to install a thermostatic
shower connected to the combi boiler, or an electric shower?

Has anyone got direct comparisons - e.g. is a thermostatic shower from
an 80k btu combi definitely more powerful than even a 10kw shower?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

eno
IMM

"Enoesque" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to install a new shower. I've got an 80k btu Sime combi
boiler.

Can anyone recommend whether it's best to install a thermostatic
shower connected to the combi boiler, or an electric shower?

Don't fit an electric shower - Satan uses them

Has anyone got direct comparisons - e.g. is a thermostatic shower from
an 80k btu combi definitely more powerful than even a 10kw shower?

A combi fed shower is far superior than an electric piece of Satanic junk.

---

Enoesque

LOL! I like yer sense of humour IMM, but was looking for something a
bit more explanatory. What about the power of one fed from an 80k btu
combi V. a 10kw electric shower?

"IMM" wrote in message ...
"Enoesque" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to install a new shower. I've got an 80k btu Sime combi
boiler.

Can anyone recommend whether it's best to install a thermostatic
shower connected to the combi boiler, or an electric shower?

Don't fit an electric shower - Satan uses them

Has anyone got direct comparisons - e.g. is a thermostatic shower from
an 80k btu combi definitely more powerful than even a 10kw shower?

A combi fed shower is far superior than an electric piece of Satanic junk.

---

Christian McArdle

Has anyone got direct comparisons - e.g. is a thermostatic shower from
an 80k btu combi definitely more powerful than even a 10kw shower?

80K BTU is around 24kW. In terms of shower performance, this will be a
change from approximately 4 litres per minute to 10 litres per minute.

Christian.

Eno Case

Thanks for that info Christian.

Just to be clear, you compared the ( 80k btu = ) 24kw from the combi to 10kw
from the electric and did the ratio to get 10lpm versus 4 lpm?

If that's the performance difference then I think there's no question which
I should use. It's in a one bedroom flat, just me and my girlfriend, so
even the supposed downsides of running the shower from the combi won't
bother me with that performance.

The shower I'm about to replace is only an 8kw, so presumably I'll see even
more benefit from using a thermostatic.

Thanks again Christian.

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
t...
Has anyone got direct comparisons - e.g. is a thermostatic shower from
an 80k btu combi definitely more powerful than even a 10kw shower?

80K BTU is around 24kW. In terms of shower performance, this will be a
change from approximately 4 litres per minute to 10 litres per minute.

Christian.

IMM

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for that info Christian.

Just to be clear, you compared the ( 80k btu = ) 24kw from the combi to

10kw
from the electric and did the ratio to get 10lpm versus 4 lpm?

If that's the performance difference then I think there's no question

which
I should use. It's in a one bedroom flat, just me and my girlfriend, so
even the supposed downsides of running the shower from the combi won't
bother me with that performance.

I don't see any downside whatsoever from running a shower from a combi.
people buy them for their power shower type of performance. A good normal
power shower pump costs £200-250. You can pick up a combi for under £400,
that does the heating and gets rid of tanks, liberating all that space, as
well.

---

Eno Case

IMM

I don't see any downside whatsoever from running a shower from a combi.

Maybe I misunderstand how they work, but I'd been led to believe that if the
shower is supplied from the combi, then for the time that the shower is in
use, the radiators won't get supplied with water therefore cooling the
rooms down? (And some showers take longer than others... ;-) )

Also, if the shower is in use, and someone does use a hot tap, the shower
would be affected somehow, even if it is a good thermostatic one?

If these points are wrong, I'll gladly stand corrected, and be even more
keen to get a thermostatic shower!

I suppose there's also the issue of not having a backup hot water supply
(like an electric shower could give me) if the combi boiler breaks down, but
that's not a big worry to me.

Thanks for your comments IMM.

Eno

"IMM" wrote in message

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for that info Christian.

Just to be clear, you compared the ( 80k btu = ) 24kw from the combi to

10kw
from the electric and did the ratio to get 10lpm versus 4 lpm?

If that's the performance difference then I think there's no question

which
I should use. It's in a one bedroom flat, just me and my girlfriend, so
even the supposed downsides of running the shower from the combi won't
bother me with that performance.

I don't see any downside whatsoever from running a shower from a combi.
people buy them for their power shower type of performance. A good normal
power shower pump costs £200-250. You can pick up a combi for under £400,
that does the heating and gets rid of tanks, liberating all that space, as
well.

---

IMM

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
IMM

I don't see any downside whatsoever from running a shower from a combi.

Maybe I misunderstand how they work, but I'd been led to believe that if

the
shower is supplied from the combi, then for the time that the shower is in
use, the radiators won't get supplied with water therefore cooling the
rooms down? (And some showers take longer than others... ;-) )

That is true. But if a house is up to temp that will not be a problem.
Also there are overpowered fro CH and when they come back onto CH they warm
like the wind.

It will have to be a very long shower to effect the heating temps.

Also, if the shower is in use, and someone does use a hot tap, the shower
would be affected somehow, even if it is a good thermostatic one?

You install a pressure equalizing valve. Some shower mixers have them
built-in, see the Screwfix catalogue. Turning on the kitchen tap, unless it
is a bottom of the flowrate range combi, will not effect the shower too much
at all. Best get a combi that delivers 13 litres/min minimum. Some combi's
right up to 22 litres/min.

If these points are wrong, I'll gladly stand
corrected, and be even more
keen to get a thermostatic shower!

They are wrong.

I suppose there's also the issue of not having a backup hot water supply
(like an electric shower could give me) if the combi boiler breaks down,

but
that's not a big worry to me.

You can fit an instant electric heater in the hot outlet of the combi. If
the combi is down turn it on. It only trickles, but backup it is and it
will clean you. All problems solvable.

---

Andy R

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
IMM

I don't see any downside whatsoever from running a shower from a combi.

Maybe I misunderstand how they work, but I'd been led to believe that if

the
shower is supplied from the combi, then for the time that the shower is in
use, the radiators won't get supplied with water therefore cooling the
rooms down? (And some showers take longer than others... ;-) )

Very true

Also, if the shower is in use, and someone does use a hot tap, the shower
would be affected somehow, even if it is a good thermostatic one?

The shower will almost certainly slow down as you're drawing off the same
mains as the shower is, whether it cools down or not depends on whether the
boiler can supply enough hot water to keep the shower and the tap going at
once, probably not.

If these points are wrong, I'll gladly stand corrected, and be even more
keen to get a thermostatic shower!

You're not wrong but I'd still say go for the shower off the combi, it's far
far better.

I suppose there's also the issue of not having a backup hot water supply
(like an electric shower could give me) if the combi boiler breaks down,

but
that's not a big worry to me.

It would be in the middle of winter in a freezing cold house with no hot
water other than what you can boil in a kettle.

FWIW I had a combi installed a year or so ago, reasonably happy but wouldn't
even consider it again unless I had a decent (22mm at least) incoming water
main with decent pressure/flow rate.

Rgds

Andy R

IMM

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
IMM

I don't see any downside whatsoever from running a shower from a

combi.

Maybe I misunderstand how they work, but I'd been led to believe that if

the
shower is supplied from the combi, then for the time that the shower is

in
use, the radiators won't get supplied with water therefore cooling the
rooms down? (And some showers take longer than others... ;-) )

Very true

But not an issue.

Also, if the shower is in use, and someone does use a hot tap, the

shower
would be affected somehow, even if it is a good thermostatic one?

The shower will almost certainly slow down as you're drawing off the same
mains as the shower is, whether it cools down or not depends on whether

the
boiler can supply enough hot water to keep the shower and the tap going at
once, probably not.

1. It will not cool down if it has a pressure equalising valve either: in
the shower mixer, on the mains pipe when t eneters the property or just
before the shower mixer. They are £30 and available in B&Q Warehouse. The
versions that do the whole hosue are 22mm and more expensive.

2. It will not cool down if the combi is powerful enough.

If these points are wrong, I'll gladly stand corrected, and be even more
keen to get a thermostatic shower!

You're not wrong but I'd still say go for the shower off the combi, it's

far
far better.

I suppose there's also the issue of not having a backup hot water supply
(like an electric shower could give me) if the combi boiler breaks down,

but
that's not a big worry to me.

It would be in the middle of winter in a freezing cold house with no hot
water other than what you can boil in a kettle.

See my post on this point.

FWIW I had a combi installed a year or so ago, reasonably happy but

wouldn't
even consider it again unless I had a decent (22mm at least) incoming

water
main with decent pressure/flow rate.

Well uprate the supply. What is the problems anyway. I find that many have
decent flow and pressure, but the system is not piped up correctly or
pressure equalizing valves are not used.

---

Eno Case

Andy

You're not wrong but I'd still say go for the shower off the combi, it's

far
far better.

Thanks, I'm pretty much convinced to go for the shower off the combi now.

It looks from what IMM said ("You install a pressure equalizing valve.")
that if my thermostatic shower unit doesn't have one of those inbuilt, I
should get one separately?

It would be in the middle of winter in a freezing cold house with no hot
water other than what you can boil in a kettle.

LOL! Yeah, and I live in Scotland where the winters can be pretty cold.
What I meant was I'd rather have the powerful shower which I'll use every
day, with the risk that at some point, the boiler (and shower) will be out
of service, rather than go for an electric with it's poor performance just
so that I'm not scuppered for water if/when the combi goes. And besides,
asking to use their shower is a good way to get to know yer neighbours!

Thanks for your advice.

Eno

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
IMM

[...]

IMM

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
Andy

You're not wrong but I'd still say go for the
shower off the combi, it's far far better.

Thanks, I'm pretty much convinced to go
for the shower off the combi now.

It looks from what IMM said ("You install a pressure equalizing valve.")
that if my thermostatic shower unit doesn't have one of those inbuilt, I
should get one separately?

See how the system works. If you have problems install one. It ensure that
both the hot and cold supplies to the shower are of equal pressure,
eliminating the too hot and too cold problems when other taps draw off
water. The temperature operated thermostatic mixers generally are not fast
enough to adjust the outlet temp to the mixers setpoint, the equalizing
valves are fast.

With a mains pressure system, it is best to balance the system. Install
in-line isolators and turn down taps to suit. You do not need full firehose
flow on a wash basin or kitchen tap for that matter, so turn them down. Do
you need full flow on a toilet cistern, probably not at all. A little
adjusting here and there on all water outlet taps can improve the shower and
combi performance considerably.

It would be in the middle of winter in a freezing
cold house with no hot water other than what
you can boil in a kettle.

LOL!

If my boiler packed up, the dishwasher and washing machine would still work,
so would the kettle. So what do you need for backup? A small 2.5kW
electric fan heater and an in-line instant electric water heater in the
combi's outlet, which is for emergencies only. Normally the water heated by
the combi will just run straight through it and it would be switched off.

---

Andy R

"IMM" wrote in message

"Andy R" wrote in message

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
IMM

[...]

We've sold the house now so the prob's disappeared but running 100ft of new
water pipe to the road would be enough to put me off a combi if I did the
project again. We had a Baxi 105e and a 15mm incoming main with a decent
flow rate for that size pipe, however, I'm not convinced you can get enough
water through a 15mm pipe for a house where there is more than one person
using the water at once. You can compromise and fit restrictors then have
kitchen sinks that take forever to fill up if someone's having a shower or
lavatory cisterns that take so long to fill you're embarrassed to let guests
use the loo after you. IMHO if you're in a house that's got any more than
two people living in it and you must have a combi then you need two of them
(or a thermal store or something) and a 22mm or more incoming main.

Rgds

Andy R

IMM

"Andy R" wrote in message

[...]

As a general rule are you correct, and it is wise to split the hot and cold
supplies as the cold water enters the building. But I do know of some 15mm
pipe systems that cope super well, but these have high pressure to start
with and are not 100 metres from the water main in the road. It appears
yours is near a worst case example.

I know of Worcester-Bosch HighFlow combis' that are fed from a 15mm mains
pipe and the hot and cold supplies are split at the stop cock. They
certainly can cope two or three taps at the same time.

The moral is assess the cold water mains supply for suitability.

---

Owain

"Enoesque" wrote
| I'm about to install a new shower. I've got an 80k btu Sime combi
| boiler.
| Can anyone recommend whether it's best to install a thermostatic
| shower connected to the combi boiler, or an electric shower?

Apart from the advantages to the combi mentioned by others, heating the
shower water by gas will usually be quite a lot cheaper than by peak-rate
electricity.

Owain

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..

Thanks for that info Christian.

Just to be clear, you compared the ( 80k btu = ) 24kw from the combi to

10kw

from the electric and did the ratio to get 10lpm versus 4 lpm?

If that's the performance difference then I think there's no question

which

I should use. It's in a one bedroom flat, just me and my girlfriend, so
even the supposed downsides of running the shower from the combi won't
bother me with that performance.

I don't see any downside whatsoever from running a shower from a combi.
people buy them for their power shower type of performance. A good normal
power shower pump costs £200-250. You can pick up a combi for under £400,
that does the heating and gets rid of tanks, liberating all that space, as
well.

For once I have to agree with you.
Blimey!

---

The Natural Philosopher

IMM wrote:

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..

IMM

[...]

haha. It depends on teh combi and the mains pressure. I vidly remember
trying to wah my hands in a GF's downstairs toliet whuile the teenagers
upstaits had showers. No way Jose.

That the point about yer 400 quid combi. You get what you pay or.

If these points are wrong, I'll gladly stand
corrected, and be even more
keen to get a thermostatic shower!

They are wrong.

I suppose there's also the issue of not having a backup hot water supply
(like an electric shower could give me) if the combi boiler breaks down,

but

that's not a big worry to me.

You can fit an instant electric heater in the hot outlet of the combi. If
the combi is down turn it on. It only trickles, but backup it is and it
will clean you. All problems solvable.

---

John

I have a Worcester and a Mira 415 shower valve. This is NOT thermostatic -
but pressure equalising (see their web site). If other taps are suddenly
opened the shower pressure drops - equally on hot and cold - so no problem.

It has worked well for 12 years. Only slight snag is in the winter when I
find it best to 'warn' the boiler that I need the 3 way valve moving by
running a tap for about 5 seconds. This ensures that the domestic water gets
priority.

Mira 415
The Mira 415 is specifically designed for those with a high pressure
hot and cold water supply, or with a fully modulating combination boiler or
instantaneous gas water heater (please check with your installer or call
Mira Customer Service for details).

a.. Pressure balanced to maintain a constant showering temperature,
even with variations in supply pressure, making the showering experience
consistent and enjoyable at all times
b.. Maximum temperature stop limits selection of an unsafe
temperature, which can be over-ridden by the use of a discreet push button
c.. Produces a powerful water flow rate - like that of a power
shower - because it is designed specifically for high pressure water
systems. There is no need to add a pump
d.. Supplied with Mira Response power shower fittings - featuring
three exciting power spray patterns: Start, Champagne and Massage

--

Regards

John

IMM wrote:

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..

IMM

[...]

All of my outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.

Eno Case

Thanks for all your helpful comments.

After reading mostly positive comments in here today, I just decided to buy
it.

For info for anyone else, Makro (UK nationwide wholesaler) were doing one
for £60.

It's here

http://www.homecareappliances.co.uk/...ProdID=342&k=1

for £175.

I've read the specs and can't tell the difference. It also looks like the
one B&Q do for £150.

All I need now is to get it installed and see the difference.

Thanks once again for all your advice.

Eno

"Enoesque" wrote in message
om...
I'm about to install a new shower. I've got an 80k btu Sime combi
boiler.

Can anyone recommend whether it's best to install a thermostatic
shower connected to the combi boiler, or an electric shower?

Has anyone got direct comparisons - e.g. is a thermostatic shower from
an 80k btu combi definitely more powerful than even a 10kw shower?

Any advice much appreciated.

Thanks

eno

IMM

IMM wrote:

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Amazing! After all this time you are learning.

---

IMM

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for all your helpful comments.

After reading mostly positive comments in here today, I just decided to

buy
it.

For info for anyone else, Makro (UK nationwide wholesaler) were doing one
for £60.

It's here

http://www.homecareappliances.co.uk/...ProdID=342&k=1

That clearly say "gravity fed". Not what you need. You require a high
pressure model.

---

IMM

"IMM" wrote in message

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for all your helpful comments.

After reading mostly positive comments in here today, I just decided to

buy
it.

For info for anyone else, Makro (UK nationwide wholesaler) were doing

one
for £60.

It's here

http://www.homecareappliances.co.uk/...ProdID=342&k=1

That clearly say "gravity fed". Not what you need. You require a high
pressure model.

Here is what you need, or the Mira:

Pressure Balance Shower Valve
A shower valve specifically designed for use with combination boilers.
Simple, single lever operation of the flow and temperature selection. Use
with combi-boilers and high pressure systems only. Rub clean handset
prevents limescale build up.

* Automatic Compensation for Inlet Pressure Fluctuations
* Temperature Stabalised
* Maximum Temperature Limiter
* Rub Clean Shower Head
* Ceramic Disc & Drip-Free Cartridge

Specification: Minimum pressure 0.5 bar. Maximum pressure 5 bar. Flow rate
0.5 bar - 7 Litres/minute. Not suitable for gravity fed systems.

£149.00 inc VAT & PP

---

Richard

I agree on the price paid to heat the water - we are lucky enough to have
Economy7 or whatever it's called these days, so I use the immersion
overnight to heat the water for the morning shower, then use the gas to heat
water during the day.

Re an earlier thread, is there an easy way to tell how big the service pipe
is off the main? Do you just use the Mk 1 eyeball and say it's 22mm?
If that is the case, what size service pipe (typically) are Victorian houses
receiving?

Thankss...R

"Owain" wrote in message
"Enoesque" wrote
| I'm about to install a new shower. I've got an 80k btu Sime combi
| boiler.
| Can anyone recommend whether it's best to install a thermostatic
| shower connected to the combi boiler, or an electric shower?

Apart from the advantages to the combi mentioned by others, heating the
shower water by gas will usually be quite a lot cheaper than by peak-rate
electricity.

Owain

Eno Case

That clearly say "gravity fed". Not what you need. You require a high
pressure model.

The instruction manual says

"suitable for use with Gas Combination Boiler"...

Not what you need

....which sounds exactly what I need.

But incase the manual was mince, I phoned Bristan just to check - their
techie said it was
"perfect for combi systems, but it will also do gravity fed systems."

http://www.homecareappliances.co.uk/...ProdID=342&k=1

In case anyone was mislead by that link, IMM was right to an extent - it
says Gravity Fed, but as I've said above, it IS suitable for combis - that
just looks like "Home Care Applicances" haven't categorised their products
well enough.

I appreciate that the Mira might be a much better model, but at a hundred
quid dearer, I think I'll live with mine being not the best, but at least
better than an electric. Sometimes money matters too, rather than just
having top spec :-)

Eno

"IMM" wrote in message

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
Thanks for all your helpful comments.

After reading mostly positive comments in here today, I just decided to

buy
it.

For info for anyone else, Makro (UK nationwide wholesaler) were doing

one
for £60.

It's here

http://www.homecareappliances.co.uk/...ProdID=342&k=1

That clearly say "gravity fed". Not what you need. You require a high
pressure model.

---

IMM

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

The Screwfix pressure balanced mixer is good.

---

IMM

"Eno Case" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Seeing as you have saved a ton of money on the mixer, buy one of these and
fit it on the hot and cold pipes to the mixer. Then pressure balanced and
thermostatically controlled:
http://tinyurl.com/br3n

---

IMM

"Richard" wrote in message

I agree on the price paid to heat the water - we are lucky enough to have
Economy7 or whatever it's called these days, so I use the immersion
overnight to heat the water for the morning shower, then use the gas to

heat
water during the day.

What price per kW is gas and overnight economy leccy?

---

Electric water heater for a shower and hot tap Neill UK diy 2 September 21st 03 04:04 AM
Replacing electric shower - advice? Marshal Anderson UK diy 2 September 15th 03 02:18 PM
Electric shower Matt G UK diy 2 July 16th 03 10:38 PM
electric shower doesn't run cold - - advice please! Andrea UK diy 4 July 12th 03 07:59 AM
Is my electric shower about to fail? BigWallop UK diy 2 July 5th 03 01:57 AM