Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Felt question

Hi

Whats the best way to detail roofing felt at the ridge - should I let
the strip go over the ridge, or cut it at the ridge and add a strip of
felt along the ridge after doing each side?

If I do the former, then some layers of felt will sit over the edge of
over strips rather than laying perfectly flat. That doesnt sound ideal
to me.

thanks, NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
Hi

Whats the best way to detail roofing felt at the ridge - should I let
the strip go over the ridge, or cut it at the ridge and add a strip of
felt along the ridge after doing each side?

If I do the former, then some layers of felt will sit over the edge of
over strips rather than laying perfectly flat. That doesnt sound ideal
to me.

If I understand your question correctly then "some layers of felt will sit
over the edge of over strips" is the way it should be done.the lower layers
being underneath the upper layers by approx 4" IIRC. That way the rain runs
down the felt and onto the next one down not under it. I have roofed a few
sheds etc in my time and I always do the angled bits first and then put the
'ridge piece' over the top and overlap both sides IYSWIM.

HTH

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Ah, confusion, compounded by my typo. Lemme try again.

Roof felt will be applied in horizontal strips, with each strip
overlapping the one below in the usual way.

Now, there are 2 possible ways to detail the felt at the ridge line.

1. is to cut the felt on each side at the ridge, then apply 2 layers
of felt along and over the ridge. Lets try ascii - I'll explode the
diagrams so each layer is shown spaced below the other for clarity:

; /\
; / \
; /\
; / \
; /
; /
; /
; /
; \
; \
; \
; \
; /
; /
; /
; /
; \
; \
; \
; \

2. Method 2 is to not cut it, but let the felt fold over the ridge.
This
way there is no join on the ridge itself, and no cutting. But there
are more small stepped edges in the felt lay.

; /\
; /
; /
; /\