Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJ AJ is offline

Default Sink Waste Pipe T

Hi All

Just fitting the MIL's bathroom for her and I need to 'T' into an
existing sink waste pipe for the waste of the new sink. The existing
sink (now removed) had its own waste pipe but I can no longer use that
as the internal cistern blocks its path. Its a hidden cistern back to
wall jobbie. Can anyone point me in the right direction for such a 'T'
I cant seem to find one anywhere, if there is such a thing!

Cheers

AJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AJ wrote:

Just fitting the MIL's bathroom for her and I need to 'T' into an
existing sink waste pipe for the waste of the new sink. The existing
sink (now removed) had its own waste pipe but I can no longer use that
as the internal cistern blocks its path. Its a hidden cistern back to
wall jobbie. Can anyone point me in the right direction for such a 'T'
I cant seem to find one anywhere, if there is such a thing!

Don't really follow what you mean. What exactly are you trying to do,
and what do you want to tee into?

FWIW here's a standard tee fitting; certainly not unusual so i'm
guessing that's not what you're after:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12701/...Equal-Tee-32mm

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"AJ" wrote in message
Hi All

Just fitting the MIL's bathroom for her and I need to 'T' into an
existing sink waste pipe for the waste of the new sink. The existing
sink (now removed) had its own waste pipe but I can no longer use that
as the internal cistern blocks its path. Its a hidden cistern back to
wall jobbie. Can anyone point me in the right direction for such a 'T'
I cant seem to find one anywhere, if there is such a thing!

Cheers

AJ

I have T'd the washbasin waste into the bath waste in my bathroom due to
only have space for one pipe into the soil pipe using a standard tee as
shown in the other post. However I am sure from an earlier thread here that
this should not be done as the water can be sucked from one trap when the
other fitting is emptying thus allowing smells

May need to fit a running trap soil pipe side of the T as well

Tony

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

"AJ" wrote in message
Hi All

Just fitting the MIL's bathroom for her and I need to 'T' into an
existing sink waste pipe for the waste of the new sink. The existing
sink (now removed) had its own waste pipe but I can no longer use that
as the internal cistern blocks its path. Its a hidden cistern back to
wall jobbie. Can anyone point me in the right direction for such a 'T'
I cant seem to find one anywhere, if there is such a thing!

Cheers

AJ

I have T'd the washbasin waste into the bath waste in my bathroom due to
only have space for one pipe into the soil pipe using a standard tee as
shown in the other post. However I am sure from an earlier thread here
that this should not be done as the water can be sucked from one trap when
the other fitting is emptying thus allowing smells

I have done the same for the same reason. The trap never tends to get broken
as, when the water moves air gurgles through. This only happened for me with
the old basin with a normal plug. If the flow is constricted by a pop up
waste for example, it's not really a problem (just the odd gurgle). Better
separate though.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

TMC wrote:
snip

I have T'd the washbasin waste into the bath waste in my bathroom due to
only have space for one pipe into the soil pipe using a standard tee as
shown in the other post. However I am sure from an earlier thread here that
this should not be done as the water can be sucked from one trap when the
other fitting is emptying thus allowing smells

May need to fit a running trap soil pipe side of the T as well

The (partial) answer to that is HepVO. Works fine but some gurgling
might still occur if you fix a basin waste to a bath waste. No smells.

--
Rod

onset.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJ AJ is offline

On 20 May, 23:35, Lobster wrote:
AJ wrote:
Just fitting the MIL's bathroom for her and I need to 'T' into an
existing sink waste pipe for the waste of the new sink. The existing
sink (now removed) had its own waste pipe but I can no longer use that
as the internal cistern blocks its path. Its a hidden cistern back to
wall jobbie. Can anyone point me in the right direction for such a 'T'
I cant seem to find one anywhere, if there is such a thing!

Don't really follow what you mean. *What exactly are you trying to do,
and what do you want to tee into?

FWIW here's a standard tee fitting; certainly not unusual so i'm
guessing that's not what you're after:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/12701/...aste/Equal-Tee...

David

Thats the one, I couldn't find them anywhere guess it was a late
night!

Basically I want to run a new sink waste pipe into an existing sink
waste pipe. The existing sink waste pipe runs through the bathroom
into the soil stack. the existing sink is in a room next to the
bathroom. Previously there was another sink waste pipe for the
bathroom sink but this cannot be used in the new setup because the new
furniture (Hidden cistern toilet) covers up the where the old pipe
went and there is no easy way around it. I just wanted a T peice as
you kindly pointed me to. I'll attach a flexi to this and should be
job done!
If you have any other ideas please feel free to suggest.

Cheers and appreciated

AJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 May 2008 01:44:32 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be AJ
wrote this:-

Basically I want to run a new sink waste pipe into an existing sink
waste pipe. The existing sink waste pipe runs through the bathroom
into the soil stack. the existing sink is in a room next to the
bathroom. Previously there was another sink waste pipe for the
bathroom sink but this cannot be used in the new setup because the new
furniture

You may find that the pipe run from the new sink is too long for the
fall and thus causes siphonage, both at the new sink and at the
bathroom one. This is indicated by gurgling in the traps. One cure
for this is to increase pipe sizes, another is anti-siphonage traps.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJ AJ is offline

wrote this:-

Basically I want to run a new sink waste pipe into an existing sink
waste pipe. The existing sink waste pipe runs through the bathroom
into the soil stack. the existing sink is in a room next to the
bathroom. Previously there was another sink waste pipe for the
bathroom sink but this cannot be used in the new setup because the new
furniture

You may find that the pipe run from the new sink is too long for the
fall and thus causes siphonage, both at the new sink and at the
bathroom one. This is indicated by gurgling in the traps. One cure
for this is to increase pipe sizes, another is anti-siphonage traps.

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
*http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

Thanks David will look at this. Another thing that has just occured to
me, the old waste pipe, the one I am Teeing into is 38MM diameter
(Outside) I know I have all sorts of fun and games when I did my
wetroom with different size waste pipes. Is 38MM common or will I have
problems with this and need to replace the lot?

Cheers AJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 May 2008 03:37:47 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be AJ
wrote this:-

Another thing that has just occured to
me, the old waste pipe, the one I am Teeing into is 38MM diameter
(Outside) I know I have all sorts of fun and games when I did my
wetroom with different size waste pipes. Is 38MM common or will I have
problems with this and need to replace the lot?

Different manufacturers have different wall thicknesses, so there is
no answer to this question.

The way to deal with this is to use McAlpine Multifit fittings which
fit just about any pipe.

There is a table of lengths and falls at
http://www.mcalpineplumbing.com/wastetrapsandpipes.asp.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Another thing that has just occured to
me, the old waste pipe, the one I am Teeing into is 38MM diameter
(Outside) I know I have all sorts of fun and games when I did my
wetroom with different size waste pipes. Is 38MM common or will I have
problems with this and need to replace the lot?

Different manufacturers have different wall thicknesses, so there is
no answer to this question.

40mm compression waste fittings (rather than push fit) will accomodate the
difference:

http://tinyurl.com/4doxb4

and then a 40-32 adapter

Both available at sheds.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
AJ AJ is offline

wrote this:-

Another thing that has just occured to
me, the old waste pipe, the one I am Teeing into is 38MM diameter
(Outside) I know I have all sorts of fun and games when I did my
wetroom with different size waste pipes. Is 38MM common or will I have
problems with this and need to replace the lot?

Different manufacturers have different wall thicknesses, so there is
no answer to this question.

40mm compression waste fittings (rather than push fit) will accomodate the
difference:

http://tinyurl.com/4doxb4

and then a 40-32 adapter

Both available at sheds.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Thanks Bob. Why would I need the 40-32 adapter? Could I not just buy a
flexi that will fit the equal T as is?

Cheers

AJ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

Another thing that has just occured to
me, the old waste pipe, the one I am Teeing into is 38MM diameter
(Outside) I know I have all sorts of fun and games when I did my
wetroom with different size waste pipes. Is 38MM common or will I have
problems with this and need to replace the lot?

Different manufacturers have different wall thicknesses, so there is
no answer to this question.

40mm compression waste fittings (rather than push fit) will accomodate
the
difference:

http://tinyurl.com/4doxb4

and then a 40-32 adapter

Both available at sheds.

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Thanks Bob. Why would I need the 40-32 adapter? Could I not just buy a
flexi that will fit the equal T as is?

For the purposes of this setup, your existing 38mm is a small 40mm (the
current standards being 40mm and 32mm) NOT a large 32mm!. The new basin
waste will be 32mm. The T, therefore, is effectively in 40mm pipe and allows
a 32mm to join, hence the adapter. An unequal compression T 40-32-40 would
be ideal but I couldn't find one!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 May 2008 12:01:38 +0100 someone who may be "Bob Mannix"
wrote this:-

40mm compression waste fittings (rather than push fit) will accomodate the
difference:

That is quite often the case with generic compression fittings, but
not always.

McAlpine compression fittings will accommodate just about any
difference. If anyone has found a situation where one would not make
a waterproof joint I would be interested in hearing about it.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh