Posted to uk.d-i-y
pj pj is offline

Default external data cable

I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

thank you for your help
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pj" wrote in message
I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

thank you for your help
Pete

Have you considered using Homeplug units? They work very well for me over a
distance of about 30 metres between a house and a barn, although they do
share the same meter. Using Homeplug would remove any worries over earthing
and lightning strikes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
pj writes:
I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

I would lay a duct, and then for starters just pull standard
cat5/6 cable through it. If it dies quickly, then consider
something more expensive.

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

Only if you are passing signals between the buildings which
carry a ground. Twisted pair ethernet is completely isolated
at both ends, so that's OK. Phone cables carry a ground, but
it should never be exposed by the phone instruments.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 18, 12:53*pm, pj wrote:
I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

thank you for your help
Pete

Wouldn't wireless be a lot easier and cheaper?

An access point at each end with a couple of directional aerials. The
whole lot should come to about £120 and would take an hour to install.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon" wrote in message

Using Homeplug would remove any worries over earthing
and lightning strikes.

As in if lightning strikes the mains they blow up the same as any other kit
there at the time?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 04:53:25 -0700, pj wrote:

I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

You should not use copper for data links between buildings. If
you've got separate electrical supplies you may have enough
potential difference between ends to exceed the common-mode
rejection of the ethernet receivers and cause data problems.
And in the event of nearby lightning discharges you may get
enough energy picked up in the cable to damage the equipment at each end
(fried chips, ha ha: I've seen one whose black epoxy package was reduced
to white ash by a cloud-to-cloud lightning discharge overhead).

Depending on the value of the your kit at each end you might suck it and
see, but the pukka way to go is either fibre (you can get pre-terminated
lengths made up to your specified length, which you can pull through a
suitably-sized duct) or - as others have suggested - wireless. Powerline
probably won't work if house and garage are on separate supplies.

--
John Stumbles

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 04:53:25 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj
wrote this:-

I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.

A distance of say 40m in a straight line between buildings is not
good for connecting by copper data cables, for the reasons others
have given. There are precautions which can be taken, but these add
to the cost.

If against this advice you really want to do it then I suggest
http://www.netshop.co.uk/productcategorydetail.aspx?categoryid=51540.
This could be buried in the ground, at a suitable depth, with
protection against rodents where it emerges from the ground.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
You should not use copper for data links between buildings. If
you've got separate electrical supplies you may have enough
potential difference between ends to exceed the common-mode
rejection of the ethernet receivers and cause data problems.

Wonder how broadcasting got round this in the old days - all lines between
building were copper. And indeed around the country. Of course most of
these lines were fed via a balancing transformer which would provide low
voltage isolation - but certainly not from high voltage or lightening. And
I'd guess later equipment used electronic balancing.

--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 13:07:57 +0100,it is alleged that "Simon"
spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

"pj" wrote in message

[snip]
also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

[snip]

Have you considered using Homeplug units? They work very well for me over a
distance of about 30 metres between a house and a barn, although they do
share the same meter. Using Homeplug would remove any worries over earthing
and lightning strikes.

Would homeplug units not have a problem with the garage and house
being on different supplies? Or are they radio units?

--
_
( ) ASCII ribbon campaign against html e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
You should not use copper for data links between buildings. If
you've got separate electrical supplies you may have enough
potential difference between ends to exceed the common-mode
rejection of the ethernet receivers and cause data problems.

Wonder how broadcasting got round this in the old days - all lines between
building were copper. And indeed around the country. Of course most of
these lines were fed via a balancing transformer which would provide low

And [twisted pair] ethernet works exactly the same way -- there's
an isolating transformer at both ends of the cable (rated to 4kV
each IIRC).

voltage isolation - but certainly not from high voltage or lightening.

It won't survive a direct or very close-by hit.
The cost of equipment which does would be considerably more
than the cost of replacing some ethernet cards and routers.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 16:54:11 +0100, Chip wrote:

Would homeplug units not have a problem with the garage and house
being on different supplies?

If they are different phases or the interconnect point between the same
single phase to each building is at a distance then I suspect homeplug
type stuff will struggle or not work.

Or are they radio units?

Radio as in they inject a carrier onto the mains wiring but not radio as
in wireless. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
You should not use copper for data links between buildings. If
you've got separate electrical supplies you may have enough
potential difference between ends to exceed the common-mode
rejection of the ethernet receivers and cause data problems.

Wonder how broadcasting got round this in the old days - all lines
between building were copper. And indeed around the country. Of course
most of these lines were fed via a balancing transformer which would
provide low

And [twisted pair] ethernet works exactly the same way -- there's an
isolating transformer at both ends of the cable (rated to 4kV each IIRC).

That's what I guessed - in the same way as a router or modem is isolated
from the BT line.

voltage isolation - but certainly not from high voltage or lightening.

It won't survive a direct or very close-by hit.
The cost of equipment which does would be considerably more
than the cost of replacing some ethernet cards and routers.

Indeed.

--
*Geeks shall inherit the earth *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
pj pj is offline

thank you all for your prompt replies! in answer to a couple of you
the electric circuits are completely seperate making homeplug
inoperable. I would like if possible to keep a physical data link as
ive had bad experiences with wireless reliability, plus using cat5 i
can go up to gigabit if needs be.

As with the comments above everyone seems to have conflicting views on
whether its a good idea to link buildings. Im not interested in using
fibre as its WAY too expensive for this project. A cheapo £20 switch
will be at either end of the line so im not too bothered if the risk
of it blowing is there, as long as it isnt a common occurance!

I'm torn as i would like to try it but dont want to do anything
dangerous in any way. The building is being done up and will have an
office in the end of it that requires internet access as well as
reasonable transfer speed for backup purposes.

thank you for your comments
Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 13:51:43 -0700, pj wrote:

[...]

Have you looked at including one (or two) of these?

http://www.wifigear.co.uk/viewProduct.aspx?
product=6FE139BA-6946-4CFB-93A6-EA916D797F90

They would need to be installed with a serious earth spike each to be any
use, but that's basically only a metal rod into the ground. That would
make it absolutely safe.

When I did the same thing (from a stable block office to a farmhouse) I
just ran outdoor spec Cat-5 in a buried PVC pipe then had a cheap switch
each end, away from anything flammable... sound familiar?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
pj pj is offline

would plugging each end into a surge protector with an ethernet port
have a similar effect? or a UPS? also both buildings run off the same
transformer and are about 10m away from each other - surely it
shouldnt be this hard to link them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 16:23:21 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Wonder how broadcasting got round this in the old days - all lines
between building were copper. And indeed around the country.

In the real Old Days (TM) they used valves, so no problem.

I gather that when the USAnians started trying to make their military
electronics EMP-proof so that they could chuck nukes around and still keep
flying etc, they found that the Soviets were way ahead of them: the MiGs
etc used miniature valves in their avionics!

--
John Stumbles

A: Because it messes up the order in which people read text.
Q: Why is top-posting a bad thing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 15:56:20 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

And [twisted pair] ethernet works exactly the same way -- there's
an isolating transformer at both ends of the cable (rated to 4kV
each IIRC).

Really? I thought 10 and 100BASE-T used basically RS422 Tx/Rx and 1000BASE
upward more or less followed suit with more fancy signalling. Squeezing
the higher rates through transformers whilst still being
backward-compatible with the lower rates is a feat that boggles my little
mind!

--
John Stumbles

Testiculate [v.t]
To wave one's arms around while talking ********.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:
Wonder how broadcasting got round this in the old days - all lines
between building were copper. And indeed around the country.

In the real Old Days (TM) they used valves, so no problem.

True - but transistors were around for a long time while the majority of
landlines etc were still copper twisted pairs. Indeed, most of our houses
are still connected to the local telephone exchange in this way.

I gather that when the USAnians started trying to make their military
electronics EMP-proof so that they could chuck nukes around and still
keep flying etc, they found that the Soviets were way ahead of them: the
MiGs etc used miniature valves in their avionics!

I can remember Russia selling valve equipment for the domestic market long
after solid state had become the norm - and at the bottom end of it too.
Guess they had factories they just had to keep employed. ;-)

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
On Sun, 18 May 2008 15:56:20 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

And [twisted pair] ethernet works exactly the same way -- there's
an isolating transformer at both ends of the cable (rated to 4kV
each IIRC).

Really? I thought 10 and 100BASE-T used basically RS422 Tx/Rx and 1000BASE
upward more or less followed suit with more fancy signalling. Squeezing
the higher rates through transformers whilst still being
backward-compatible with the lower rates is a feat that boggles my little
mind!

Nope, there is an isolating pulse transformer at each end of each signal and
and isolating DC-DC convertor in the PSU for each Ethernet TP interface (if
it is done correctly). The transformer usually looks like a DIL pack but a
bit higher than normal.

There are a few variants of 100M too some which use two pairs and some that
use four pairs, don't mix them as they wont work.
The four pair variant (100base4) was supposed to be for older cat 3 cable
runs AIUI but IME people just plug it in and if it doesn't work they run a
new cat5 anyway.

1000M uses the four pairs IIRC.

--
John Stumbles

Testiculate [v.t]
To wave one's arms around while talking ********.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pj wrote:
I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

thank you for your help
Pete

Use a bit of conduit and standard cable. Seal with foam if fussy.

No isue in linking since e=ethernet is balanced mode and not earthed
anywy: yiucanalos get isloatio baluns if you are worried.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.

A distance of say 40m in a straight line between buildings is not
good for connecting by copper data cables, for the reasons others
have given. There are precautions which can be taken, but these add
to the cost.

Gosh: you had better tell BT that, since most of the country is fed by
copper cables in excess of a kilometer long.

Underground copper is totally fine: you wont get gigabit speeds, but
should get 100Mbps, and if worried abut comon mode voltage stuff, use
baluns.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2008 11:16:14 +0100 someone who may be The Natural
Philosopher wrote this:-

A distance of say 40m in a straight line between buildings is not
good for connecting by copper data cables, for the reasons others
have given. There are precautions which can be taken, but these add
to the cost.

Gosh: you had better tell BT that, since most of the country is fed by
copper cables in excess of a kilometer long.

Gosh: I never knew that [1].

See my last thirteen words. I will expand on my last thirteen words
by saying that one of the items included in a telephone master
socket is a surge arrestor which adds (a little) to the cost
compared to a secondary socket. The reason this is included is as a
precaution against one of the things others mentioned by other
people.

Nice try, but you have made a fool of yourself again. Whether you
want to continue to do so is up to you.

[1] note for the stupid, there is a fair degree of sarcasm in those
words.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:57:41 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj
wrote this:-

also both buildings run off the same
transformer and are about 10m away from each other - surely it
shouldnt be this hard to link them

I find this statement difficult to reconcile with your earlier one
that, "The route i would like to take requires digging a trench and
the total cable distance comes to about 70m inluding going around
walls etc."

Is there really no way of doing a shorter run, even if it means
digging up some concrete or going under a wall? A lot of the
problems people have mentioned become less as the distance between
buildings reduces.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote this:-

[...]

Overhead phone lines use a GDT at each end. The cost of adding
one is trivial, and theyre widely available (remove from a phone
socket). The cost of a cut price version (a spark gap) is zero.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote this:-

also both buildings run off the same
transformer and are about 10m away from each other - surely it
shouldnt be this hard to link them

It isn't hard. Four ways of doing so have been offered; radio,
fibre, internal grade twisted pair protected by a duct and outdoor
grade twisted pair. There are others but one of those four should be
suitable and all should work. All have their particular strengths
and weaknesses, which the sensible have put forward arguments for
and against.

It is up to you to consider all this information/opinion and decide
for yourself. Only you know the two buildings.

I know how I have linked two buildings 10m apart (and it is not the
way some of the usual suspects may imagine), but I may have come to
a different solution if looking at your two buildings.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
John Stumbles wrote:

Wonder how broadcasting got round this in the old days - all lines
between building were copper. And indeed around the country.

In the real Old Days (TM) they used valves, so no problem.

True - but transistors were around for a long time while the majority of
landlines etc were still copper twisted pairs. Indeed, most of our houses
are still connected to the local telephone exchange in this way.

I gather that when the USAnians started trying to make their military
electronics EMP-proof so that they could chuck nukes around and still
keep flying etc, they found that the Soviets were way ahead of them: the
MiGs etc used miniature valves in their avionics!

I can remember Russia selling valve equipment for the domestic market long
after solid state had become the norm - and at the bottom end of it too.
Guess they had factories they just had to keep employed. ;-)

AIUI The soviet bloc never abandoned valves like we did. I forget the
reasons why. They came up with the valve IC in the late 80s,
something the west would never even attempt.

I gather soviet goods were always low ticket items here because
there were simply so many problems with them. New goods
needed testing and often repair and refinishing, the
businesses that handled them were less than reassuring, and of
course the various consumer fashions that sell so many goods here
were completely ignored, with goods routinely looking like
something out of the 50s or 60s.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y
pj pj is offline

wrote this:-

also bothbuildingsrun off the same
transformer and are about 10m away from each other - surely it
shouldnt be this hard to link them

I find this statement difficult to reconcile with your earlier one
that, "The route i would like to take requires digging a trench and
the total cable distance comes to about 70m inluding going around
walls etc."

Is there really no way of doing a shorter run, even if it means
digging up some concrete or going under a wall? A lot of the
problems people have mentioned become less as the distancebetweenbuildingsreduces.

--
* David Hansen, Edinburgh
*I will *always* explain revoked encryption keys, unless RIP prevents me
*http://www.opsi.gov.uk/acts/acts2000/00023--e.htm#54

the majority of the distance is inside - the two switches are at the
furthest end away from each other of each building (does that make
sense?!).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
s.com, pj scribeth thus
I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

thank you for your help
Pete

If you want to user Radio then I'd recommend 5.8 Ghz point to point
equipment's from Solwise.

NOC 8610 over that range .. they'll do very well and I very much doubt
that they'd be interfered with as there is a part of then band for fixed
point to point links..!..

Avoid 2.4 Ghz waay too crowed these days unless your out in the sticks.

Or armoured direct bury can be had from 2 quid a metre, might be cheaper
then cable plus duct..

Or ordinary CAT 5 outdoor grade might be better longer term in a duct,
which will get water in it unless its very well connected on the joins.

Make sure that the ends are well sealed and the mice don't get in there
or else good by cables the barstards will go thorough standard cables
with no bother..

Advisable to get the draw rope in as you lay it, rather difficult to
push through that distance;!..

Should worry about lightning and isolation. Not too much of a problem
underground. The PC will have an isolated switch mode power unit and
will be earthed as will your shed one and CAT 5 is on isolators in most
cards etc..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
wrote:
I can remember Russia selling valve equipment for the domestic market
long after solid state had become the norm - and at the bottom end of
it too. Guess they had factories they just had to keep employed. ;-)

AIUI The soviet bloc never abandoned valves like we did. I forget the
reasons why.

To keep workers employed at all cost. It was thus in the old days. Valves
were largely hand assembled so very labour intensive - semiconductors not.

They came up with the valve IC in the late 80s,
something the west would never even attempt.

Rightly so I'd guess. ;-)

I gather soviet goods were always low ticket items here because
there were simply so many problems with them. New goods
needed testing and often repair and refinishing, the
businesses that handled them were less than reassuring, and of
course the various consumer fashions that sell so many goods here
were completely ignored, with goods routinely looking like
something out of the 50s or 60s.

I bought a Rigonda radiogram in the '60s. All valve. And most of the
valves had a very poor life. Replacing them with Mullard etc sorted it.

--
*I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article
s.com, pj scribeth thus
I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

thank you for your help
Pete

If you want to user Radio then I'd recommend 5.8 Ghz point to point
equipment's from Solwise.

Or something like http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144712

802.11a should manage 10m with ease even with the APs indoors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Hansen wrote:

I know how I have linked two buildings 10m apart (and it is not the
way some of the usual suspects may imagine)

Eco-friendly carrier pigeon?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
I know how I have linked two buildings 10m apart (and it is not the
way some of the usual suspects may imagine)

Eco-friendly carrier pigeon?

Fooking things are anything but friendly to the paint on my car. Took ages
to get the ****e off this morning. I'm going to cut that tree down...

--
*It IS as bad as you think, and they ARE out to get you.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
I know how I have linked two buildings 10m apart (and it is not the
way some of the usual suspects may imagine)

Eco-friendly carrier pigeon?

Fooking things are anything but friendly to the paint on my car. Took ages
to get the ****e off this morning. I'm going to cut that tree down...

At the moment, it's swallows here. They seem to love garages and hate
classic cars.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

HI All

Steve Firth wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
Steve Firth wrote:
I know how I have linked two buildings 10m apart (and it is not the
way some of the usual suspects may imagine)
Eco-friendly carrier pigeon?

Fooking things are anything but friendly to the paint on my car. Took ages
to get the ****e off this morning. I'm going to cut that tree down...

At the moment, it's swallows here. They seem to love garages and hate
classic cars.

At least the local 'super-territorial' male blue-tit seeoms to be
occupied elsewhere.
For a couple of months he was hanging onto the car doors and headbutting
the rear-view mirrors - and, judging by the evidence he left behind,
getting very, very upset !

The joys of living in the country g

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Huge" wrote in message

You should worry. The male pheasant who lords it over my garden spent a
lot of
time adoring/attacking himself in the French windows, and he's a
slack-bowelled
sod.

Did he knock all seven shades out?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 19 May 2008 04:15:02 -0700 (PDT) someone who may be pj
wrote this:-

also bothbuildingsrun off the same
transformer and are about 10m away from each other - surely it
shouldnt be this hard to link them

I find this statement difficult to reconcile with your earlier one
that, "The route i would like to take requires digging a trench and
the total cable distance comes to about 70m inluding going around
walls etc."

the majority of the distance is inside - the two switches are at the
furthest end away from each other of each building (does that make
sense?!).

I see. In that case it may make sense to adopt a mixed solution,
with internal cables going to the walls nearest to the other
building and something else to bridge the gap.

What does the gap consist of? How easy would it be to dig something
under the ground? Are there any obstructions to a radio link using
directional aerials?

How easy would it be to run a data cable through each building,
perhaps in a loft?

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dennis@home
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article
s.com, pj scribeth thus
I would like to link our house and garage using cat5/6 data cable
allowing internet to be shared. The route i would like to take
requires digging a trench and the total cable distance comes to about
70m inluding going around walls etc.
External grade armoured cable seems to be obscenely expensive so would
some kind of outdoor grade cable within a conduit be acceptable?

also the garage and house are on completely different electricity
mains supplies with different meters etc. Is this a problem in terms
of linking them because they have seperate grounds?

thank you for your help
Pete

If you want to user Radio then I'd recommend 5.8 Ghz point to point
equipment's from Solwise.

Or something like http://www.ebuyer.com/product/144712

802.11a should manage 10m with ease even with the APs indoors.

If your going 5.b Ghz make sure it does the 5.7 to 5.8 part of the band
and conform to the Ofcom IR 2008 regs..
--
Tony Sayer

APC UPS data cable Tom Del Rosso Electronics Repair 6 May 4th 07 08:33 PM
External cable or conduit? Bob UK diy 10 November 22nd 06 10:02 PM
Video & Data cable run Ray Home Repair 7 May 7th 05 05:13 AM
HP 54645D data cable question david Electronics Repair 0 October 1st 03 01:11 AM
External alarm cable and BS4737 Alex H UK diy 8 September 6th 03 12:31 AM