DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Replacement wooden slats for garden bench? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/249649-replacement-wooden-slats-garden-bench.html)

Bruce[_4_] May 11th 08 09:40 PM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

I have acquired two old(ish) garden benches which have cast iron ends
in reasonable condition but rotten wooden slats. I had intended to
repaint the ends and replace the slats with hardwood, however my
partner spotted Homebase were selling new benches for only £30 each.

The Homebase bench is shown he
http://tinyurl.com/6c99x4
or
http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/h...7UC318746X.jpg

Our bench ends are more attractive but those on the Homebase benches
are just about good enough. I already have some dark blue metal paint
and they should come up well with a couple of coats of this.

So the question is, can I obtain new hardwood slats and fixings for
less than £30 per bench, or do I just give up and buy two new benches
from Homebase?

If I buy slats, what combination of type of timber and preservative
(or paint) would be best, taking into account its strength, resistance
to rot and appearance?

OG May 11th 08 10:12 PM

"Bruce" wrote in message
I have acquired two old(ish) garden benches which have cast iron ends
in reasonable condition but rotten wooden slats. I had intended to
repaint the ends and replace the slats with hardwood, however my
partner spotted Homebase were selling new benches for only £30 each.

The Homebase bench is shown he
http://tinyurl.com/6c99x4
or
http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/h...7UC318746X.jpg

Our bench ends are more attractive but those on the Homebase benches
are just about good enough. I already have some dark blue metal paint
and they should come up well with a couple of coats of this.

So the question is, can I obtain new hardwood slats and fixings for
less than £30 per bench, or do I just give up and buy two new benches
from Homebase?

What would give you more satisfaction, bringing the old benches back into
active use, or buying and assembling a couple of benches from a shop?

If you decide not to attempt to renovate the old benches, can I suggest you
see there are any local projects that would be interested in taking them
on - something like that can be used for helping 'naughty boys' get back on
the straight and narrow, or sometimes as occupational therapy for people
with learning difficulties.

Bruce[_4_] May 12th 08 12:10 AM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

"OG" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Definitely bringing the old benches back into active use! The cast
ends are very attractive and they are much higher quality than the
Homebase version. I strongly suspect they were cast here in Britain
rather than in China or Eastern Europe.

If you decide not to attempt to renovate the old benches, can I suggest you
see there are any local projects that would be interested in taking them
on - something like that can be used for helping 'naughty boys' get back on
the straight and narrow, or sometimes as occupational therapy for people
with learning difficulties.

That's a great idea, thanks. But I am keen to restore them, and just
need a little advice on what timber and finish to use, then I will see
if it can be done within the budget. If it can't, I will do what you
suggest.

Thanks for your reply.

Frank Erskine May 12th 08 12:18 AM

On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:40:15 +0100, Bruce wrote:

I have acquired two old(ish) garden benches which have cast iron ends
in reasonable condition but rotten wooden slats. I had intended to
repaint the ends and replace the slats with hardwood, however my
partner spotted Homebase were selling new benches for only £30 each.

The Homebase bench is shown he
http://tinyurl.com/6c99x4
or
http://www.homebase.co.uk/wcsstore/h...7UC318746X.jpg

Our bench ends are more attractive but those on the Homebase benches
are just about good enough.

Supermarket garden benches are usually pretty flimsy, so you would
really be better off getting some oak (or similar) slats, even if they
do cost a little more than 60 quid.

Another advantage is that your reconditioned benches would likely be
more recognisable should they be nicked from your
garden/patio/whatever.

And of course you can make the benches to the optimum length to fit
your available space.

--
Frank Erskine

[email protected] May 12th 08 04:08 AM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

Bruce wrote:
"OG" wrote:
"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

In both cases, whatever you want. You may be able to fit wood a
wee bit thicker in there, which would make it more robust than the
standard chinese offering.

NT

Rod May 12th 08 10:18 AM

Frank Erskine wrote:
On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:40:15 +0100, Bruce wrote:

I have acquired two old(ish) garden benches which have cast iron ends
in reasonable condition but rotten wooden slats. I had intended to
repaint the ends and replace the slats with hardwood, however my
partner spotted Homebase were selling new benches for only £30 each.

snip

Supermarket garden benches are usually pretty flimsy, so you would
really be better off getting some oak (or similar) slats, even if they
do cost a little more than 60 quid.

snip

IME, most "supermarket" cast iron is in fact cast aluminium. Which is
obviously much lighter. In turn the bench is much more likely to be
moved by people, wind, whatever than the heavier real cast iron. And it
will have a different and horrible "sound" - especially if it scrapes
and scratches over a hard surface.

(I really don't know why, but even when thoroughly painted, cast
aluminium is obvious at 1000 paces.)

As for finishing, surely either untreated oak or use an oil - much
previous discussion here over the relative merits of the various oils
available such as Danish and Tung oils.

--
Rod

onset.

Bruce[_4_] May 12th 08 04:52 PM

Frank Erskine wrote:

Supermarket garden benches are usually pretty flimsy, so you would
really be better off getting some oak (or similar) slats, even if they
do cost a little more than 60 quid.

That's what I thought. But the Homebase bench actually has sturdy
slats. I sat on one (I'm not light) and it didn't budge. However,
the cast metal ends look a bit flimsy.

Another advantage is that your reconditioned benches would likely be
more recognisable should they be nicked from your
garden/patio/whatever.

And of course you can make the benches to the optimum length to fit
your available space.

Two good selling points ... all I need to do is convince my partner!

But another factor has come into play - the local Homebase is out of
stock. ;-)

Bruce[_4_] May 12th 08 04:54 PM

Rod wrote:

IME, most "supermarket" cast iron is in fact cast aluminium. Which is
obviously much lighter. In turn the bench is much more likely to be
moved by people, wind, whatever than the heavier real cast iron. And it
will have a different and horrible "sound" - especially if it scrapes
and scratches over a hard surface.

(I really don't know why, but even when thoroughly painted, cast
aluminium is obvious at 1000 paces.)

I agree. But that's about the only criticism I can find of the
Homebase product.

As for finishing, surely either untreated oak or use an oil - much
previous discussion here over the relative merits of the various oils
available such as Danish and Tung oils.

I'm certainly leaning towards oak, and your suggestion of oil is a
good one. I will search Google Groups for previous discussions.

Andy Dingley May 13th 08 12:54 AM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

On Sun, 11 May 2008 20:40:15 +0100, Bruce wrote:

So the question is, can I obtain new hardwood slats and fixings for
less than £30 per bench, or do I just give up and buy two new benches
from Homebase?

New benches will give you flimsy crapwood slats.

Buy some timber and fit larch slats, from a good timberyard, NOT a DIY
shed, they'll cost a fortune. This is strong, springy, and just about
the most rotproof affordable softwood you can get. Finsih it with either
Danish oil (Screwfix cheap) or a more expensive oil such as Organoil.
Otherwise varnish with one of the Sikkens products (still the best
outdoor varnish).

Locally to Bristol I'd suggest Bendrey Bros. Compare prices from their
website to get an idea of what's reasonable.

I wouldn't use oak. It's not as strong in a thin section (larch will
bend further than oak without breaking, even though it might take less
weight to do it). It will also go grey in no time, even though it might
last slightly longer overall. If you really want UK hardwood, go for
sweet chestnut instead. That's much better at resisting rot.

Bruce[_4_] May 13th 08 12:18 PM

Andy Dingley wrote:

[...]

Thanks for that, Andy. I've been given the go-ahead to buy new slats
and restore the old cast iron ends, mainly because Homebase are now
out of stock of that bench in our area.

To be fair to Homebase, while the cast alloy ends are not great, the
slats appear to be made from good quality hardwood, are firm to sit on
and nicely finished.

Andy Dingley May 13th 08 12:34 PM

On 13 May, 11:18, Bruce wrote:

I've been given the go-ahead to buy new slats
and restore the old cast iron ends,

Web search for "electrolysis" too. It's a good way of de-rusting cast
iron, particularly when there's awkward detail to fiddle around.

Frank Erskine May 13th 08 04:13 PM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

On Tue, 13 May 2008 03:34:07 -0700 (PDT), Andy Dingley
wrote:

On 13 May, 11:18, Bruce wrote:

I've been given the go-ahead to buy new slats
and restore the old cast iron ends,

Web search for "electrolysis" too. It's a good way of de-rusting cast
iron, particularly when there's awkward detail to fiddle around.

It's also good for removing unwanted hair...

;-)
--
Frank Erskine

Rod May 13th 08 04:58 PM

wrote:

On 13 May, 11:18, Bruce wrote:

I've been given the go-ahead to buy new slats
and restore the old cast iron ends,

Web search for "electrolysis" too. It's a good way of de-rusting cast
iron, particularly when there's awkward detail to fiddle around.

It's also good for removing unwanted hair...

;-)

And I thought you were meant to spit it out. :-)

--
Rod

onset.

santa August 13th 16 11:44 PM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

replying to Bruce, santa wrote:
I know this is old but could you not of used your bench ends and justused the
wood and braces to replacce the slats

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...ch-478535-.htm

[email protected] August 14th 16 12:02 AM

On Saturday, 13 August 2016 22:44:03 UTC+1, santa wrote:
replying to Bruce, santa wrote:
I know this is old but could you not of used your bench ends and justused the
wood and braces to replacce the slats

I doubt he's still here 6 years later.
You need
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

NT

Davey August 14th 16 01:36 AM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

On Sat, 13 Aug 2016 21:44:01 +0000
santa wrote:

I know this is old but could you not of used your bench ends and
justused the wood and braces to replacce the slats

I know this is old but could you not HAVE used your bench ends and
just used the wood and braces to replace the slats?

There, fixed it for you.
The time delay, I cannot fix.

--
Davey.

[email protected] August 29th 17 10:00 PM

santa wrote:

I know this is old but could you not of used your bench ends and
justused the wood and braces to replacce the slats

I know this is old but could you not HAVE used your bench ends and
just used the wood and braces to replace the slats?

There, fixed it for you.
The time delay, I cannot fix.

--
Davey.

Dear Bruce did you ever manage to get the answer that u requested and repair the bench. i now have the same problem. I just want to purchase the slats to repair my bench which is 4 foot in lenght

[email protected] August 30th 17 01:51 AM

santa wrote:

I know this is old but could you not HAVE used your bench ends and
just used the wood and braces to replace the slats?

There, fixed it for you.
The time delay, I cannot fix.

Dear Bruce did you ever manage to get the answer that u requested and repair the bench. i now have the same problem. I just want to purchase the slats to repair my bench which is 4 foot in lenght

He probably hasn't been here since 2008. Here is newsgroup uk.d-i-y.

I reslatted mine. Not difficult. Used ss roofing bolts.

NT

[email protected] July 21st 20 02:43 PM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

I've seen slat replacement kit selling for £100 which is ridiculous compared to the price of a new bench.

[email protected] July 21st 20 02:50 PM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

Top answer ;):
I made replacement slats from old barge boards. They are treated so should last a long time. New barge boards cost £6 from Wickes and you can make four 4-foot slats from each.

[email protected] July 21st 20 08:02 PM

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 13:50:32 UTC+1, wrote:
Top answer ;):
I made replacement slats from old barge boards. They are treated so should last a long time. New barge boards cost £6 from Wickes and you can make four 4-foot slats from each.

Could be a top answer if posted 12 years ago when the question was asked.
Use google groups to get here rather than that mad website you're on and you won't have these problems.

NT

F Murtz July 22nd 20 01:22 PM

On 21/7/20 10:43 pm, wrote:
I've seen slat replacement kit selling for £100 which is ridiculous compared to the price of a new bench

..are they not just bits of wood ,what's this kit business, this is DIY

[email protected] August 15th 20 12:22 AM

Replacement wooden slats for garden bench?

Hi,
My 5 cents worth. I use upcycled wood from pallets. Care must be taken to select know free lengths, but the length of an E pallet is 1.2 meters, perfect length. I have done 3 Benches, all of them look great. The pallets that are ideal are ones from oil companies. The ones that are used to deliver 4 x 44 gal Drums of engine oil to garages.