Stick-on bath shelf

Old May 8th 08, 05:42 PM posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

Default Stick-on bath shelf

I have one of those bath shelves which sticks on to the tiles with
suckers. http://images.orgill.com/200x200/3679446.jpg

The PROBLEM is that even when the shelf is lightly loaded, the suckers
lose their grip after a few hours.

I know wall-screws is a far better way to fix a bath shelf but I want a
temporary shelf.

The big supermarkets sell these sucker shelves and I tend not to think
that a large percentage of sucker shelves get returned otherwise it
would cost too much for the store just in handling all the returns.

----------------

QUESTIONS

Why do these sucker grips shelves fail to hold.

(1) Am I doing something wrong? I clean the surface of the tile, I
let all the air out when the sucker is squashed. The sucker seems to
hold very well ... until I turn my back for a few hours.

(2) Maybe using suckers is a design so inherently bad such that no-one
here has ever much success. Or is your sucker shelf staying up?

Old May 8th 08, 07:06 PM posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

"Zakko" wrote in message
I have one of those bath shelves which sticks on to the tiles with
suckers. http://images.orgill.com/200x200/3679446.jpg

(2) Maybe using suckers is a design so inherently bad such that no-one
here has ever much success. Or is your sucker shelf staying up?

I bought one like that then got tired of it very quickly. I graduated to
this and it sticks and stays stuck, and I out shampoo and shower bottles in
it. It has locking suction cups. Excellent.

http://www.johnlewis.com/230217529/Product.aspx

Old May 8th 08, 07:36 PM posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

On Thu 08 May 2008 18:06:44, Angela wrote:
"Zakko" wrote in message

I have one of those bath shelves which sticks on to the tiles with
suckers. http://images.orgill.com/200x200/3679446.jpg

(2) Maybe using suckers is a design so inherently bad such that
no-one here has ever much success. Or is your sucker shelf
staying up?

I bought one like that then got tired of it very quickly. I
graduated to this and it sticks and stays stuck, and I out shampoo
and shower bottles in it. It has locking suction cups. Excellent.
http://www.johnlewis.com/230217529/Product.aspx

Thanks for the link! Oddly enough, only the one product you mentioned
on that web page has "locking" suckers.

By co-incidence another product shown on that page is *identical* to
the one which is giving me trouble! I mean this one:

http://www.johnlewis.com/230133665/Product.aspx

Seems unlikely that John Lewis would stock this if it they got a lot of
complaints. And yet I can't get the shelf's suckers to work beyond a
few hours.
Old May 8th 08, 07:42 PM posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

For suction cups to stick to the tiles in a bathroom,the tile must be
thoroughly devoid of dirt and oils ie wipe with turps or meths.
The cups also must be cleaned.

I should know...the darn penquin radio is stuck fast and if I remove it I
swear the tile will break off before the radio. ;-)

Old May 8th 08, 07:56 PM posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

Zakko wrote:
I have one of those bath shelves which sticks on to the tiles with
suckers. http://images.orgill.com/200x200/3679446.jpg

The PROBLEM is that even when the shelf is lightly loaded, the suckers
lose their grip after a few hours.

Oh what a surprise :-)

QUESTIONS

Why do these sucker grips shelves fail to hold.

Because its a bloody daft idea in the first place. Doomed.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old May 8th 08, 08:10 PM posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

For suction cups to stick to the tiles in a bathroom,the tile must be
thoroughly devoid of dirt and oils ie wipe with turps or meths.
The cups also must be cleaned.

The tiles should also have a smooth, glossy surface.
Some tiles have some texture that will allow air
to gradually get under the suction cup.

One thing you might try is a very thin coating of
petroleum jelly around the rim of the suction cup
to act as a gasket.
Old May 8th 08, 09:15 PM posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message

Zakko wrote:
I have one of those bath shelves which sticks on to the tiles with
suckers. http://images.orgill.com/200x200/3679446.jpg

The PROBLEM is that even when the shelf is lightly loaded, the suckers
lose their grip after a few hours.

Oh what a surprise :-)

QUESTIONS

Why do these sucker grips shelves fail to hold.

Because its a bloody daft idea in the first place. Doomed.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Glass shelves yes,but the type he's got are not a daft idea to stick on
tiles.

Old May 9th 08, 03:53 AM posted to sci.physics,uk.d-i-y

On Thu 08 May 2008 19:10:43, Greg Neill wrote:

"George" wrote in message

For suction cups to stick to the tiles in a bathroom,the tile
must be thoroughly devoid of dirt and oils ie wipe with turps or
meths. The cups also must be cleaned.

The tiles should also have a smooth, glossy surface.
Some tiles have some texture that will allow air
to gradually get under the suction cup.

One thing you might try is a very thin coating of
petroleum jelly around the rim of the suction cup
to act as a gasket.

The tiles are old (30 years maybe) so perhaps they are invisibly
pitted. I'll try the petroleum jelly approach.

Cheap peel-n-stick floor tile doesn't stick Mike Home Repair 13 June 5th 07 06:31 AM
help converting a (adjustable) shelf into a pull out shelf harsh Woodworking 2 June 13th 06 10:59 PM
tiled shelf around bath Vass UK diy 4 November 14th 05 06:29 PM
Looking for a bath overflow that is flush with the bath surface? Peter UK diy 0 October 18th 05 03:07 PM
Bath tap seemingly welded to iron bath mfcexpert UK diy 10 December 12th 03 11:26 PM