Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Doing up 22mm compression fittings

I've recently been re-plumbing my airing cupboard, in order to replace the
hot cylinder which was leaking. Since the new one has a bigger coil than the
old one, the primary connections are further apart causing the pipework to
need re-rigging - so I decided to convert from Y-Plan to S-Plan while I was
at it, using Honeywell 22mm 2-port valves. I've also used several Peglar
quarter turn full-bore lever valves, to enable various bits to be isolated
easily. The Honeywell and Peglar valves were all supplied with 22mm
compression fittings, and I was amazed at the amount of torque required to
get them 'tight'.

Wherever possible, I initially made the joints 'off-line' by holding the
valve body in a vice while doing up the compression nut. On numerous
occasions I found that after doing up the nut with a 15" adjustable spammer,
using far more torque than *felt* [1] right, if I took it apart again the
olive would still rotate fairly freely on the (copper) pipe.

Is this what usually happens, or was I doing something wrong?

I eventually got them tight by using even more brute force - and then put a
smear of Screwfix 'no nonsense' leak sealant round both sides of the olive
for the good measure - and all seems ok. But the amount of force I had to
apply still worries me a bit.

Any comments?

[1] After 50 years of DIY, car maintenance, etc. I reckon you develop an
instinctive 'feel' for what is right when doing up bolts and nuts - without
reference to torque wrenches, etc.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On May 8, 2:35*pm, "Roger Mills" wrote:
[...]

Are you sure you weren't putting a 22mm fitting on an older 3/4 inch
OD pipe? You can get special 'fat' olives to cope with the small
difference. I had this problem in my 1960s house.

Robert

Posted to uk.d-i-y

RobertL wrote:

[...]

Yes. One end of one or two of the isolator valves were on 3/4" pipe - for
which I used the proper 3/4" imperial olives. But the problems to which I
initially referred were with brand new 22mm copper pipe, using the 22mm
olives supplied with the fittings.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Roger Mills" writes:

Yes. One end of one or two of the isolator valves were on 3/4" pipe - for
which I used the proper 3/4" imperial olives. But the problems to which I
initially referred were with brand new 22mm copper pipe, using the 22mm
olives supplied with the fittings.

They do need quite a lot of force (possibly more so for brass
olives than copper olives). For 22mm compression joints, I put
a couple of turns of PTFE on the thread and on the rear half
of the olive to act as a lubricant whilst tightening, but I'm
very careful not to get it into any of the sealing surfaces.
(If you disassemble again before final assembly, you can take
the PTFE off once the olive is deformed onto the pipe.)

I found it also made a big difference having spanners which
are exactly the right size. On 15mm, I had written off a
couple of nuts using an adjustable spanner whose jaws were
perhaps not completely parallel due to give in the sliding
mechanism. The spanner managed to squish the nut into a
slight oval shape, which of course never managed to make a
seal.

I never use compression fittings except where I have to.
My preferred option is soldered fittings, but obviously
not usable or applicable in all cases.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
In article ,
"Roger Mills" writes:

Yes. One end of one or two of the isolator valves were on 3/4" pipe - for
which I used the proper 3/4" imperial olives. But the problems to which I
initially referred were with brand new 22mm copper pipe, using the 22mm
olives supplied with the fittings.

They do need quite a lot of force (possibly more so for brass
olives than copper olives). For 22mm compression joints, I put
a couple of turns of PTFE on the thread and on the rear half
of the olive to act as a lubricant whilst tightening, but I'm
very careful not to get it into any of the sealing surfaces.
(If you disassemble again before final assembly, you can take
the PTFE off once the olive is deformed onto the pipe.)

Andrew - why not use a smear of oil or grease instead of PTFE tape?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" writes:

Yes. One end of one or two of the isolator valves were on 3/4" pipe - for
which I used the proper 3/4" imperial olives. But the problems to which I
initially referred were with brand new 22mm copper pipe, using the 22mm
olives supplied with the fittings.

They do need quite a lot of force (possibly more so for brass
olives than copper olives). For 22mm compression joints, I put
a couple of turns of PTFE on the thread and on the rear half
of the olive to act as a lubricant whilst tightening, but I'm
very careful not to get it into any of the sealing surfaces.
(If you disassemble again before final assembly, you can take
the PTFE off once the olive is deformed onto the pipe.)

Andrew - why not use a smear of oil or grease instead of PTFE tape?

Could do.
When plumbing, there's usually a roll of PTFE tape around
(if not several). Also, it doesn't leave any residue behind.
Oil or grease might later run out of the joint and down the
outside of the pipe.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:

Wherever possible, I initially made the joints 'off-line' by holding the
valve body in a vice while doing up the compression nut. On numerous
occasions I found that after doing up the nut with a 15" adjustable spammer,
using far more torque than *felt* [1] right, if I took it apart again the
olive would still rotate fairly freely on the (copper) pipe.

Is this what usually happens, or was I doing something wrong?

Some lubrication often helps - I usually use a small amount of PTFE on
the fitting just to aid tightening - saves the joint making that nasty
squeaking noise as you go as well!

I also have a big adjustable spanner that is sort of crossed with a mole
grip style locking mechanism. You wind it down to size like normal - but
then squeezing the extra side handle locks it on the nut.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Try a smear of boss white on the threads to lubricate them and another
smear around the olive. It works every time for him.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

Wherever possible, I initially made the joints 'off-line' by holding
the valve body in a vice while doing up the compression nut. On
numerous occasions I found that after doing up the nut with a 15"
adjustable spammer, using far more torque than *felt* [1] right, if
I took it apart again the olive would still rotate fairly freely on
the (copper) pipe. Is this what usually happens, or was I doing something
wrong?

Some lubrication often helps - I usually use a small amount of PTFE on
the fitting just to aid tightening - saves the joint making that nasty
squeaking noise as you go as well!

I also have a big adjustable spanner that is sort of crossed with a
mole grip style locking mechanism. You wind it down to size like
normal - but then squeezing the extra side handle locks it on the
nut.

I've got one of those as well, made by Stanley Tools. Brilliant. A Godsend
when plumbing, like having an extra hand - lock it onto the fitting & it
stays there.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-S...ench-23330.htm

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Medway Handyman wrote:

I've got one of those as well, made by Stanley Tools. Brilliant. A Godsend
when plumbing, like having an extra hand - lock it onto the fitting & it
stays there.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-S...ench-23330.htm

Yup, that's the beastie...

--