MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

Old May 5th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default MDF or Plywood for outdoor sign.

I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything and then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it which
would be the better option?

Thanks!

Old May 5th 08, 09:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything and then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it which
would be the better option?

Thanks!

Waterproof ply aka marine ply
Mdf can be got that is moisture resistant (greenish colour) but WPB ply
will be best.
Bob
Old May 5th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
R D S wrote:
I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything
and then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it
which
would be the better option?

Thanks!

Waterproof ply aka marine ply
Mdf can be got that is moisture resistant (greenish colour) but WPB ply
will be best.
Bob

Mmm. I would steer clear of wood altogether.

Acrlyic, aluminium, steel..foam board even..
Old May 5th 08, 09:43 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:
R D S wrote:
I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything and
then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for
outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it
which
would be the better option?

Thanks!

Waterproof ply aka marine ply
Mdf can be got that is moisture resistant (greenish colour) but WPB ply
will be best.
Bob

Mmm. I would steer clear of wood altogether.

Acrlyic, aluminium, steel..foam board even..

Fair enough, any recommendations of where to get the above from would be
appreciated while I go off and google.

Old May 5th 08, 10:08 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 5 May 2008 20:10:04 +0100, R D S wrote:

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal,

WBP or marine ply. They ain't the same stuff, marine has a higher price
tag but for your use WBP (water and boil prooof) will be fine. There are
some bits of 18 mm WBP that have been kicking about outside with not
treatment or protection, lent against a wall so one end (now) in the
ground and they haven't delaminated yet.

MDF will just fall apart if any damp gets into it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old May 6th 08, 05:32 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Mon, 5 May 2008 20:10:04 +0100, R D S wrote:

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal,

WBP or marine ply. They ain't the same stuff, marine has a higher price
tag but for your use WBP (water and boil prooof) will be fine. There are
some bits of 18 mm WBP that have been kicking about outside with not
treatment or protection, lent against a wall so one end (now) in the
ground and they haven't delaminated yet.

MDF will just fall apart if any damp gets into it.

--
Cheers
Dave.

MDF becomes a soft almost mushy material when wet through.

NT
Old May 6th 08, 10:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
I am about to put a sign outside a shop but don't want to spend 100's

A guy I know can print us a banner, stick it to just about anything and

then
laminate it.

I have MDF and plyboard at my disposal, which would be better for outdoor
use? It will be laminated but if weather could eventually get into it

which
would be the better option?

Thanks!

Ebay for a Plastic/Perspex material,there are more sellers than this...just
search perspex on ebay.
What size do you need? this material will be your best bet.
http://tinyurl.com/4m7nae

Old May 6th 08, 10:23 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Mmm. I would steer clear of wood altogether.

We had a Ply sign up for several years and only changed it when the shop
created enough money and our Logo changed.

the sign was cut in 2 peices from a sheet of 18mm marine ply IIRC.

Painted with regular silk vynal paint as used inside the shop then the
logo and letters were up-scaled and printed in reverse on A4 sheets on
an inkjet printer.
Pages were then turned face-side down on the board and traced through
leaving an outline of letters the right way round on the board for
filing in.

Whole lot was then given several coats of a clear varnish (might have
been marine or floor grade whichever was the clearest)

Job done.

Then we had a foamex/vynal board/letters which faded quickly and was a
bit crap all round but lasted for another 3 years or more until we
forked out for acrylic sign with light-box.

Quality of sign depends on funds avasilable at the time, but even a
basic ply sign will get the message across well.

Our Logo and sign design has changed significantly with each version so
no point forkig out big money for a fancy sign in the first years of
business when for a new business it will alomost certainly need revision
and re-design as the business evolves.

IMHO

Current sign reflects the fact that we are a significant entity on the
interweb these days. (top left image) http://www.gymratz.co.uk

Cheers
Pete
Old May 6th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Thing is if you'd have used a bit of logic first&formost you would ve saved
the penny's ie two 3mm thick perspex sheets drilled at 4 corners and cut to
size.
The Logo could have been printed out and laminated then sandwiched between
the two sheets of perspex and sign changed at any time during the course of
the buisness.

Old May 6th 08, 11:31 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:

Thing is if you'd have used a bit of logic first&formost you would ve saved
the penny's ie two 3mm thick perspex sheets drilled at 4 corners and cut to
size.
The Logo could have been printed out and laminated then sandwiched between
the two sheets of perspex and sign changed at any time during the course of
the buisness.

Sounds like a bit of a nightmare.
Firstly you would have eater ingress between perspex & laminated sheet.
secondly, 2 x 3mm perspex sheets would need a lot of fixing points and
would be too easy to crack, whereas Ply was just dripp through @ Screw.

I would have no hesitation recommending Plywood again.
Actaully better than our foamex experiences bot Acrylic rules if funds
allow.