Richard

Default Know of a good internet source for trench and excavation information?

Hi,
Trying to do my homework on excavations, and looking for a resource that
tells you all the names of the component parts in excavations, e.g. waling,
trench sheet, struts, etc. etc..
Does anyone know of a good site?
Thanks in advance....

BigWallop

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi,
Trying to do my homework on excavations, and looking for a resource that
tells you all the names of the component parts in excavations, e.g.

waling,
trench sheet, struts, etc. etc..
Does anyone know of a good site?
Thanks in advance....

Not sure what you're after here Richard (?) A trench commonly has a floor
and walls, and in some cases a roof in bad weather conditions. Wall
retention is done by anything strong enough to stop the combined weight of
soil from trying to slip and depending how far you're going in, it will need
bracing between the walls to combine the strength and prevent the walls from
collapsing in.

The materials used as shoring, shuttering or bracing is what ever is strong
enough to do the job safely. So not exactly sure what else you want to know
(?)

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com

Richard

Hi, thanks for that, I have now found it in a book (which I guess is where
the instructor took it from!)
What I was after (but didn't explain very well), was e.g. a diagram that
showed a trench etc and had all the parts named, such as polling board,
waling, trench strut, etc etc.

Thanks anyway!

Cheers...R

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Richard" wrote in message
[...]

BigWallop

"Richard" wrote in message
Hi, thanks for that, I have now found it in a book (which I guess is where
the instructor took it from!)
What I was after (but didn't explain very well), was e.g. a diagram that
showed a trench etc and had all the parts named, such as polling board,
waling, trench strut, etc etc.

Thanks anyway!

Cheers...R

Oh Right !! Sorry. I just thought you were after the basics of a trench.
You may meet the proverbial naming terms on a site though, were the names of
the different parts used are taken from the part makers names, eg. Hoover,
Acro, etc. for many of the things used.

And please don't call it a "Polling Board" when your in the trench, because
it's actually called a "Poling Board" which is the shield board used when
digging a face (wall).

Struts are just Struts. Bracings are just Bracings. Nothing much else to
say about them.

---
www.basecuritysystems.no-ip.com