Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rawlplug Uno Plugs

FYI

Been using these for a few weeks now with great success.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89492/...5mm-Pack-of-96

Blurb says;
"Universal plug for fixing into any wall, ceiling or floor. For use in
concrete, stone, plasterboard, brick and blockwork. Unique design with
expansion throughout the length of the plug. Expands at the top giving
instant grip. Anti-rotation features prevent spinning in the hole".

They do just what they say they do. I've found them excellent for block,
dot & dab, plasterboard or solid walls.

They are going to be my standard plug as soon as I've used up existing
stock.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
FYI

Been using these for a few weeks now with great success.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89492/...5mm-Pack-of-96

Blurb says;
"Universal plug for fixing into any wall, ceiling or floor. For use in
concrete, stone, plasterboard, brick and blockwork. Unique design with
expansion throughout the length of the plug. Expands at the top giving
instant grip. Anti-rotation features prevent spinning in the hole".

They do just what they say they do. I've found them excellent for block,
dot & dab, plasterboard or solid walls.

They are going to be my standard plug as soon as I've used up existing
stock.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Do you find that the effectiveness of the plug is related to the type of
screw used. The old type of wood screws being better as the root of the
thread is tapered and this forces open the plug. Modern screws tend to cut a
thread into the plug and they don't force them open as effectively.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
FYI

Been using these for a few weeks now with great success.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89492/...5mm-Pack-of-96

Blurb says;
"Universal plug for fixing into any wall, ceiling or floor. For use in
concrete, stone, plasterboard, brick and blockwork. Unique design with
expansion throughout the length of the plug. Expands at the top giving
instant grip. Anti-rotation features prevent spinning in the hole".

They do just what they say they do. I've found them excellent for block,
dot & dab, plasterboard or solid walls.

They are going to be my standard plug as soon as I've used up existing
stock.

Just saw these alongside red Fischer equivalents. (What? Fischer plugs
that are not grey!!!) Only a few pence difference (100 Fischer plugs vs
96 Rawl) - around £2 each. Given such similarity, would you still choose
Rawl over Fischer?

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

Which Fischer ones are you talking about? Link?

I like the Rawl ones because thay have a lip that stops the plug going
into the hole.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
[...]

I use Twinfast screws from SF. I find they work really well in plugs.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

I saw them in a *real* shop!

I think this is them (or should that be "these are they"?):

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41044/Fixings/Wall-Plugs/Fischer-Plastic-Wall-Plugs-Red-4-5mm-Pack-of-300

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
[...]

What! Out there in the real world?

I think this is them (or should that be "these are they"?):

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/41044/...mm-Pack-of-300

They appear to be standard plugs e.g. just for solid walls. Uno or
universal plugs work in block, dot & dab, plasterboard or solid walls.

The Fischer universal are good, but don't have a lip
https://www.screwfix.com/prods/72709...mm-Pack-of-100

And cost a bit more. Cost isn't the deciding factor mind, but if two things
both work as well I'll buy the cheapest.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medway Handyman View Post
FYI

Been using these for a few weeks now with great success.

Rawlplug® Uno Plugs Red 3.5-5mm Pack of 96 | Screwfix.com

Blurb says;
"Universal plug for fixing into any wall, ceiling or floor. For use in
concrete, stone, plasterboard, brick and blockwork. Unique design with
expansion throughout the length of the plug. Expands at the top giving
instant grip. Anti-rotation features prevent spinning in the hole".

They do just what they say they do. I've found them excellent for block,
dot & dab, plasterboard or solid walls.

They are going to be my standard plug as soon as I've used up existing
stock.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
the medway handyman for all those little jobs that need to be done
The best rawlplug money can buy, but they can be expensive. Try ebay. I've just done a deal foe x 4 packs of 288 for £2.90 each!!! Doesn't get any better than that.