Hamish Marson

Default Does an exiting chimney require a flue liner?

I have a victorian semi-detatched with an old fireplace in the
downstairs lounge (AT rear of building). We want to put a new
fireplace & gas fire in there.

Does the installation require a new flue, or is the existing chimney
able to be used for the gas fire without any alterations? The chimney
itself is in he centre of the house, and serves all 4 rooms in the
main part of the house (2 on ground floor, 2 on 1st floor) and has 4x
separate chimney pots at the top indicating 4 separate flues (One to
each room).

The installer is so far telling us it doesn't ned anything else done
to the existing chimney, but I'd rather be safe than sorry later...

--

I don't suffer from Insanity... | Linux User #16396
I enjoy every minute of it... |

http://www.travellingkiwi.com/ |

The Natural Philosopher

Hamish Marson wrote:

I have a victorian semi-detatched with an old fireplace in the
downstairs lounge (AT rear of building). We want to put a new fireplace
& gas fire in there.

Does the installation require a new flue, or is the existing chimney
able to be used for the gas fire without any alterations? The chimney
itself is in he centre of the house, and serves all 4 rooms in the main
part of the house (2 on ground floor, 2 on 1st floor) and has 4x
separate chimney pots at the top indicating 4 separate flues (One to
each room).

It is pretty much mandatory to line all flues these days for everything.
If the property is pre 1567, you are allowd to use a flexible flue I
think - check with buildng inspector.

The installer is so far telling us it doesn't ned anything else done to
the existing chimney, but I'd rather be safe than sorry later...

The legal issue is I think you have to line it.

Th reaosn I think are to do with fire sfaety - old chimneys - even those
using ceramic blocks - may not be able to take the heat and failing
mortar joints can cause gassing and/or ignition of nearby timberwork.
Thats the rationale. Also your gas fire is likley to want to couple up
to a round flue anyway.

I wouldn't care to have a fire insurance claim refused because I didn't
follow 'accepted' practice either.

Check this out carefully - I may be wroing, but for the few hundred to
install a linetr, I'd play safe.

Bob Minchin

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Hamish Marson wrote:

[...]

Have you got a web link to the 1567 building regs I could use?

running & ducking

Bob

Tony Bryer

In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:
If the property is pre 1567, you are allowd to use a flexible
flue I think - check with buildng inspector.

If it's pre-1567 TPTB won't let you do anything!

Free SEDBUK boiler database browser
http://www.sda.co.uk/qsedbuk.htm

BillR

Hamish Marson wrote:
I have a victorian semi-detatched with an old fireplace in the
downstairs lounge (AT rear of building). We want to put a new
fireplace & gas fire in there.

Does the installation require a new flue, or is the existing chimney
able to be used for the gas fire without any alterations? The chimney
itself is in he centre of the house, and serves all 4 rooms in the
main part of the house (2 on ground floor, 2 on 1st floor) and has 4x
separate chimney pots at the top indicating 4 separate flues (One to
each room).

Almost certainly it will need a liner.
An acquaintance of mine fitted expensive gas fire when refurbishing his
ground floor Vic London flat.
The first time he lit it the flats upstairs complained of fumes coming
through the chimney breasts into their flats.
Quote to fit liner (it will need a crane) are in excess of £2k ...

Owain

"The Natural Philosopher" wrote
| It is pretty much mandatory to line all flues these days for everything.
| If the property is pre 1567, you are allowd to use a flexible flue I
| think - check with buildng inspector.

I think you mean 1667 - the London Building Act following the Great Fire.

Owain

L Reid

"BillR" wrote in message
Hamish Marson wrote:
I have a victorian semi-detatched with an old fireplace in the
downstairs lounge (AT rear of building). We want to put a new
fireplace & gas fire in there.

Does the installation require a new flue, or is the existing chimney
able to be used for the gas fire without any alterations? The chimney
itself is in he centre of the house, and serves all 4 rooms in the
main part of the house (2 on ground floor, 2 on 1st floor) and has 4x
separate chimney pots at the top indicating 4 separate flues (One to
each room).

Almost certainly it will need a liner.
An acquaintance of mine fitted expensive gas fire when refurbishing his
ground floor Vic London flat.
The first time he lit it the flats upstairs complained of fumes coming
through the chimney breasts into their flats.
Quote to fit liner (it will need a crane) are in excess of £2k ...

Surely that's a class1 rather than class2?

Ed Sirett

BigWallop wrote:

"Hamish Marson" wrote in message

I have a victorian semi-detatched with an old fireplace in the
downstairs lounge (AT rear of building). We want to put a new
fireplace & gas fire in there.

Does the installation require a new flue, or is the existing chimney
able to be used for the gas fire without any alterations? The chimney
itself is in he centre of the house, and serves all 4 rooms in the
main part of the house (2 on ground floor, 2 on 1st floor) and has 4x
separate chimney pots at the top indicating 4 separate flues (One to
each room).

The installer is so far telling us it doesn't ned anything else done
to the existing chimney, but I'd rather be safe than sorry later...

On a property of this age, it is safer to have a liner pulled through the
exsiting chimney. Over the years gaps appear in the mortar and the
stonework moves, thsi can cause unseen opening into other rooms above the
one you're working on, so it's best to line the chimney and not take the
chance of allowing flue gases to escape anywhere else than the top of the
pipe. Kopex flexible flue is not to expensive for the safety it provides.

The cost of installing a liner is not the liner but gaining access to
the chimney pot.
For a fire a liner is not required but the chimney must certainly be
swept and tested.
It is likely that on a chimney of this age its condition might indicate
a liner even if it were to pass all the smoke tests.
If this chimney were be used for a back boiler the liner would be
mandatory.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk
The Natural Philosopher

Steve Firth wrote:

Tony Bryer wrote:

In article , The Natural Philosopher wrote:

If the property is pre 1567, you are allowd to use a flexible
flue I think - check with buildng inspector.

If it's pre-1567 TPTB won't let you do anything!

Err well... the LBO actually insisted that flue liners have to be fitted
in our building (1726) and to our neighbours which is 16thC but I'm not
sure exactly what date. So I think on balance they'd rather have a
non-original "feature" than risk the damage done to the structure by
flue gasses.

Red faced and stuttering apoligies the Natural Philosopher muttered
#
er...s/5/9/
:-)

The Natural Philosopher

From my bumper book of building regs

"The circumstances in which a flexible flue liner may be used in a
chimney are if:
- The liner is in accordance with BS 715: 1989 AND
- The chimney was built before 1 feb 1966 or is already lined or
constructed of flue blocks in accordance with teh apprived document"

Under certain circumstances if the chimney is lined with appropaite flue
blocks a liner is not necessary. I THINK.

You can get double insulated steel flue sections for later chimneys.
These are expensibve.

Inserting them can be even worse if the flue is not straight up and down.

Dodgy stacks and brickwork MUST be rectified befiore lining as it
dangerous to work around crumbling stacks.

Proper H & S adherence means usually the minumum of some scaffold
erection, or working off an elevated platform. Soem self emplyed guys
may rowrk of allders and use straps, but no self respecting company with
liability insurance dares take the risk.

Which makes teh cost anything from 200 to 2k to line a flue...

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamish Marson
I have a victorian semi-detatched with an old fireplace in the
downstairs lounge (AT rear of building). We want to put a new
fireplace & gas fire in there.

Does the installation require a new flue, or is the existing chimney
able to be used for the gas fire without any alterations? The chimney
itself is in he centre of the house, and serves all 4 rooms in the
main part of the house (2 on ground floor, 2 on 1st floor) and has 4x
separate chimney pots at the top indicating 4 separate flues (One to
each room).

The installer is so far telling us it doesn't ned anything else done
to the existing chimney, but I'd rather be safe than sorry later...

--

I don't suffer from Insanity... | Linux User #16396
I enjoy every minute of it... |

http://www.travellingkiwi.com/ |

Well i think that you should call Corgi for advise regards your chimney liner..Any gas engineer will tell you a standard brick chimney DOES NOT required a liner so long as it is in good condition ,,,meets the correct sizes,,,and passes the flue flow test....there are regulations that confuse non gas trained people///ive serviced tens of thousands of gas fires WITHOUT liners....If the smoke test proves a faulty Flue then i advise that a flue liner is required..
Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:47:42 +0000, gastec wrote:

Hamish Marson Wrote:
[...]

Thius is completely WRONG

Brick chimneys MUST be lined with

- socketed clay liners or
- imperforate clay pipes or
- socketed cement pipes. or
- fixed metal tubes or
= felxible liners for chimneys already equipped or built before 1966

This is a Building Regulation.

-
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Grimly Curmudgeon

drugs began to take hold. I remember The Natural Philosopher
saying something like:

Well i think that you should call Corgi for advise regards your chimney
liner..Any gas engineer will tell you a standard brick chimney DOES NOT
required a liner so long as it is in good condition ,,,meets the
correct sizes,,,and passes the flue flow test....there are regulations
that confuse non gas trained people///ive serviced tens of thousands of
gas fires WITHOUT liners....If the smoke test proves a faulty Flue then
i advise that a flue liner is required..

Thius is completely WRONG

Brick chimneys MUST be lined with

- socketed clay liners or
- imperforate clay pipes or
- socketed cement pipes. or
- fixed metal tubes or
= felxible liners for chimneys already equipped or built before 1966

This is a Building Regulation.

You mean....

Gasman is talking out of his arse?

Must be where his nick comes from.
--
Dave
GS850x2 SE6a
Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
[...]

To put things into context -

New chimneys must be built to meet building regs - no-one is arguing against
that

Old chimneys were not and may have worked just fine for many years. Fitting
a gas fire to a preused solid fuel flue which is swept prior to the
installation, inspected in good order and passes flue flow and after
installation passes no spillage test is permissible. If the old flue is not
in good order or does not pass the tests then a liner will be required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:06:44 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

[...]

No. Installing a gas fire comes under a 'material change' and is subject o
building control.

Building control specifies uprating old chimneys to something approaching
modern standards.

You and I know that this is probably totally uneccesary if the chimney
passed the tests you describe.

Nonetheless, in the building regulations, it is.

I don;t want to say more than that the building regulations are available
online,and the OP should check them. If he chooses to do the work outside
building regulations, that is his affair, but I think the facts of the
regulatory position should be stated, and to the very best of my knowledge
I have stated them correctly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
John

.. .
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 19:06:44 +0000 (UTC), John wrote:

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in
message
[...]

As I am now retired from such work I may be not up to date with very recent
gas reg requirements. Can Ed or someone else add anything here.
It seems pretty stupid if the gas ACS training and assessment courses are
pushing a situation which turns out to be at variance with building regs and
quite frankly Id be amazed if they are. Who or which is right here?

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ed Sirett

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:31:07 +0000, John wrote:

.. .
[...]

My understanding (based on having done my ACS reassessment this year) is
that there is no prohibition on using an existing swept Class I brick
chimney in good order as a gas flues.

There is a requirement to inform building control about the installation
of gas appliances and flues (possibly only heating appliances), however
CORGI members have access to a self certification scheme which allows them
to notify the installation of all gas appliances and flues and the removal
of boilers. Also several other notifiable work activities such as a single
electrical circuit, ventilation. Alas it does not include self
certification for unvented cylinders even if you hold a 'G3' card.

There are plenty of gas fires on the market which either require or permit
the use of a swept Class I chimney as a flue subject to satisfactory
inspection and testing.

In my experience a chimney can have as good a 'draw' on it as a liner if
not better.

I have been to a gas fire installation this year which had been subject
to an CORGI/HSE investigation following problems:

The defect list included:
No purpose provided ventilation.
Soldered gas pipe under burner (not permitted by makers for this model).
Manual damper not secured or removed (this was the 'hanging' offence).
Unsleeved supply pipe as it went through the wall.
Leaking supply pipe on restrictor elbow (this was the 'presenting' problem).

The above was perpetrated by an unregistered fireplace firm, no longer
trading.

No mention was made of the unsuitability of the existing chimney as a
flue.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

On Mon, 21 Nov 2005 20:08:12 +0000, Ed Sirett wrote:

[...]

The simple answer is to phone up the building control officer and ask his
advice.

However the regulations I have are fairly clear on this point.

And when I installed a wood burner and an aga in a brand new and perfectly
sound brick chimney, they required me to line both.