Removing chuck from Black & Decker drill?

Old April 11th 08, 02:16 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing chuck from Black & Decker drill?

These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Old April 11th 08, 02:21 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp wack with a hammer in the
anti clockwise direction

Old April 11th 08, 02:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Graz wrote:

These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Every B&D drill I've had has had a *right* hand thread on the chuck.
[Otherwise it would be in danger of coming loose when drilling in the normal
direction].

The best way of removing the chuck is to use the chuck key and a hammer.
Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

Do you have a handbook for the drill? If so, it almost certainly tells you
the same thing.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old April 11th 08, 02:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "George"
saying something like:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp wack with a hammer in the
anti clockwise direction

Remembering to first check there's not a crosshead left-hand threaded
screw down the bottom of the inside of the chuck.
If there is and you fail to spot it and you unscrew the chuck firmly
enough the screw will snap off.
DAMHIK, IJD, OK.
--

Dave
Old April 11th 08, 02:59 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:21:30 GMT, "George"
wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp wack with a hammer in the
anti clockwise direction

Ah, I tried that and only managed to bend the chuck key.

Old April 11th 08, 03:04 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Apr 2008 13:32:42 +0100, "Roger Mills"

Graz wrote:

These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Every B&D drill I've had has had a *right* hand thread on the chuck.
[Otherwise it would be in danger of coming loose when drilling in the normal
direction].

That makes sense. I was possibly thinking of the screw inside the
chuck (and this one doesn't have a screw).

The best way of removing the chuck is to use the chuck key and a hammer.
Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

Presumably with the chuck open as far as it will open?

Do you have a handbook for the drill? If so, it almost certainly tells you
the same thing.

Unfortunately, no handbook.

Old April 11th 08, 03:18 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

Put the chuck key in the chuck and give it a sharp wack with a hammer in the
anti clockwise direction

OK, please ignore earlier reply. I kept whacking it and it did
unscrew.

Old April 11th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

I found that after about 10 years of doing this to change
attachments, eventually the gearbox breaks (a splined shaft
stripped). Changing attachments on drills is rather a thing
of the past now though.

Presumably with the chuck open as far as it will open?

Doesn't make any difference -- you aren't putting any force
across the chuck openening/closing mechanism, i.e. you aren't
aiming to twist the chuck key, but rather to twist the chuck.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old April 11th 08, 07:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Apr 2008 13:19:18 GMT, (Andrew
Gabriel) wrote:

wrote:

Insert the key so that it is in a horizontal plane on the RHS when looking
from behind the drill (as per the illustration at
http://www.mtmc.co.uk/product.asp?co...yes&P_ID=19641) and give the
end of the key a sharp downward tap with the hammer. It should then unscrew
easily by hand.

I found that after about 10 years of doing this to change
attachments, eventually the gearbox breaks (a splined shaft
stripped). Changing attachments on drills is rather a thing
of the past now though.

Presumably with the chuck open as far as it will open?

Doesn't make any difference -- you aren't putting any force
across the chuck openening/closing mechanism, i.e. you aren't
aiming to twist the chuck key, but rather to twist the chuck.

I thought the idea was to have the chuck as far open as it would go
and then apply impact force to the chuck key in the direction of
opening the chuck, if you see what I mean. That's what worked for
me, anyway.

In any event, I was under the misguided impression that all Jacobs
chucks were alike. The one that came off the drill had a half-inch
threaded stub attached, the one I was hoping to replace it with
didn't.

Old April 11th 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Graz wrote:
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

Angle grinder.

Sorry, it was my turn :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman