Removing chuck from Black & Decker drill?

Old April 11th 08, 08:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing chuck from Black & Decker drill?

drugs began to take hold. I remember (Graz) saying
something like:

In any event, I was under the misguided impression that all Jacobs
chucks were alike. The one that came off the drill had a half-inch
threaded stub attached, the one I was hoping to replace it with
didn't.

See if the stub unscrews from the chuck.
--

Dave
Old April 12th 08, 05:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

TIA

When you have removed it as others advise, treat yourself to a new keyless
chuck. Preferably one of the 'click up' ones.
Wonderful invention!

Old April 12th 08, 06:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

spamlet wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

When you have removed it as others advise, treat yourself to a new keyless
chuck. Preferably one of the 'click up' ones.
Wonderful invention!

Got a link?
I changed my Bosch chuck a few months ago as the bits kept coming loose,
thinking the replacement Jacobs chuck at 35 would be better, but it
isnt.
Alan.

Old April 12th 08, 07:23 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"A.Lee" wrote in message
spamlet wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
These usually have LH threads don't they? Any suggestions for easy
removal of a chuck? It's a BD163V (550 Watt).

When you have removed it as others advise, treat yourself to a new
keyless
chuck. Preferably one of the 'click up' ones.
Wonderful invention!

Got a link?
I changed my Bosch chuck a few months ago as the bits kept coming loose,
thinking the replacement Jacobs chuck at 35 would be better, but it
isnt.
Alan.

Screwfix has them: they are more expensive than the ones with the black
fluted aluminium front piece, that don't seem to have the click locking
mechanism. Having said that, I have found the ordinary aluminium ones to be
OK except when you have the hammer setting on.

As for where to buy. Screwfix if you are in a hurry. If you have more
time, look in the cheapo tool shops, and even junk shops and skips. Loads
of people throw these things away with perfectly usable chucks on, and you
can build up quite a collection if you keep your eyes open.

I had been on the semi-lookout for a right angled chuck, for under the
floorboards, and recently picked up one in Dunstable Discount, for the
princely sum of 3.99 (Blue Spot 'Pro Series'). For that price it's
probably not going to last, but for the occasional DIY use it will be just
fine I'm sure. Even if the angle part of it packs up, I've still got a
spare chuck that is a big step up from any that needs a key, even if it does
come undone in hammering, because the key ones do that too - which is why
they are always chewed up by desperate attempts to tighten them!!

At Screwfix, this is a clicky one:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50008/...ess-Chuck-13mm

But if you click the link at this link, you will also see a number of
cheaper models, some said to be 'universal' and suitable for hammer. I
cannot vouch for these, as I have not had a look at them, but they will
probably all be a step up on a keyed chuck, for convenience if nothing else.

Hoping you will never again have to suffer the turn the garage upside down
looking for the key syndrome.

Cheers,

Old April 13th 08, 07:09 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Apr 2008 18:23:02 GMT, "spamlet"
wrote:

"A.Lee" wrote in message
. ..
spamlet wrote:

"Graz" wrote in message
[...]

Mine both have the key taped to the mains lead.

Old April 13th 08, 02:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"spamlet" writes:

I had been on the semi-lookout for a right angled chuck, for under the
floorboards, and recently picked up one in Dunstable Discount, for the
princely sum of 3.99 (Blue Spot 'Pro Series'). For that price it's
probably not going to last, but for the occasional DIY use it will be just
fine I'm sure. Even if the angle part of it packs up, I've still got a
spare chuck that is a big step up from any that needs a key, even if it does
come undone in hammering, because the key ones do that too - which is why
they are always chewed up by desperate attempts to tighten them!!

Thanks for the heads-up. I poped in and got one this morning when
going past. Not been in to that shop for about 20 years, as it was
all complete junk the first time I went in there. Warned the guy
on the till that he'd been mentioned on the Internnet and there
might be a rush! Also bought a tiny plastering trowel. Could have
done with both items two weeks ago.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Old April 14th 08, 04:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
"spamlet" writes:

[...]

I'm sure they will be glad of the publicity: it's hard to go in there, and
not come out with tons of stuff 'just in case'!

Graz: I found that the little rubber holders for chuck keys always failed
when you weren't looking, and that having one taped to the flex always
seemed to be in the wrong place and getting in the way. And it was always a
struggle to get the chuck tight enough with these anyway.

One further point: I should have noted that some chucks are male and some
female, and for my B&D I also needed to buy a little converter armor from
Screwfix. Be sure to check the thread sizes as well as the chuck sizes when
upgrading.

Cheers,