Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Baxi Bermuda Back Boiler and Fire Front Replacement

Hey guys,

The house I recently moved into currently has a Baxi Bermuda 552 back
boiler installed along with a monstrous outset fire front. Looking at
all the other fire fronts that are compatible with my model, I'm far
from inspired!

So, it seems I'm going to have to buy a new boiler along with a new
inset fire front (which are far more pleasing to the eye!) - expensive
job I can imagine?!?

Anyway, main question is, where do I get a new Baxi Bermuda boiler from?
I've employed my friend Google, but didn't appear to find anything of
much use. My local fireplace supplier also said they don't stock these
boilers.

I really don't want to go to the great expense of re-plumbing (having
re-plumbed) all the feeds and returns etc and fitting a new wall mounted
boiler (finding the space etc)

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

[...]

Back boilers of this kind are virtually extinct, 'cos the design makes it
pretty much impossible to meet current efficiency requirements.

You really need to bite the bullet and find an alternative location (with
ready access to an outside wall for the condensate drain) for a high
efficiency wall-mounted condensing boiler.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Steve wrote:

[...]

I'll second that. We had a Bermuda 552 with a GF3 outset fire front but the
boiler was kettling badly - to the point of having to turn the TV volume up
to ridiculous levels!!

Anyway, had a new Alpha CD32C condensing combi installed in the loft and
it's brilliant - *very* efficient and so costs a *lot* less to run than the
552.

We left the isolated back boiler in place so that we could continue to use
the fire until we do a refurb on that room in a year or two.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

SNIP

Anyway, had a new Alpha CD32C condensing combi installed in the loft and
it's brilliant - *very* efficient and so costs a *lot* less to run than the
552.

We left the isolated back boiler in place so that we could continue to use
the fire until we do a refurb on that room in a year or two.

John

Hmm, was afraid that was going to be the answer.

Out of curiosity John, what was involved with that....I guess it's
floors up throughout etc? How about cost? (If you don't mind me asking)

Thanks again guys,
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
John wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

SNIP

Anyway, had a new Alpha CD32C condensing combi installed in the loft
and it's brilliant - *very* efficient and so costs a *lot* less to
run than the 552.

We left the isolated back boiler in place so that we could continue
to use the fire until we do a refurb on that room in a year or two.

John

Hmm, was afraid that was going to be the answer.

Out of curiosity John, what was involved with that....I guess it's
floors up throughout etc? How about cost? (If you don't mind me
asking)

Don't mind you asking at all Steve )

Some people will call us daft for doing it this way but......

The existing pipework and radiators were an original install from when the
house was built, over 40 years ago. New rads are more efficient because they
have a greater surface area for letting out the heat, and also they aren't
full of 40-years-worth of crud. I know we could have had the system
powerflushed but I still think there might have been a bit of crud left
somewhere that could eventually dislodge and find its way into the brand new
boiler to wreack (sp?) untold damage - not to mention that the old stuff may
not cope with being pressurised and may have sprung leaks everywhere.

Also thrown into the mix is the fact that we are now both 50-years old and
can't see ourselves moving from here until we're carried out in the old
wooden boxes, so we decided to go the whole hog and have a complete new
system installed, so yes, you're right - floors up throughout, lots of mess
and upheaval - but once it's done, it's done. We actually had it done while
we were away for the week so missed all that )

This was about 2 years ago now and, IIRC, cost somewhere around £2,750 (in
Preston, Lancashire - not silly London prices ))

HTH,

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John wrote:
Steve wrote:
John wrote:
Roger Mills wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Just seconds after hitting "send", wife came home and said that it was
nearer the 3-grand mark.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
[...]

My mate has within the last year had a Baxi back bolier and front "real
flame" fireplace fitted no issues. Wasn't a modern condensing bolier as when
the instatller ticked all the boxes it would not have been easily possible
to fit a modern condensing boiler so a like for like was fitted. His boiler
was in the centre of the house, built out into the loung, with no access to
wall vent outlet and condensate drain. One solution considered was boiler in
a kitchen cupboard + massive replumbing, but as the kitchen is small and
only has 3 cupboards this was not acceptable + cost was over £3500.

Baxi state on their site

"However, where the installation of a condensing boiler would be impractical
or excessively costly, exceptions to the Building Regulations may apply. "

He got it all done for £2200 I think and works fine. I think he had to have
an air vent in the lounge modified as previous owners had redecorated over
it.