Using flexible hoses to gas water heater?

Old April 7th 08, 05:45 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using flexible hoses to gas water heater?

Hi All,

I'm replacing our own Main Avon multipoint water heater with a newer
Main Medway jobby.

Of course all three pipe connections (cold mains pressure water in,
hot mains pressure water out and gas in) are in different places. Doh!

So, I can either move them all in soldered copper, use compression
copper fittings or for the water at least use flexible tap connectors?
(Can they also be used for gas out of interest .. considering much
gas plumbing is in plastic these days (in the road at least!)) ;-)

Based on the fact we have the flexible connectors at the other end of
the system (on the sink, basin and bath) and they are obviously able
to do the job (heat and pressure) but are there any rules prohibiting
their use at the heater end, or does anyone have general thoughts re
using them for such please? FWIW I think I've seen them used to
connect a combi boiler but that doesn't mean such is 'good practice'?

All the best ..

T i m

Old April 7th 08, 07:00 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:45:32 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I'm replacing our own Main Avon multipoint water heater with a newer
Main Medway jobby.

So, I can either move them all in soldered copper, use compression
copper fittings or for the water at least use flexible tap connectors?
(Can they also be used for gas out of interest .. considering much
gas plumbing is in plastic these days (in the road at least!)) ;-)

They're absolutely prohibited for gas use. To be honest it really doesn't
sound as if you have the competence to do this job if you're asking
questions like this. I suggest you get in a qualified (i.e. CORGI) fitter
to ensure the gas pipework, ventilation and flueing are sound. They may be
happy for you to DIY non-gas parts of the work but if it were me I'd want
to be involved from the outset rather than asked to come in and sign off
someone else's work.

--
John Stumbles

Procrastinate now!
Old April 7th 08, 07:28 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 18:00:34 GMT, John Stumbles
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:45:32 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I'm replacing our own Main Avon multipoint water heater with a newer
Main Medway jobby.

So, I can either move them all in soldered copper, use compression
copper fittings or for the water at least use flexible tap connectors?
(Can they also be used for gas out of interest .. considering much
gas plumbing is in plastic these days (in the road at least!)) ;-)

They're absolutely prohibited for gas use.

Ok, thanks (I'd guessed as much) and why I phrased it like I did. But
fine for the water heater connectors though John? I was more unsure
about the flow rate but as they are already elsewhere in the system
I'm not sure it's that relevant? Are there some that offer less
resistance (for the same nominal connection size) would you know
please? The bottom line is final flow rate is probably more a function
of the heater stat than any pipework.

To be honest it really doesn't
sound as if you have the competence to do this job if you're asking
questions like this.

You are probably right. However I did re-plumb (water and gas) and
wire this house when I bought it ~30 years ago and it's all been ok so
far (could just be just luck I guess)? ;-)

I suggest you get in a qualified (i.e. CORGI) fitter

Yeah, I helped one of them bleed his radiator .. he'd been on it an
hour apparently! ;-)

to ensure the gas pipework, ventilation and flueing are sound.

It's my house and trust me, there is no one more keen to ensure all
those points are correct than I am. BTW, I've ordered a new flue and
case seal, just because.

They may be
happy for you to DIY non-gas parts of the work but if it were me I'd want
to be involved from the outset rather than asked to come in and sign off
someone else's work.

As it happens he will be here for all the key stages (he's just not
about today) .. like I said, I want it right .. ;-)

All the best ..

T i m

Old April 7th 08, 07:35 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 7 Apr, 19:00, John Stumbles wrote:
[...]

Out of interest, *why* are flexible water hoses absolutely prohibited
for gas connections? As Tim said, they can easily handle the pressure.
Except in the event of a fire, they could easily handle the
temperature too... Ah, perhaps I've just answered my own question...?
Jon.
Old April 7th 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 7 Apr 2008 11:35:07 -0700 (PDT), Tournifreak
wrote:

[...]

The plastic pipe bringing gas into my house (above ground) doesn't
look that special Jon?

I agree the fire thing is the most likely reason.

I was also half expecting a "yes you can but you have to use a
BS1234/Z fireproof one" as gear seems to move at such a rate these
days.

All the best ..

T i m

Old April 7th 08, 10:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:45:32 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I'm replacing our own Main Avon multipoint water heater with a newer
Main Medway jobby.

So, I can either move them all in soldered copper, use compression
copper fittings or for the water at least use flexible tap connectors?
(Can they also be used for gas out of interest .. considering much
gas plumbing is in plastic these days (in the road at least!)) ;-)

They're absolutely prohibited for gas use. To be honest it really doesn't
sound as if you have the competence to do this job if you're asking
questions like this.

I dunno, I wouldn't have known this when I was looking to install my
first boiler

--
geoff
Old April 7th 08, 10:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , T i m
writes
wrote:

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:45:32 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I'm replacing our own Main Avon multipoint water heater with a newer
Main Medway jobby.

So, I can either move them all in soldered copper, use compression
copper fittings or for the water at least use flexible tap connectors?
(Can they also be used for gas out of interest .. considering much
gas plumbing is in plastic these days (in the road at least!)) ;-)

They're absolutely prohibited for gas use.

Ok, thanks (I'd guessed as much) and why I phrased it like I did. But
fine for the water heater connectors though John? I was more unsure
about the flow rate but as they are already elsewhere in the system
I'm not sure it's that relevant? Are there some that offer less
resistance (for the same nominal connection size) would you know
please?

Personally, I'd just do a proper job and have done with it

Actually Ed can only be a few miles down the road from you if you want
your gas connection done and tested ...

--
geoff
Old April 7th 08, 10:47 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , geoff
writes
In message , John Stumbles
writes
On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 16:45:32 +0000, T i m wrote:

Hi All,

I'm replacing our own Main Avon multipoint water heater with a newer
Main Medway jobby.

So, I can either move them all in soldered copper, use compression
copper fittings or for the water at least use flexible tap connectors?
(Can they also be used for gas out of interest .. considering much
gas plumbing is in plastic these days (in the road at least!)) ;-)

They're absolutely prohibited for gas use. To be honest it really doesn't
sound as if you have the competence to do this job if you're asking
questions like this.

I dunno, I wouldn't have known this when I was looking to install my
first boiler

Which reminds me

when my brother moved into his last house, the gas cooker was connected
to the main via a bit of garden hose and a couple of jubilee clips

--
geoff
Old April 7th 08, 10:48 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 11:35:07 -0700, Tournifreak wrote:

Out of interest, *why* are flexible water hoses absolutely prohibited
for gas connections? As Tim said, they can easily handle the pressure.
Except in the event of a fire, they could easily handle the
temperature too... Ah, perhaps I've just answered my own question...?
Jon.

Because they're not approved for gas (specifically natural gas in this
case). *Any* fitting not approved for gas is prohibited. It's regulation
mumblesomething or other/mumble in the Gas Safety Installation & Use
Regs.

As for suitability for the purpose, garden hose would probably also do to
convey gas, but there are various possible failure modes which would
cause danger such as the material perishing over time or under the
influence of stuff in the gas, or heat etc. Basically the legal position is
a presumtion of un-safety unless proved and certified otherwise.

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance
Old April 8th 08, 12:13 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 07 Apr 2008 21:47:32 GMT, geoff wrote:

Personally, I'd just do a proper job and have done with it

As will I .. I was only asking out of interest.

Actually Ed can only be a few miles down the road from you if you want
your gas connection done and tested ...

Thanks for the suggestion Geoff but I have a CORGI guy on hand for all
the important bits. Plus the new flue and case seals won't be in till
Wednesday so there's no rush etc.

In fact it gives me time to move the water pipes about etc.

All the best ..

T i m