Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Emulsion shelf life?

I was given a 5L pot of Laura Ashley (no less) paint that's been opened
but almost full.

The can says 'use within 6 months of purchase' and indeed google
searches tend to repeat this. The paint is about 4 years old - as long
as it's taken me to get around to think about using it ;-)

What's the worst that can happen? I don't understand how paint can
degrade. Should I just chuck it and buy some more?

Thanks, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

Rob wrote:
I was given a 5L pot of Laura Ashley (no less) paint that's been opened
but almost full.

The can says 'use within 6 months of purchase' and indeed google
searches tend to repeat this. The paint is about 4 years old - as long
as it's taken me to get around to think about using it ;-)

What's the worst that can happen? I don't understand how paint can
degrade. Should I just chuck it and buy some more?

I have just been using up a huge pot of emulsion (Crown Brilliant White
Matt with pink stuff). Having been half used a few years ago (at least
2, maybe more), it did have a minor area of mould up the inside of the
container. I ignored that and used it. Works fine. (It has been kept
indoors so has never frozen. That can be a paint killer.)

Things to look out for include "bits" - maybe strain it? (I have
frequently read of people using tights/stockings for this purpose but I
have never done so myself.) Also, give it a very thorough stir. When
removing and replacing the lids I have often noticed lots of bits of
dried paint flaking off - so I cleaned the lid.

PS Be very careful with LA paint at the top of stairs.

--
Rod

onset.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Apr 3, 6:35 pm, Rob wrote:
I was given a 5L pot of Laura Ashley (no less) paint that's been opened
but almost full.

The can says 'use within 6 months of purchase' and indeed google
searches tend to repeat this. The paint is about 4 years old - as long
as it's taken me to get around to think about using it ;-)

What's the worst that can happen? I don't understand how paint can
degrade. Should I just chuck it and buy some more?

Thanks, Rob

I've touched up with paint thats older without any hassle but i've not
painted a full wall.

A painter advised me to always store cans of paint upside down as the
paint kept better. ( after properly resealing of course)

Fod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 3 Apr, 20:48, Rod wrote:

PS Be very careful with LA paint at the top of stairs.

Is this speaking from experience?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

wrote in message
On Apr 3, 6:35 pm, Rob wrote:
I was given a 5L pot of Laura Ashley (no less) paint that's been opened
but almost full.

The can says 'use within 6 months of purchase' and indeed google
searches tend to repeat this. The paint is about 4 years old - as long
as it's taken me to get around to think about using it ;-)

What's the worst that can happen? I don't understand how paint can
degrade. Should I just chuck it and buy some more?

Thanks, Rob

I've touched up with paint thats older without any hassle but i've not
painted a full wall.

I used an open-5-years white emulsion recently, no problem. Needed to scrape
off the sides of the tin, but it came away in two or three large
snot-consistency pieces.

A painter advised me to always store cans of paint upside down as the
paint kept better. ( after properly resealing of course)

I think that's so any degradation due to air in the tin then happens at the
bottom rather than the top. OK for paint you don't stir, not so good
otherwise?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"PM" writes:

wrote in message

A painter advised me to always store cans of paint upside down as the
paint kept better. ( after properly resealing of course)

I think that's so any degradation due to air in the tin then happens at the
bottom rather than the top. OK for paint you don't stir, not so good
otherwise?

I think it's because the tin lids don't reseal perfectly, and it
allows the solvent to evaporate and the paint to skin over slowly.
By storing the tin upside down, the paint is in contact with the
lid seal, so any small leaks cause the paint to set in the
leak and seal the tin. I store mine upside down when I remember
to, and they seem to keep forever. I did some touch-up with the
original 20 year old emulsion a couple of years ago (which I had
remembered to store upside down), and that worked fine.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

PM wrote:
wrote in message
On Apr 3, 6:35 pm, Rob wrote:
[...]

Many thanks - I'll use it after all.

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PM PM is offline

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

By storing the tin upside down, the paint is in contact with the
lid seal, so any small leaks cause the paint to set in the
leak and seal the tin.

Heh, I had a tin go rusty, the paint inside set and sealed it - until I
stirred it....
Wondered why the level was going down as I stirred :-(

Glue shelf life Chris Woodworking 5 April 29th 07 12:29 AM
BLO Shelf Life Russ Stanton Woodworking 2 January 9th 07 03:34 PM
Titebond Shelf Life Jerry Woodworking 4 May 19th 05 04:50 AM
Cement shelf life mike ring UK diy 27 March 29th 05 02:14 AM
Penetrating oil shelf life Norm Dion Home Repair 1 June 29th 04 02:42 AM