Posted to uk.d-i-y
oh oh is offline

Default Saw for chipboard floors etc.?

Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable of
cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are
22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Apr, 19:51, oh wrote:

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are
22mm, right?

19mm or 22mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

oh wrote:
Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable of
cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

Review here http://www.toolweb.co.uk/reviewexakt.html mind you this bloke
gives everything a great review, so I wouldn't take much notice of him,
probably paid to say nice things.

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are
22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!

Standard chipboard flooring is 18mm, so this wouldn't work. Use a circular
saw that has a removeable riving knife or a Fein Multimaster/Bosch PMF 180
multi tool.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

oh wrote:

Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable of
cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are
22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!

I think they're about 18mm - but more than 12 anyway, so that tool won't do.

Why not just use a circular saw - if you don't have one you can buy one for
less than the tool you cite.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"oh" wrote in message
Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable of
cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are
22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!

Buy a cordless circular saw then you can cut most depths in wood.
Also you can set the depth on the saw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"oh" wrote in message
Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable
of cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are
22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!

Buy a cordless circular saw then you can cut most depths in wood.
Also you can set the depth on the saw.

You need to spend a lot of money to get a decent cordless circular saw,
better off with mains IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:04:04 GMT, "The Medway Handyman"
wrote:

oh wrote:
Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable of
cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

Review here http://www.toolweb.co.uk/reviewexakt.html mind you this bloke
gives everything a great review, so I wouldn't take much notice of him,
probably paid to say nice things.

I've had one for a couple of years and it has been very good as long
as you accept its limitations. I've cut everything from ceramic tiling
and aluminium trim (burr free with a TCT blade) to all manner of
hardwoods. You _have_ to use extraction as the blade is fully enclosed
and clogs unless the waste is extracted. The build quality IMO is very
good indeed and it has one thing most power tools lack, a nice long
cable.

It's a niche tool and probably the Fein Multimaster can do everything
this little saw can but I wouldn't part with mine even after I buy the
Fein kit.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"The Medway Handyman" wrote in message
.. .
George wrote:
"oh" wrote in message
Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable
of cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are
22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!

Buy a cordless circular saw then you can cut most depths in wood.
Also you can set the depth on the saw.

You need to spend a lot of money to get a decent cordless circular saw,
better off with mains IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Oh I dont know if you're willing to import from the states you can pick one
up for £68 with P&P less the battery of course. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:51:28 +0100, oh wrote:

Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable of
cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors are
22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!

==================================
If you mean for cutting and laying flooring then a basic corded circular
saw is adequate. Look at www.machinemart.co.uk for ideas. If you want to
cut access holes in an existing floor then a jigsaw (with pre-drilled hole
for blade) will do.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

Well why not screwfix? Machinemart is quite expensive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Damn forgot the link

http://tinyurl.com/37mjmm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 20:36:26 +0000, George wrote:

"Cicero" wrote in message
news
[...]

No particular reason (not to use Screwfix) - just for the general idea, as
I said. There's no shortage of circular saws, but the tool about which the
OP enquired would seem to totally unsuitable for the kind of job he is
planning, and that's why I referred him to a well-known catalogue.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

George wrote:
"oh" wrote in message
Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable
of cutting flooring chipboard?

http://www.jmldirect.com/Exakt-Saw-PE2299/

It only cuts up to 12mm and I think the standard chipboard floors
are 22mm, right?

Thanks in advance!

Buy a cordless circular saw then you can cut most depths in wood.
Also you can set the depth on the saw.

You need to spend a lot of money to get a decent cordless circular
saw, better off with mains IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk
01634 717930
07850 597257

Oh I dont know if you're willing to import from the states you can
pick one up for £68 with P&P less the battery of course. :-)

At £50 + £70 for the charger.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

No particular reason (not to use Screwfix) - just for the general
idea, as I said. There's no shortage of circular saws, but the tool
about which the OP enquired would seem to totally unsuitable for the
kind of job he is planning, and that's why I referred him to a
well-known catalogue.

Screwfix is the new 'Bucks Book'. I recall being in the tool trade years
ago & customers used the Buck & Hickman catalouge as a reference point.
Didn't always buy from Bucks mind.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:51:28 +0100, oh wrote:

Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable of
cutting flooring chipboard?

A jigsaw. Take off the shoe and hold the machine so the blade is as close
to parallel to the floor as possible and cut carefully down into the wood.
Once you're through you can put the shoe back on and cut normally
provided there's nothing below (a bit hard to know without X-ray specs
in most cases though). You can cut right up to a wall (which you can't with
a circular saw) and even cut through floorboards halfway across a joist.

--
John Stumbles

Bob the builder / it'll cost 'yer
Bob the builder / loadsa dosh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 2 Apr 2008 20:48:51 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

Why not just use a circular saw - if you don't have one you can buy one
for less than the tool you cite.

And it doesn't need to be a top class one for doing chipwood floor boards
either. Indeed a cheapy that you won't feel miffed about wearing out due
to the abrasive nature of chipboard dust is probably not a bad idea, make
sure that it takes standard blades as well for the same reason.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 21:24:37 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Cicero wrote:

No particular reason (not to use Screwfix) - just for the general
idea, as I said. There's no shortage of circular saws, but the tool
about which the OP enquired would seem to totally unsuitable for the
kind of job he is planning, and that's why I referred him to a
well-known catalogue.

Screwfix is the new 'Bucks Book'. I recall being in the tool trade years
ago & customers used the Buck & Hickman catalouge as a reference point.
Didn't always buy from Bucks mind.

===================================
I didn't mean to imply that Machine Mart is some kind of standard against
which others are measured, merely that it offers a wide range of typical
products, as do others such as Screwfix, Toolstation etc. The fact is that
we're spoiled for choice for most products and almost any major catalogue
will have a range to suit most pockets / requirements.

I notice that Toolstation's new catalogue (arrived this morning) is now A5
size, presumably to compete with Screwfix for a place in the back pocket.

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:51:28 +0100, oh wrote:

Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable
of cutting flooring chipboard?

A jigsaw. Take off the shoe and hold the machine so the blade is as
close to parallel to the floor as possible and cut carefully down into
the wood. Once you're through you can put the shoe back on and cut
normally provided there's nothing below (a bit hard to know without
X-ray specs in most cases though). You can cut right up to a wall
(which you can't with a circular saw) and even cut through floorboards
halfway across a joist.

I think you missed out the bit about snapping off the jigsaw blade so it
does not exceed the thickness of the chipboard. Better to be safe than
sorry, and avoid chopping through a water pipe.

Geoff Beale

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:31:59 +0100, gb wrote:

I think you missed out the bit about snapping off the jigsaw blade so it
does not exceed the thickness of the chipboard. Better to be safe than
sorry, and avoid chopping through a water pipe.

I said "provided there's nothing below". Otherwise cut with the blade
horizontal-ish.

--
John Stumbles

Bob the builder / it'll cost 'yer
Bob the builder / loadsa dosh
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:31:59 +0100, wrote:

John Stumbles wrote:

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 19:51:28 +0100, oh wrote:

Hi all,

does anyone know about any powertools like this one, that's capable
of cutting flooring chipboard?

A jigsaw. Take off the shoe and hold the machine so the blade is as
close to parallel to the floor as possible and cut carefully down into
the wood. Once you're through you can put the shoe back on and cut
normally provided there's nothing below (a bit hard to know without
X-ray specs in most cases though). You can cut right up to a wall
(which you can't with a circular saw) and even cut through floorboards
halfway across a joist.

I think you missed out the bit about snapping off the jigsaw blade so it
does not exceed the thickness of the chipboard. Better to be safe than
sorry, and avoid chopping through a water pipe.

Once upon a time I had a manually operated 'circular' saw designed
especially for cutting through floorboards. It consisted of a circular
blade attached to a handle (so that only some 90 deg or so of the
blade could cut) mounted in a base upon which you knelt to apply
pressure upon the floorboard. A setscrew sort of device limited the
cutting depth.
Of course the blade could be reset when it got blunt to present a
fresh set of teeth to the work.
Pretty slow, but very useful, and being manual it was environmentally
friendly. It's a shame that everybody seems to insist on power tools
these days.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article et,
"Dave Liquorice" wrote:

Machine Mart also has real shops in many towns. Yes, Screwfix has a few
trade counters but they are very thin on the ground by comparision.

According to their websites:

MachineMart 53 branches
Screwfix 110 branches
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:01:22 GMT, Cicero wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that Machine Mart is some kind of standard
against which others are measured, merely that it offers a wide range of
typical products, as do others such as Screwfix, Toolstation etc.

Machine Mart also has real shops in many towns. Yes, Screwfix has a few
trade counters but they are very thin on the ground by comparision. Can
you handle the goods at a screwfix trade counter like you can in Machine
Mart or a shed?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 22:01:22 GMT, Cicero wrote:

I didn't mean to imply that Machine Mart is some kind of standard
against which others are measured, merely that it offers a wide range of
typical products, as do others such as Screwfix, Toolstation etc.

Machine Mart also has real shops in many towns. Yes, Screwfix has a few
trade counters but they are very thin on the ground by comparision. Can
you handle the goods at a screwfix trade counter like you can in Machine
Mart or a shed?

I think you'll find that there are now *more* Screwfix trade counters
than there are Machine Mart shops, Screwfix have expanded their trade
counters very rapidly over the past couple of years.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 02 Apr 2008 23:33:48 GMT, mike wrote:

Machine Mart also has real shops in many towns. Yes, Screwfix has a few
trade counters but they are very thin on the ground by comparision.

According to their websites:

MachineMart 53 branches
Screwfix 110 branches

OK... maybe I should have added the rider "thin on the ground round here"
B-) The SF counter distribution must be very uneven.

The nearest SF is Gateshead, MM have a branch in Carlisle. Why have SF
branches in Gateshead and North Shields and Sunderland (all within 15
miles of each other) when to the north up to Edinburgh and the entire
other side of the country from Glasgow down to Lancaster (160 miles) has
none?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Frank Erskine" wrote in message
:

Once upon a time I had a manually operated 'circular' saw designed
especially for cutting through floorboards. It consisted of a circular
blade attached to a handle (so that only some 90 deg or so of the
blade could cut) mounted in a base upon which you knelt to apply
pressure upon the floorboard. A setscrew sort of device limited the
cutting depth.
Of course the blade could be reset when it got blunt to present a
fresh set of teeth to the work.
Pretty slow, but very useful, and being manual it was environmentally
friendly. It's a shame that everybody seems to insist on power tools
these days.

Frank Erskine

Ive still got and sometimes still use mine
http://i28.tinypic.com/2gx4nfa.jpg
it was the main tool I used for years for taking up floorboards

-

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message

[...]

Ah! the crimean surgeons leg remover saw

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
oh wrote:
[...]

While I accept that this may well be a well engineered piece of kit,
entirely suited to the things it is designed for, I do like the web-
site hype:
"No job is too big" ... apart from those that need more than 12mm
depth of cut!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
oh oh is offline

Default Thanks all! [ Saw for chipboard floors etc.?]

Thanks all! Well I've used the drill+tilted jigsaw trick and I have a
corded circular saw but I ended up with a few bent/broken jigsaw blades,
a cut phone cable and far too much sawdust for anyone to be happy,
particularly when it comes to lacking x-ray vision, lottery luck and all
that...

Never heard of the Fein before but I looked it up on the web and lo and
behold, once the wife saw a youtube clip of a US woman try (and fail) to
cut her own hands ("as seen on TV!") she said "even I could use that!"
So I took that as authorization to order the "Fein Multimaster TOP" :-)
.. Not received it yet though, and wife doesn't know yet...!

So looks like the circular for the long floor cuts, and the Fein for the
short runs. Stay tuned...