Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Closing cavity end.

Hi, My conservatory project is finally making progress. Underfloor
heating is down (presurised, but not connected, until the screed is fully
dried). Windowsill boards are on.

I'm not sure how to neatly close off the end of the cavity (as you can see
I am using unfinished brick).

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2097/dsc01660mq1.jpg

Any suggestions?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
Hi, My conservatory project is finally making progress. Underfloor
heating is down (presurised, but not connected, until the screed is
fully dried). Windowsill boards are on.

I'm not sure how to neatly close off the end of the cavity (as you can
see I am using unfinished brick).

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2097/dsc01660mq1.jpg

Any suggestions?

Just mortar in pieces of brick, cut to size, into the gap; ideally with
a vertical strip of DPC within the cavity against the external leaf of
the wall (so you'd *just* see the edge of the DPC protruding much as you
can along the base of the wall).

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
news
Hi, My conservatory project is finally making progress. Underfloor
heating is down (presurised, but not connected, until the screed is fully
dried). Windowsill boards are on.

I'm not sure how to neatly close off the end of the cavity (as you can see
I am using unfinished brick).

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2097/dsc01660mq1.jpg

Any suggestions?

There are special closers. they are Tee shaped with insulation. The
insulation fits in the cavity and one outer strip is nail into the brick
joint and the other is trapped behind the frame of the jambof the door or
window

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:18:13 -0000, keith_765 wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
news
Hi, My conservatory project is finally making progress. Underfloor
heating is down (presurised, but not connected, until the screed is
fully
dried). Windowsill boards are on.

I'm not sure how to neatly close off the end of the cavity (as you can
see
I am using unfinished brick).

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2097/dsc01660mq1.jpg

Any suggestions?

There are special closers. they are Tee shaped with insulation. The
insulation fits in the cavity and one outer strip is nail into the brick
joint and the other is trapped behind the frame of the jambof the door or
window

Do you know who sells them online, or what they are called? Would like to
look at one, as it sounds just the ticket.

Thanks,.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:54:53 +0000, Mark wrote:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:18:13 -0000, keith_765 wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
news
Hi, My conservatory project is finally making progress. Underfloor
heating is down (presurised, but not connected, until the screed is
fully
dried). Windowsill boards are on.

I'm not sure how to neatly close off the end of the cavity (as you can
see
I am using unfinished brick).

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2097/dsc01660mq1.jpg

Any suggestions?

There are special closers. they are Tee shaped with insulation. The
insulation fits in the cavity and one outer strip is nail into the brick
joint and the other is trapped behind the frame of the jambof the door or
window

Do you know who sells them online, or what they are called? Would like to
look at one, as it sounds just the ticket.

Thanks,.

=================================
This is one version (cavity closer):

http://tinyurl.com/2h6sj7

Cic.
--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 14:18:13 -0000, keith_765 wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
news
Hi, My conservatory project is finally making progress. Underfloor
heating is down (presurised, but not connected, until the screed is
fully
dried). Windowsill boards are on.

I'm not sure how to neatly close off the end of the cavity (as you can
see
I am using unfinished brick).

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/2097/dsc01660mq1.jpg

Any suggestions?

There are special closers. they are Tee shaped with insulation. The
insulation fits in the cavity and one outer strip is nail into the brick
joint and the other is trapped behind the frame of the jambof the door or
window

Do you know who sells them online, or what they are called? Would like to
look at one, as it sounds just the ticket.

Thanks,.

Cavity closers. All builders merchant sell them but don't know if they sell
in packs or singles. I see from the other mail that Screw fix sell them,
with postal charges could be expensive.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:44:09 -0000, keith_765 wrote:

Cavity closers. All builders merchant sell them but don't know if they
sell
in packs or singles. I see from the other mail that Screw fix sell them,
with postal charges could be expensive.

Just wondering what they do, that a couple of squirts of expanding foam in
there doesn't do. I was more asking about how to finish it off
aesthetically, rather than from a thermal/damp point of view.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:15:53 -0000, Mark wrote:

Just wondering what they do, that a couple of squirts of expanding foam in
there doesn't do. I was more asking about how to finish it off
aesthetically, rather than from a thermal/damp point of view.

Can't really tell from your pic, but is there edge insulation on the
screed?

Martyn

--
Geosolar, Cambridge. Gas central heating installations.
High quality ATAG boilers www.geosolar.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 22:44:02 -0000, Martyn Pollard
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 19:15:53 -0000, Mark wrote:

Just wondering what they do, that a couple of squirts of expanding foam
in
there doesn't do. I was more asking about how to finish it off
aesthetically, rather than from a thermal/damp point of view.

Can't really tell from your pic, but is there edge insulation on the
screed?

Martyn

Yes there is, it's been trimmed down flush ready for tiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
On Sat, 22 Mar 2008 16:44:09 -0000, keith_765 wrote:

Cavity closers. All builders merchant sell them but don't know if they
sell
in packs or singles. I see from the other mail that Screw fix sell them,
with postal charges could be expensive.

Just wondering what they do, that a couple of squirts of expanding foam
in there doesn't do. I was more asking about how to finish it off
aesthetically, rather than from a thermal/damp point of view.

My original solution was based on the requirement for aesthetics, as
you'd said you were leaving the brickwork exposed - you wouldn't use a
cavity closer unless you were plastering over.

David

closing cavity under door threshold sm_jamieson UK diy 1 December 6th 07 06:06 PM
Cavity closing in the early 60's - Anyone had experiences? Cordless Crazy UK diy 2 February 28th 06 05:21 PM
Closing the cavity freddyuk UK diy 1 January 31st 06 12:12 PM
thermabate cavity closers vs weatherbate cavity closers tom patton UK diy 0 April 10th 05 10:59 AM
pre closing fees??? Nada Home Ownership 4 October 27th 04 05:59 AM