Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Documentation following a boiler installation

Hi, does anyone know what documentation should be provided following a
plumber fitting a boiler, and if the plumber is not corgi registered
but in training, should their 'mentor' oversee the work?
Thank you
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
nafuk writes:
Hi, does anyone know what documentation should be provided following a
plumber fitting a boiler, and if the plumber is not corgi registered

By law, you must be left all the installation, servicing, and user
instructions which the manufacturer provides with the boiler.

You should also be left the Benchmark commisioning and service
record, filled in for the installation and commissoning.

Don't know about the Part L bits and pieces -- I deliberately did
mine just before that came in.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
nafuk writes:
Hi, does anyone know what documentation should be provided following a
plumber fitting a boiler, and if the plumber is not corgi registered

By law, you must be left all the installation, servicing, and user
instructions which the manufacturer provides with the boiler.

You should also be left the Benchmark commisioning and service
record, filled in for the installation and commissoning.

In addition, the fitter has to register the installation with CORGI, who
in turn notify Building Control, and you get a letter back confirming
that this has been done. This is the step to watch for, as it costs the
fitter cash to do the registration, so it's not exactly in his interest
to do it if the punter isn't bothered about it.

but in training, should their 'mentor' oversee the work?

Well, the 'mentor' has to satisfy himself that the work has been done
properly, as it's his head on the CORGI block if there's a problem with
the installation. I don't know what 'rules' there are about the level
of supervision.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Lobster writes:
In addition, the fitter has to register the installation with CORGI, who
in turn notify Building Control, and you get a letter back confirming
that this has been done. This is the step to watch for, as it costs the
fitter cash to do the registration, so it's not exactly in his interest
to do it if the punter isn't bothered about it.

A fitter I know charges £100 for the registration. If the work
is part of other building work, it's cheaper to have it included
on that instead. I haven't asked him, but I suspect some punters
genuinely couldn't care less about the BCO paperwork either.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:
In addition, the fitter has to register the installation with CORGI, who
in turn notify Building Control, and you get a letter back confirming
that this has been done. This is the step to watch for, as it costs the
fitter cash to do the registration, so it's not exactly in his interest
to do it if the punter isn't bothered about it.

A fitter I know charges £100 for the registration. If the work
is part of other building work, it's cheaper to have it included
on that instead. I haven't asked him, but I suspect some punters
genuinely couldn't care less about the BCO paperwork either.

Wow - don't know what the real cost is but that sounds like an eff-off
price to me. Yes, I suppose if the fitter gives a price up front for
with/without registration, then it's fair enough if it doesn't happen if
the customer isn't fussed; however if it's not even been mentioned then
I'd expect it to be done by default.

That being said, personally I'd certainly make clear to the Corgi at the
outset that I would be wantimg the registration, just so all
expectations are met.

David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 01:21:50 +0000, Andrew Gabriel wrote:

In article ,
Lobster writes:
In addition, the fitter has to register the installation with CORGI,
who in turn notify Building Control, and you get a letter back
confirming that this has been done. This is the step to watch for, as
it costs the fitter cash to do the registration, so it's not exactly in
his interest to do it if the punter isn't bothered about it.

A fitter I know charges £100 for the registration. If the work is part
of other building work, it's cheaper to have it included on that
instead. I haven't asked him, but I suspect some punters genuinely
couldn't care less about the BCO paperwork either.

That's a good mark up as it costs £2.50 online to register the work per
property. (i.e if you also do electric and controls and cylinder(s) at
the same time then it's still £2.50).
I just register them anyway whether the customer wants to or not. A
steady stream of registrations seems to keep the CORGI inspector at bay
and chasing the others. 8-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster writes:
[...]

Not knowing what's involved, how long does it take you to do, out of
interest? My Corgi was whinging about all the extra paperwork he had to
do because of it; and presumably that's why AG's quotes 100 notes to do it.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Lobster" wrote in message
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Lobster writes:
In addition, the fitter has to register the installation with CORGI, who
in turn notify Building Control, and you get a letter back confirming
that this has been done. This is the step to watch for, as it costs the
fitter cash to do the registration, so it's not exactly in his interest
to do it if the punter isn't bothered about it.

A fitter I know charges £100 for the registration. If the work
is part of other building work, it's cheaper to have it included
on that instead. I haven't asked him, but I suspect some punters
genuinely couldn't care less about the BCO paperwork either.

Wow - don't know what the real cost is but that sounds like an eff-off
price to me.

The real cost is not the notification charge but the VAT and income tax bill
the plumber will get. If the plumber "hides" several installs each year
using cash payers but then registers all the boilers he has installed it
will show up when the Inland Revenue decides to have a look.

There are the usual work arounds to get the boiler registered (with a little
VAT paid) and they are well known in the trade.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster writes:
[...]

The actual notification online takes about 10 minutes, enter the post
code, house number, customer name, removed boiler, new stuff and press
the button.

However that fact that you have put the job 'above the parapet' means
that everything else is now up for checking, which means the job may have
to pass inspection and all the other paperwork (eg. commissioning log
book etc.) will have to be in order and that does take time to do the
required tests.

OTOH those test and paperwork are part of a 'good job'.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster writes:
[...]

So even if the customer isn't fussed about getting the piece of paper,
it's probably still worth insisting upon it as there's less chance of
getting an iffy job done - which stands to reason, really.

David