Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Induction hob - not above oven?

A client asked me about fitting a new hob and oven in their kitchen.
They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it shouldn't
be installed above an oven. Anyone have any idea why not?

(They're getting back to the suppliers - John Lewis - to ask why, but I
said I'd ask the oracle :-))

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Stumbles wrote:
A client asked me about fitting a new hob and oven in their kitchen.
They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it shouldn't
be installed above an oven. Anyone have any idea why not?

(They're getting back to the suppliers - John Lewis - to ask why, but I
said I'd ask the oracle :-))

I think it depends on the design of the hob. We fitted ours (DeDietrich)
above the oven without problems, but there were no warnings in the
manual about it.

--
Grunff
Radioactive Keyrings!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

said I'd ask the oracle :-))

--
John Stumbles

I can't stand intolerance

Probably the electronics in the hob don't like the heat.

May be possible to make a baffle from masterboard/cement board...?

cheers,
Pete.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Pete C wrote:

They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it
shouldn't be installed above an oven.

Probably the electronics in the hob don't like the heat.

Possibly. Or the design of the hob is that significant magnetic flux leaks
out underneath and will heat the metal work of the oven just like it heats
the pans on top...

May be possible to make a baffle from masterboard/cement board...?

Wouldn't have much affect on a magnetic field...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 20, 8:53*pm, "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Pete C wrote:
They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it
shouldn't be installed above an oven.

Probably the electronics in the hob don't like the heat.

Possibly. Or the design of the hob is that significant magnetic flux leaks
out underneath and will heat the metal work of the oven just like it heats
the pans on top...

Doubt it, otherwise the hob would cook itself ))

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 16:58:41 -0700 (PDT), Pete C wrote:

Possibly. Or the design of the hob is that significant magnetic flux
leaks out underneath and will heat the metal work of the oven just like
it heats the pans on top...

Doubt it, otherwise the hob would cook itself ))

Good point... but of the construction of the hob could be such that there
are no circuits for the induced currents to flow in.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Pete C wrote:

They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it
shouldn't be installed above an oven.

Probably the electronics in the hob don't like the heat.

Possibly. Or the design of the hob is that significant magnetic flux leaks
out underneath and will heat the metal work of the oven just like it heats
the pans on top...

Best not store saucepans or tins of beans in the cupboard underneath it
then?

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 21, 7:31*pm, Pete Verdon
d wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Pete C wrote:
They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it
shouldn't be installed above an oven.
Probably the electronics in the hob don't like the heat.

Possibly. Or the design of the hob is that significant magnetic flux leaks
out underneath and will heat the metal work of the oven just like it heats
the pans on top...

Best not store saucepans or tins of beans in the cupboard underneath it
then?

Immediately below ours we store only wooden chopping boards etc. We
were advised against storing anything metal in there.

Will.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Will wrote:
On Mar 21, 7:31 pm, Pete Verdon
d wrote:
Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 12:58:35 -0700 (PDT), Pete C wrote:
They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it
shouldn't be installed above an oven.
Probably the electronics in the hob don't like the heat.
Possibly. Or the design of the hob is that significant magnetic flux leaks
out underneath and will heat the metal work of the oven just like it heats
the pans on top...

Best not store saucepans or tins of beans in the cupboard underneath it
then?

Immediately below ours we store only wooden chopping boards etc. We
were advised against storing anything metal in there.

Beware. These Induction Hobs can cause navigation problems for overhead
flying saucers. Best check the small print of your household buildings &
contents insurance just to be on the safe side just in case you get
framed for the cost of someone travelling to alpha centauri to apologise
to the young alien's parents...

Oh, hang on - can you look into this pen shaped neuralizer thingy?

Click

Thanks ;-)

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Stumbles" wrote in message
A client asked me about fitting a new hob and oven in their kitchen.
They'd been considering an induction hob but were told that it shouldn't
be installed above an oven. Anyone have any idea why not?

(They're getting back to the suppliers - John Lewis - to ask why, but I
said I'd ask the oracle :-))

It's because of heat. The NEFF induction hob we have warns that it must be
installed with air gap underneath, drawer etc all fine and but no heat
sources ie oven. I think there is a fan on the hob to remove excess heat, if
necessary, never heard it go, but the draw contents (wood, metal, plastic)
do get slightly warm after a while due to the warm air escaping out.