What is a mono pitched roof?

Old March 11th 08, 09:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is a mono pitched roof?

I've been trying to understand what a mono pitched roof is as I've
seen this in a number planning applications?

Is this another term for a 'lean to' roof?

At present I have planning permission for a flat roof extension
however I am considering changing this to a pitched roof. Is there a
minimum slope (angle) for a pitched tiled roof?

Thanks
Old March 11th 08, 10:33 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Farouq wrote:
I've been trying to understand what a mono pitched roof is as I've
seen this in a number planning applications?

'Mono' signifys 'one'. So I'd say it had one pitch instead of two.

Is this another term for a 'lean to' roof?

Thats my guess.

At present I have planning permission for a flat roof extension
however I am considering changing this to a pitched roof. Is there a
minimum slope (angle) for a pitched tiled roof?

Building control at your local authority would tell you. Maybe on their
website.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Old March 11th 08, 11:02 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:41:26 -0700, Farouq wrote:

I've been trying to understand what a mono pitched roof is as I've seen
this in a number planning applications?

Is this another term for a 'lean to' roof?

At present I have planning permission for a flat roof extension however
I am considering changing this to a pitched roof. Is there a minimum
slope (angle) for a pitched tiled roof?

Thanks

==================================
Not necessarily 'lean-to' (leaning against a wall) but a single slope:

http://tinyurl.com/29bpqe

When I needed information about pitch angle some years ago it appeared to
vary from one place to another depending on local conditions. Your local
building inspector will tell you what is an acceptable pitch in your area.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Old March 11th 08, 11:39 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Farouq wrote:
I've been trying to understand what a mono pitched roof is as I've
seen this in a number planning

A Mono-Pitched roof only has a single sloped surface.

Is this another term for a 'lean to' roof?

Yes - but a lean-to roof usually abuts a wall and is part of an outhouse or
extension. A Mono-Pitch forms the main roof to a house.

At present I have planning permission for a flat roof extension
however I am considering changing this to a pitched roof. Is there a
minimum slope (angle) for a pitched tiled roof?

Using the correct tile (I forget the name at the moment) you can go as low
as a10 degree pitch but the normal pitch is around 25 - 30 or so degrees.

Hope this helps

BRG

Old March 11th 08, 11:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Farouq" wrote in message

At present I have planning permission for a flat roof extension
however I am considering changing this to a pitched roof. Is there a
minimum slope (angle) for a pitched tiled roof?

Yes.. it depends on the type of tile.. consult the manufacturers data.

Old March 12th 08, 12:27 AM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 22:39, "BRG" wrote:
Farouq wrote:
I've been trying to understand what a mono pitched roof is as I've
seen this in a number planning

A Mono-Pitched roof only has a single sloped surface.

Is this another term for a 'lean to' roof?

Yes - but a lean-to roof usually abuts a wall and is part of an outhouse or
extension. A Mono-Pitch forms the main roof to a house.

At present I have planning permission for a flat roof extension
however I am considering changing this to a pitched roof. Is there a
minimum slope (angle) for a pitched tiled roof?

Using the correct tile (I forget the name at the moment) you can go as low
as a10 degree pitch but the normal pitch is around 25 - 30 or so degrees.

Hope this helps

BRG

My plans have redland regent tiles spec'd for 12.5 degrees. They need
a greater
overlap than standard at that pitch.
Simon.

roof questions (flat and pitched) nospam[_2_] UK diy 0 September 17th 07 11:00 AM
Walking on a pitched roof Steve Home Repair 25 March 29th 07 06:18 PM
Pitched roof Bolted UK diy 3 April 1st 05 01:05 AM
"Can" Vents Acceptable on Low-Pitched Roof? [email protected] Home Repair 1 March 28th 05 02:16 PM
Pitched roof angle Peter Crosland UK diy 14 September 12th 03 10:34 PM