Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How prepare sweaty/oily bedroom wall for painting?

I'm going to paint the walls in a bedroom.

One wall has got a large discoloured patch above the bed which looks as
if it's made up of something like sweat, hair oil, etc.

I would have used Sugar Soap to clean this wall but I heard that Sugar
Soap would probably cause lifting of the wallpaper which is under the
existing emulsion paint. Is this true?

Is there an alternative cleaner to Sugar Soap which I can use to
degrease this wall?

Or would I get away with a VERY light Sugar Soaping of the wall using
little water and little rinsing.

Thanks!
John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 11:14:30 +0000, John wrote:

I'm going to paint the walls in a bedroom.

One wall has got a large discoloured patch above the bed which looks as
if it's made up of something like sweat, hair oil, etc.

I would have used Sugar Soap to clean this wall but I heard that Sugar
Soap would probably cause lifting of the wallpaper which is under the
existing emulsion paint. Is this true?

Is there an alternative cleaner to Sugar Soap which I can use to
degrease this wall?

Or would I get away with a VERY light Sugar Soaping of the wall using
little water and little rinsing.

Thanks!
John

==================================
Try a dry solution; a warm domestic iron over a piece of thin paper. This
works for removing oily / greasy stains from clothing so it will probably
remove most if not all of the offending stain.

Cic.

--
===================================
Using Ubuntu Linux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
I'm going to paint the walls in a bedroom.

One wall has got a large discoloured patch above the bed which looks
as
if it's made up of something like sweat, hair oil, etc.

I would have used Sugar Soap to clean this wall but I heard that Sugar
Soap would probably cause lifting of the wallpaper which is under the
existing emulsion paint. Is this true?

It might do - after all, it's not that different a process to the way
you'd start to strip it... so why not just strip it anyway?

That way, you'd be sure the marks weren't going to grin through the
paint, and you'd have the chance to use a wallpaper (painted or
otherwise) or lining paper of your choice. There's always a chance that
painting a wall will loosen old wallpaper, leaving you with a horrible,
bubbled appearance, so go on, make a job of it, and re-paper the whole
room - or at least the wall concerned.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

either the patch is through people sitting on the bed
and rubbing sweaty hair etc against it,
or its like my walls
where the patches are from damp
coming down from the roof...