Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to pin groove timber ?

Anybody know what machinery/equipment is used to pin groove (or is it called
reeding?) timber batons? I've googled et al and can't find any info on it,
which leads me to think I may be using the wrong name for it. What I want
to end up with is the sides of timber batons grooved with parallel ribs each
about 4mm across and in relief (not grooved into the wood as in fluted
grooves). You see this in some garden structures, pergola legs etc. -
basically what I want to use it in myself.

I wondered if you could do it with a planer/jointer with special blades.
Anybody seen this done?

Anybody got any experience of this?

Many thanks,
Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mar 11, 1:22*pm, "Neil Ross" wrote:
Anybody know what machinery/equipment is used to pin groove (or is it called
reeding?) timber batons? *I've googled et al and can't find any info on it,
which leads me to think I may be using the wrong name for it. *What I want
to end up with is the sides of timber batons grooved with parallel ribs each
about 4mm across and in relief (not grooved into the wood as in fluted
grooves).

Either way, you still have "grooves." You have to start with more wood
and remove some of it with "grooves" to get the rest "in relief".

It would be less confusing if you described the profile, width and
depth of the material to be removed by the tool (the "grooves"),
unless you want to make the ribs and stick them on ;-)

You could certainly do it with a Router?

Unless I've totally misunderstood.

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Neil Ross" wrote in message
Anybody know what machinery/equipment is used to pin groove (or is it

called
reeding?) timber batons? I've googled et al and can't find any info on

it,
which leads me to think I may be using the wrong name for it. What I want
to end up with is the sides of timber batons grooved with parallel ribs

each
about 4mm across and in relief (not grooved into the wood as in fluted
grooves). You see this in some garden structures, pergola legs etc. -
basically what I want to use it in myself.

I wondered if you could do it with a planer/jointer with special blades.
Anybody seen this done?

Anybody got any experience of this?

Many thanks,
Neil

Ain't got a clue what ya mean? perhaps an ascii pic would help?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"George" wrote in message

"Neil Ross" wrote in message
[...]

Okay understood - I'll take a photo and post it somewhere for reference.

Cheers - Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Mar, 13:22, "Neil Ross" wrote:
Anybody know what machinery/equipment is used to pin groove (or is it called
reeding?) timber batons? I've googled et al and can't find any info on it,
which leads me to think I may be using the wrong name for it. What I want
to end up with is the sides of timber batons grooved with parallel ribs each
about 4mm across and in relief (not grooved into the wood as in fluted
grooves). You see this in some garden structures, pergola legs etc. -
basically what I want to use it in myself.

I wondered if you could do it with a planer/jointer with special blades.
Anybody seen this done?

Anybody got any experience of this?

Many thanks,
Neil

Well I fully understand what he means but then I am a competent
woodworker and can understand these descriptions which are quite
adequate.

You will need to look for access to a spindle moulder to do such a
moulding unless you either bodge it with a router or buy in mouldings
and plant them on the surface.

For spindle moulding cutters look at the Axminster website, or their
catalogue pages 80 to 90.

Rob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I think you're describing beading or reeding:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...ers-207674.htm

However you will be limited to the height of the cutter for the width
of your timber (or twice that if you can do a pass from the other
side).

I'd think you'd really want a router table to get a consistent finish.

Alternatively you could make up a jig and cut each reed individually,
if you're willing to put that much time into producing a moulding.

You did mention garden timber, so I guess this may be beyond the
capacity of a router. This would normally be done (in a professional
workshop) with a spindle moulder:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-C...-552-20834.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I think you're describing beading or reeding:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...ers-207674.htm

However you will be limited to the height of the cutter for the width
of your timber (or twice that if you can do a pass from the other
side).

I'd think you'd really want a router table to get a consistent finish.

Alternatively you could make up a jig and cut each reed individually,
if you're willing to put that much time into producing a moulding.

You did mention garden timber, so I guess this may be beyond the
capacity of a router. This would normally be done (in a professional
workshop) with a spindle moulder:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-C...ters-552-20834
..htm

Hah,now I see what he wants :-)

This will do it if he has a router table and 1/2" router.
http://tinyurl.com/37tnqv

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I think you're describing beading or reeding:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/category-...ers-207674.htm

However you will be limited to the height of the cutter for the width
of your timber (or twice that if you can do a pass from the other
side).

I'd think you'd really want a router table to get a consistent finish.

Alternatively you could make up a jig and cut each reed individually,
if you're willing to put that much time into producing a moulding.

You did mention garden timber, so I guess this may be beyond the
capacity of a router. This would normally be done (in a professional
workshop) with a spindle moulder:

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-C...-552-20834.htm

Yes the link showing the spindle moulder profile knife is pretty much what I
want, or would do. I just wondered if there was such a thing as planer
blades with profiled edges similar to that, which would have been ideal.

This is pretty much exactly the profile I was trying to explain
http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-P...ng-1-22915.htm
but ideally I would like to profile 100mm wide posts uniformly across their
width - see photo he
http://www.pages-uk.com/beading.jpg

I guess the router bits may have to do as a compromise.

Many thanks to all who replied,

Neil

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I just wondered if there was such a thing as planer
blades with profiled edges similar to that, which would have been ideal.

Thicknessers don't have the necessary tracking to keep a board in
alignment as it passes through. I guess it could be done on a planer,
but I've never heard of planer knives like that.

but ideally I would like to profile 100mm wide posts uniformly across their
width

Tricky without some serious machinery. You might manage it with that
axminster/perform bit with a bit extension (in a table with a beast
that size!) and 2 passes from each side - but it would be hard to
maintain everything in good alignment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Neil Ross" wrote in message
Anybody know what machinery/equipment is used to pin groove (or is it
called reeding?) timber batons? I've googled et al and can't find any
info on it, which leads me to think I may be using the wrong name for
it. What I want to end up with is the sides of timber batons grooved
with parallel ribs each about 4mm across and in relief (not grooved
into the wood as in fluted grooves). You see this in some garden
structures, pergola legs etc. - basically what I want to use it in
myself.

I wondered if you could do it with a planer/jointer with special
blades. Anybody seen this done?

Anybody got any experience of this?

I have a moulding (aka shaping) head for my Radial Arm saw. Takes a bit
of setting up, but works as a poor man's spindle moulder.

Mine's DeWalt kit, but see

http://www.toolkraft.com/Molding_Hea...al_Arm_Saw.htm

for some cutter examples. You can also make your own cutters - mild
steel is OK for short runs.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Autolycus wrote:

"Neil Ross" wrote in message
[...]

Used to be able to get those for sawbenches as well. Very tedious,
however you do it