Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Floor boards

I am planning to replace a worm-eaten floor with new tongue and groove
boards. In the past, these have shrunk after I have laid them. How
long should I wait to dry them out properly?

Thanks

Jonathan
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jonathan wrote:
I am planning to replace a worm-eaten floor with new tongue and groove
boards. In the past, these have shrunk after I have laid them. How
long should I wait to dry them out properly?

Thanks

Jonathan

Might be best to lay them but leave the fixing for a few weeks
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
Jonathan wrote:
I am planning to replace a worm-eaten floor with new tongue and groove
boards. In the past, these have shrunk after I have laid them. How
long should I wait to dry them out properly?

I acclimatised T&G softwood flooring destined for my bathroom for three
months before fitting. Still shrunk over the hot pipe runs. I'd guess a
decent hardwood would be better.

--
*If they arrest the Energizer Bunny, would they charge it with battery? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article
,
Jonathan wrote:
I am planning to replace a worm-eaten floor with new tongue and
groove boards. In the past, these have shrunk after I have laid
them. How long should I wait to dry them out properly?

I acclimatised T&G softwood flooring destined for my bathroom for
three months before fitting. Still shrunk over the hot pipe runs. I'd
guess a decent hardwood would be better.

T&G - hot pipe runs on top of joists, the same problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 5 Mar, 08:20, Jonathan wrote:
I am planning to replace a worm-eaten floor with new tongue and groove
boards. In the past, these have shrunk after I have laid them. How
long should I wait to dry them out properly?

Thanks

Jonathan

Dear Jonathon
The answer depends on the ambient temperature and rh. The simplest way
to find out is to measure them at weekly intervals and plot a graph of
width v time supplemented by similar measurements of the moisture
content - preferably using a capacitance, microwave or deep probe damp
meter.
If the room is at the temperature that it will eventually be at the
likely answer is several weeks
It also depends on the staring mc!
Chris