Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cutting the metal tube of a blind

Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/03/2008 09:09, freecycle wrote:

her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Ang^H^H^H

You could have roughly cut it slightly over-length and then filed it down.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMC TMC is offline

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 02/03/2008 09:09, freecycle wrote:

her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Ang^H^H^H

You could have roughly cut it slightly over-length and then filed it down.

Or used a dremel with cutting disk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"TMC" wrote in message

"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 02/03/2008 09:09, freecycle wrote:

her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Ang^H^H^H

You could have roughly cut it slightly over-length and then filed it
down.

Or used a dremel with cutting disk

Perhaps the saw blade wasn't a good one - or was too coarse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Rod is offline

John wrote:
"TMC" wrote in message
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
On 02/03/2008 09:09, freecycle wrote:

her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?
Ang^H^H^H

You could have roughly cut it slightly over-length and then filed it
down.

Or used a dremel with cutting disk

Perhaps the saw blade wasn't a good one - or was too coarse.

Or the blade was not in sufficient tension?

Were there no instructions with the blind?

--
Rod

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"freecycle" wrote in message
Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

I used a hacksaw; the cut was a bit jagged but when the plastic end was put
on it concealed any minor imperfections.

I also filed any sharp bits.

Junior hacksaw should be fine as long as the blade is sharp and under
tension.

One thing - IIRC I clamped the metal bit in my Workmate to keep it stable
whilst I cut.
This stopped it flexing during cuttting and made cutting a straight(ish)
line easier.
These metal bits are medium flimsy so a firm grip on them is essential.

HTH

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

freecycle wrote:
Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Use this as an excuse to treat yourself to a Dremel and once you have it,
use one of the cutting discs - brilliant job, done in minutes with no bother
at all.

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:09:57 UTC, freecycle wrote:

Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Plumber's pipe cutter?

http://www.diybanter.com
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2 Mar 2008 11:34:42 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:09:57 UTC, freecycle wrote:

Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Plumber's pipe cutter?

That's probably what I'd have used as well altho' the diameter of the
pipe isn't known .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 2 Mar 2008 11:34:42 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:09:57 UTC, freecycle wrote:

Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Plumber's pipe cutter?

That's probably what I'd have used as well altho' the diameter of the
pipe isn't known .

Adjustable pipe cutter then.

Adasm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On 2 Mar 2008 11:34:42 GMT, "Bob Eager" wrote:

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:09:57 UTC, freecycle wrote:

Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Plumber's pipe cutter?

That's probably what I'd have used as well altho' the diameter of the
pipe isn't known .

I've just fitted a couple of metal-tubed blinds, one from Ikea, one from
Argos. The tubes were around 3/4" diameter, very thin steel, and had a
clenched seam. They were sods to cut with a junior hacksaw, even
rotating the tube so that there were always several teeth in contact
with steel. The blind fabric is already attached so solutions involving
flying sparks are perhaps inappropriate (so not the chop saw), and I
suspect the seam would give a pipe-cutter problems.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged
metal that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this
time, trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Plumber's pipe cutter?

That's probably what I'd have used as well altho' the diameter of the
pipe isn't known .

Adjustable pipe cutter then.

Thats what I use + hacksaw on the seam.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The message

from freecycle contains these words:

Hi,
her-indoors bought a blind from Ikea and asked me to put it up,
and I needed to cut the metal tube it rolled on.
For the first cut I used a hacksaw, but it left so much jagged metal
that I cut it again. I used a junior hacksaw freehand this time,
trying to cut on a line I'd drawn. The blade bent and buckled
so much that the end was in and out when I'd finished.
What tool should I have used?

Hmm ........... no-one's come up with the answer I would use without any
doubt -- bandsaw with a fine metal-cutting blade. I keep an old BBS20
set up permanently for such jobs.A perfect result every time.

cutting copper tube Arch Woodturning 7 February 25th 07 04:15 PM
Threaded metal tube for lamp holders - whats it called? Nick UK diy 3 August 28th 06 11:40 AM
Cutting galvanised steel tube Andy Hall UK diy 54 July 18th 06 11:10 AM
drilling holes in paper - source of metal tube? jkn UK diy 31 March 31st 06 03:36 AM
Turning large cones to center a tube for cutting Terry Clark Woodturning 10 March 14th 04 08:51 PM